kimber question

614busa

I was looking to buy a kimber 1911 but when I was looking it over I couldn't get the hammer to stay cocked I tried it with the mag in out I tried it with in the head it just won't and i can't get the safety on anybody know what's wrong with it?

I'm not getting it.... Is the hammer not holding in the cocked possission? If so, bad sear (leaf) spring, located under the main spring housing. Or are you attemping to engage the safe in other than a full cock possition, if so it wont fly. Uncocked and the half cock possition is the safety.

Edited by fazer1sniper

There are a few 1911's that have either been converted or came from the factory as a double action trigger design. I don't know that Kimber has made one though, and even still the frame safety would work if it was. My 2cents would be that something inside the gun was either broken or not assembled correctly. It would be easy enough to troubleshoot if you could take the frame safety out of the gun and remove the grip safety. That would give you more access to the hammer and sear to see what was going on in the back of the gun. Doubt a gun shop or even private owner would be keen on you stripping their gun before you bought it though. If you want to know the procedure to take it apart it is actually really easy. I can get mine apart without any tools but requires a pen tip or small screwdriver to depress one of the springs to put it back together. I'm sure there are some video's around that explain it.

:+15million:

$300 for a Kimber, buy it broken. Won't cost much to fix and you will be way ahead of a new one. You can get a hammer/sear/dis-connector kit from Brownells for $40 and spend maybe an hours labor at a good gunsmith to have it fitted and you are golden. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41559/avs|Make_3=1911/Product/1911_AUTO_DISCONNECTOR

Edited by vf1000ride

This is usually the last issue you have with a new kimber... They come from the factory stiff as hell and you have to run them to get them nice and hot before they act like a real gun... slide is gritty - hammers are stiff - saftey and catch at stiff, but that is all due to being a new quality gun with tight tolerances.

Not my first choice but a very quality weapon.