17 hmr

speedytriple

So my second oldest is wanting to learn to shoot. I am thinking about passing my 22 down to my oldest and giving the 22 he used to his younger brother. Which leaves me without a small game gun. I am thinking about a 17 to replace the 22. Opinions, would be used for small game and plinking.

Man my first was a 22mag, bricks of ammo are not cheap, but they are fun. And as stated explode the groundhogs etc.

The 17hmr is just like a 22 LR and ammo is a little more expensive. Personally, when I teach my little ones(future that is) to shoot, it ll be a 22lr because ammo is like 20 bux for 500 rounds.

Ammo cost is not a concern. It will be used for hunting mostly, with some target shooting here and there. If I am gonna blow thru ammo I will use one of my 22lr. So .17hmr no good for squirrels? I am planning a hunting trip this spring or summer with my two oldest boys for rabbit/squirrel I figure the 17 has a little better range on it then a 22lr. Tom let me know what kind of price your looking for on your savage.

I have the Savage 17 and it's like a little laser stinger round. at 100, it's dead flat (2550 ft/s, IIRC) and the holes are as close as you are steady. As the others have said, not nearly as cheap as 22LR, but similar to the 22WM within a dollar per 50 box most places.

As far as shooting little critters, I can see how it wouldn't leave much to reclaim once they're hit. We had a 50yd fruit target day at a friend's farm once, just to compare the effects of 22LR to the HMR, and the difference was intense. While the 22LR shot clean little holes all day, the HMR (with a hollow point spitzer round) punched a perfectly-shaped 6-pointed star entry hole and blew the whole back out of a small watermelon. Impressive for such a little guy. Just like jbot.

The only drawback I've found is that the speed and trajectory of the HMR give a false sense of accuracy at traditional 22LR distances, and when you go to longer ranges, the bullet lacks the mass of most long-range rounds and can really float away with decent cross-winds past 150-200yds. It's not a drawback in the traditional sense, but it really brings you back to reality once you're done with the 100yd playtime stuff.

• Upvote 1

I have shot one yote and 3 ground hogs...

The hogs were clean, the yote not so much... One of the only times I actually regretted pulling the trigger. Ended up shooting 2 more times to get the clean head shot...

When we investigated, the shots were all clean in the head but looked as if one hit him in the top of the head and came out the back of his neck...

Edited by Beegreenstrings

I have been shooting this little screamer for a few years now. I have found it to be very accurate and extremely distructive. It's a little expensive for plinking but it will make a good kill on small ground hog size game and smaller out to about 150 yards. Not to mention it is just a blast to shoot.

Here is a picture I took of a 30-06 case I shot at 50 yards. It cut through it just like butter.

Jim

I have been shooting this little screamer for a few years now. I have found it to be very accurate and extremely distructive. It's a little expensive for plinking but it will make a good kill on small ground hog size game and smaller out to about 150 yards. Not to mention it is just a blast to shoot.

Here is a picture I took of a 30-06 case I shot at 50 yards. It cut through it just like butter.

Jim

lol that is baller.

i can't shoot worth a damn.