Diavel - DO WANT

John

esp after reading the review in motorcyclist this month.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't to see Ducati's lead test rider Alessandro Valia exit the factory's back gate sideways and spewing tire smoke, then launch into a three-gear power wheelie. Reaching the opposite end of the track at almost 100 mph, he toed the rear brake and pitched the duct tape-disguised prototype into a tire-howling, full-lock, supermoto-style slide. "That's not normal cruiser behavior," I thought to myself.

they had a ride review too, but its not online.

can i borrow some cash from you guys?

http://www.diavel.ducati.com/jsp/en/index/index.jsp

21-Diavel-Carbon.jpg

122_1103_06_o+2011_ducati_diavel_test_rider+.jpg

I don't want, but I think it's a viable alternative for a VRod. They're both around the same price point and the Diavel will walk all over the Harley in the performance department.

Problem is, I don't think the same demo of consumers that consider the VRod would consider a Diavel, but maybe it's a misconception on my part that VRod owners are pro-American and would write off Ducati because it was Italian, or wouldn't bother researching alternatives because all they know is "Harley" -- they only want a Harley. Though I think the owners of either bike have two important things in common:

-Power cruiser

-Exclusivity of brand

there was an article on hell for leather regarding who is buying the diavel.

The Ducati Diavel is supposed to be something of a segment buster, giving Ducati access to people who can’t or won’t ride a sportsbike and giving cruiser riders a Ducati-badged alternative. Interested to see who, exactly, is placing orders for the 162bhp muscle bike, we asked Ducati North America to share demographic data gleaned from deposits so far.

Ducati doesn’t have a formal system for collecting demographics from its dealers on customers placing deposits, so instead we have anecdotal evidence related to DNA by its dealers. We’ll categorize the observations by trends most dealers observed in most customers and trends that aren’t so universal, but still appear to be widespread.

Strongest Trends:

- Most people placing Diavel orders are existing riders.

- Most Diavel customers are 50 or older.

- The Diavel is attracting more women than typical Ducatis. Dealers report these women cite the seat height as the reason. At 30.3 inches high, it’s equal to the Monster 696.

Strong Trends:

- Some Harley riders are swapping their bikes for the Diavel, mostly V-Rod owners.

- Dealers report most new faces they’re seeing are staunchly opposed to owning Japanese products.

- Some former Ducati customers are returning to the brand from Harley specifically for the Diavel.

Local Trends:

- In Southern California, most Diavel buyers are existing Ducati customers. That’s largely counter to what dealers are seeing elsewhere in the country.

- Dealers in Texas report a strong uptick in deposits after the Diavel was shown at the Dallas motorcycle show. Some even report customers who had no interest in the Diavel ended up ordering it after seeing it in person.

Additionally, Ducati reports that most major dealers have already taken 10-15 deposits since the Diavel was unveiled at EICMA a month ago. That’s an strong sign that, like the Ducati Multistrada 1200, the Diavel will be a sales success.

So what does all this tell us? Well, there’s nothing terribly unexpected here. The $16,995 Diavel is intended to translate Ducati brand values like performance, handling and technology to a demographic looking for an easier riding experience. That the Diavel is bringing customers back to the brand from Harley is perhaps the strongest indication of its intention. The performance cruiser gives Ducati a way to hang on to high end customers once they’ve aged out of an 1198 or even a Multistrada.

That most regions report customers aren’t current Ducati owners is also a strong sign of its wide appeal and that Ducati is making its range more diverse. The female customers are an indication of how they’ve done this, delivering a bike that’s at once exceptionally friendly — low seat, light weight, traction control and other rider aids — yet also seen as being high performance. That combination is something that eluded established rivals like the VMAX, B-King and even the V-Rod, which opt for intimidation over approachability.

A friendly, fast, comfortable performance cruiser looks to be a winning combination.

Riding position. You sit very upright in a more "standard" position as opposed to the stink bug position of a sport bike. I sat on one at IMS Cleveland this weekend, and found it to be very comfortable. Compared to other bikes around that price point, it looks like a winner. Definitely would buy over the V-Max.

I haven't compared the specs to other sportbikes, but the rake looks larger, the wheelbase longer, and the weight is higher than a sportbike of comparable design. From the Ducati website...

Diavel: Rake = 28* / Wheelbase = 1590mm (62.6in) / Weight (Dry) = 207kg (456lb)

1198: Rake = 24.5* / Wheelbase = 1430mm (56.3in)/ Weight (Dry) = 171kg (377lb)

"The Diavel is not a chopper," Domenicali says, curtly. "It has some cruiser elements in the wheelbase and rake, but it's not a foot-forward bike." It's not a conventional naked bike, either. The riding position is similar to the Monster, and the handling too, though the Diavel is bigger in dimension and much more comfortable. Ducati's test department reports that this is the quickest-accelerating and best-braking bike the company has ever built-outsprinting and outbraking even the 1198-but it's certainly not a sportbike. It's a bike that defies categorization by design.

Riding position. You sit very upright in a more "standard" position as opposed to the stink bug position of a sport bike. I sat on one at IMS Cleveland this weekend, and found it to be very comfortable. Compared to other bikes around that price point, it looks like a winner. Definitely would buy over the V-Max.

If not a sport bike the riding position is closer to a sport tourer than a cruiser. It looks similar to the riding position on our 650r.

I haven't compared the specs to other sportbikes, but the rake looks larger, the wheelbase longer, and the weight is higher than a sportbike of comparable design. From the Ducati website...

Diavel: Rake = 28* / Wheelbase = 1590mm (62.6in) / Weight (Dry) = 207kg (456lb)

1198: Rake = 24.5* / Wheelbase = 1430mm (56.3in)/ Weight (Dry) = 171kg (377lb)

That was my first thought but while eyeballing it, it didn't seem like there was enough difference (combined with seating and peg position) to move it from sportbike to cruiser really.

Saw it at the show. That thing is shit hot.

Mehhh... I was underwhelmed & not impressed when I saw it there. I thought it looked kinda cheap with all the black plastic on the rear end/hugger. Kinda reminded me of a Buell in that regard. Don't like the elongated headlight scoop/shroud either

Too much plastic, not enough frame for a Duc, plus the sidescoops make it look like a vMax wannabe

Edited by Fonzie

I sat on it at the show and didn't like the position. It felt like I was leaning backwards instead of upright. Now the Steetfighter on the other hand was "hot as hell" and I do want!!!!

Edited by cmh_sprint