dang Remington 887 malfunction

scottb

Took my brand new Remington 887 pump shotgun to the range today. I loaded 3 shells into the mag tube and racked the slide. I fired the round, racked the slide rearward to eject the spent round, but could not get the slide to move forward to pick up the next round. I was able to remove the 2 shells from the mag tube my pushing down on a lever at the end of the mag well and the shells came out on the chamber side. The shells did not fit going out the end of the mag tube that is away from the chamber due to the dimples in that end of the mag tube.

I have tried pressing in on the slide release lever, but can not get the slide to relase and move forward.

I have not had positive out of the box experiences with Remington. My brand new Rem 870 started having extraction issues after 10 rounds.

Dang it !!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucks dude. I had a problem like that on my 870. First time I had racked the slide it jammed. Hasn't since then, thinking it was just a break in issue. I fired 4 through mine today going after some rabbits. Just make sure you rack the slide hard back and forward. Don't "limp wrist" it.

I sprayed it CLP, and worked the slide manually about 20 times since i got it in December, but have not fired it until today.

It is an 887 that can use 2 3/4, 3 or 3 1/2 shells. I had a 2 3/4 Remington game load in it. I am looking on the Internet on how to get the slide free so i can rack it forward.

I was concerned about having the shells stuck in the mag tube so while i was at the range, i removed the barrel and mag tube end cap, spring follower and that other plastic spacer.. I figured if the barrel was removed and IF some how I got pulled over, technically would not be a functional fire arm and no problems with the shells stuck in the mag tube.

I was able to get the shells out while at the range. I can see when i press "slide release" button, one little finger item lifts up on the right side of the chamber, but can not see anything moving on left side of the chamber to allow the slide to go forward.

So right now, the shotgun does not have any sheels in the mag tube or the barrel on it

I am not sure if can remove the trigger assembly, I see the 2 pins that i would have to remove, but i think with the forearm all the way rearward, not sure the trigger assembly would be removeable. The 887 owners manual indicates to have the forarm all the way forward to remove the trigger assembly. I can try to remove the trigger assembly.

Pull the mag spring as stated. Take the barrel off, Get a small screw driver and press on the magazine latch, located just under the port. Has a little square looking lump that sticks out of the edge of the magazine tube (to see it out of the gun it is a long spring steel piece approx. 6-7" in length, smooth for the first 3 inches and then has a rib on it that runs toward the end. at the end there is a sort of jagged section that has a small dimple that fits just to the side of the tube to hold it in place). Press in on the square latch part and the shells should pass by it.

Would be a lot easier to show you but I am doing the best I can, to describe it. Just tore the 870 down and have the piece laying in front of me.

Thanks BEE, I was able to remove the shells while at the range by pressing on the area your are describing.

I contacted Remington and they are sending out a new bolt assembly. Tech guy indicated the steps in the owners manual are correct. I asked what happens if i am unable to get this replaced. He indicated to contact them and send it in for repair.

Should have the replacement bolt by the end of the week.

So now, off to locate some 887 tear down videos...

Beretta... Benelli... they are both excellent weapons. i can't argue with you there. but i personally am fond of Benelli's :) My bottom line Nova pump has served me well without a hiccup throw thousands of rounds.

Ok, so i get a package from Remington today. When I spoke to the customer service guy, he said he would send out a "bolt assembly". I get the soft-sided mailer open, and the pick list indicates " port cover". I open the smaller mailer, and the part inside is the red plastic insert which is a replacement site.No bolt, no port cover, just a light bright peg. WTF?

The frustration continues.....