dang Remington 887 malfunction

scottb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

perhaps their quality is going down hill...my brand new 870 is having extraction issues....took it back to gander and they looked it over, filed down two burrs, and told me it should be fine....now its worse than before....going back today, and this time i took a video of the issue im having since the guy there tried to duplicate it and he couldnt so he sent me packing... its only fte spent rounds, not live ones...i have no idea why

I got the new parts installed in the 887. Did not take long at all. It took more time to cover the coffee table with cardboard / newspaper and get tools/ cleaning kit than it did to actually remove and replace the parts. I used the owners manual on-line so I would not get the finger prints on the paper manual that was included with the shotgun.

I should have bought a Mossburg 500 or saved up a bit and got a Benelli Nova like I wanted. The M887 has a 3 year warranty, but hope I wont need to use it again.

Jan 2009, my brand new 870 home defense failed to extract spent shell within the first 15 shells. Turns out the place I bought it from was not a Remington repair center. So I would either have to send to Remington, or drive to Erie PA to the closest repair center, if I wanted to use the warranty. Eventually it cleared up after about 100 shells through it.

So, I keep a heavy screwdriver,hammer and a center punch in my range bag every time I bring the Remingtons to the range, just in case.

ive got about 150 through mine and the more i shoot it the more it FTE

Fail to extract or fail to eject? Are you stroking it like a man? Sometimes if I open the gun lazily I need to stick my finger in there and pull the spent case out of the receiver.

You ever clean the thing?

failure to eject - and yes ive tried racking it harder....and its grabbing but still getting hung up, then you have to rack it as hard as you can about 30 times before it finally catches and comes out

i cleaned it when i bought it and i clean it after every time i shoot it

i have a video ill show you what i mean

I can't see how there could be much of a break in period for a pump. You should be able ot operate a dirty pump with no issues. Call it broke.

Edited by Gump

video

Ahh, that's not what I had in mind. I wouldn't call that a failure to extract or eject, that's just a failure to open. Really couldn't tell you if that's a defect or something that will break in.

I can't see how there could be much of a break in period for a pump. You should be able ot operate a dirty pump with no issues. Call it broke.

When mine was new it was really tight and hard to rack smoothly unless you were seriously deliberate about it. There was also a build up effect, probably of debris from coatings and whatnot of parts bedding in. These days it's beautiful, and I did go most of the summer without cleaning it with no ill effect.