2 stroke vs 4 stroke

Steve Butters

^ Yeah, it really depends on what kind of 4 stroke you're talking about. A CRF 230 or TTR230 will need very little maintenance. But, don't go riding mx tracks with it. I would be skittish about buying a used 4 stroke mx bike. It really can cost more to rebuild it than it's worth.

I have always ridden 2 strokes. A gearing change and heavier flywheel will help you to lug it. Right now though I'm riding a kx100 instead of a 125 and I find I can do mx or trails with it just fine in stock form. Admittedly, that's too small of a bike for many people.

KTM makes many 2 strokes that work just fine on trails. You can buy pretty much anything from them between their 105 and the 300 to suit your needs.

• 1 month later...

picked up a yz250...took it around the block and it scared the shit out of me! i will definitely need to practice on it....granted, i havent even been on a bike in a year now, and ive never ridden a 2 stroke (my last dirt bike was in 07 and it was a 250f).... going to ride it around the neighborhood for awhile before i dare take it off road anywhere lol

its not what i expected at all...it red lines after like 3 seconds of throttle and in 1st and 2nd at 3/4 throttle it pulls up the front lol...just trying to take it easy and keep two wheels on the ground for awhile

i have a feeling ill wear out the clutch kinda quick trying to learn how to ride this thing.... it was kinda... WOT 1-2-3 then clutch and brake for awhile lol....then feathered the clutch around corners or held it in completely...rode it like a total noob lol

2011-06-13_16-46-59_9431.jpg

rear suspension is adjusted all the way down - PO was short...need to raise it back up

Edited by Steve Butters

You could add a flywheel weight (9oz. or so) to take away some of the "hit" and it might be easier for you to ride then. No need to be feathering the clutch on a 250 unless you are coming out of a deep hole or rut, downshift!

Definitely raise the suspension back up, I bet it handles like shit the way it's pictured.

i think tomorrow maybe ill take it over to the small sections of dirt in my neighborhood when i have some gear on and give it a little more of an effort....i took it around the block in shorts, sleeveless shirt, and no helmet...makes me more nervous and cautious riding like that

Looks fun, I rode an old kdx200 and it was wicked fast. The worst part is the fact my cousin failed to mention it had no front brakes whatsoever. After he put them on it was fun to ride for hours until the flat seat rashed the inside of my legs.

Glad you wear gear, my dad never wears gear and went full throttle down the hill not knowing the brakes were out. Needless to say he came back with shit in his pants

Looks fun, I rode an old kdx200 and it was wicked fast. The worst part is the fact my cousin failed to mention it had no front brakes whatsoever. After he put them on it was fun to ride for hours until the flat seat rashed the inside of my legs.

Glad you wear gear, my dad never wears gear and went full throttle down the hill not knowing the brakes were out. Needless to say he came back with shit in his pants

the brakes on this bike work great!....havent been on a bike in so long ive gotten a bad habit of only using the front brake (like i did on my grizzly)...trying to break that habit also

and i usually always wear gear off road...ive wrecked too many times lol....i need to pick up some dirt pants - i dropped my yz250f on myself in some thick mud and kinda sank down in it and i couldnt get up - ponyjr had to pick the bike up off me...woulda got a nasty burn if it wasnt for my gear...saved my noggin a few times too lol

low range it chugs along ok...WOT it runs like a champ....half-3/4 throttle is a little lumpy in the midrange....is that how these are supposed to be? or should i mess with the air screw and/or jets? PO said he rejetted it a few days prior - so im thinking the air screw may need adjusted or something but i dont know much about 2 strokes

It should be peppy all the way through the throttle, unless you are lugging around in 3rd-5th gear. Make sure air filter is clean would be first.

That bike sure looks familiar.....hmmmmm

**Edit** I'm pretty sure that's one of my buddies old bikes. If it is, he had jetting issues with it even back then.

Edited by Ron505

bought it in lancaster from some kids at an auto shop

maybe ill play with the air screw some and if that doesnt work ill start messing with jets...it runs strong for the most part, just at certain points in the rev range it kinda stumbles...probably too rich...i thought it could be me riding it wrong, but i took it out today and gave it a good beating and had the same results.....i read that if you rev it on the stand and its crisp all the way through the rev range that the jets are ok, and on the stand it revs just fine....so if they are wrong, i dont think theyre too wrong

Edited by Steve Butters

2smokes are sadly a dying breed.......unfortunate, but inevitable. They'll become backwoods relics in the next 10-20 yrs. Buy the newest model you can between a 250-380cc 2stroke woods weapon, even in stock form/jetting they have PLENTY of power for trails, hills, and WFO to hang with about anything 4-cycle - and if you're not racing it, no topend worries but every few seasons unless you're putting 20hrs a week in all summer - WAY cheaper/easier rebuild than valvetrain components/headwork.

Just go easy at first and after a few rides, you'll be roostin' your buddies and having the time of your life!

Completely untrue. 2-strokes are alive and kicking in both woods and MX arenas. We at KTM have an R&D pipeline running well beyond the years you feel they will die out. Now, will the Big 4 continue? Probably not. They are not focused on 2 strokes as their game plan is not centered around them.

KTM on the other hand along with Husaberg, Husky, Beta, Gas-Gas, etc are still making and developing 2 strokes. Of course, we at KTM are running a little stronger and are developing new generation 2 strokes, but the idea is that they are far from going away.

Now, a few things to consider. One, an MX based 2 stroke used for woods is not a good idea. You hear guys using flywheel weights to tame the hit they possess and using them in the woods. A good woods 2 stroke will outshine an MX 2 stroke with a flywheel weight... I can slap you on a 150 XC and you'll crush a 250 MX based machine... Now, go and use an XC on an MX track and the difference may be smaller depending on your riding style and ability. But, if you are a hard core MX rider and jump on an XC based machine, the difference is going to be seen in suspension and the hit needed to go fast.

Bottom line is this. In your budget area, you probably cannot get a woods 2 stroke machine. You will have to settle for an MX based machine. So, you need to look at flywheel weights and consider adapting it to woods riding...

But, to those that say the 2 stroke is a dying breed... Check out the line up we have for 2012... LOOOOOONG from dead.

Don't hold your breath. Yes, you're right, there have been some major advances in 2 stroke technology, but the industry at large has moved on. After this season, there won't be any more ring dingers in any major racing series.

Dude, it is mis-information like this that is causing people to get the wrong idea. One, no - there WILL be 2 strokes in every major racing series. If you mean the AMA Pro Level, you are right. The reason being is the fact that the 4 strokes are REALLY good and advancement in their technology dictates that they are faster and better choices. However, any MAJOR endure series, Hare Scramble, GNCC, World Enduro, etc., etc., etc., and you will see an abundance of 2 strokes.

We are 60-80% of that market and have technology that WE are working on that the others are not. That is because one, their R&D pipeline has struggled in this economy. We have R&D development well beyond years from now. We aren't like the big 4 in that we are holding back development due to lack of resources.

Direct Injection is real and there is only one company really pushing hard with it. The biggest issue is the size of the package and getting it to work the way we want it to. When it comes, you'll be blown away. Guaranteed. And, when it comes, it will be a game changer 100%...

But, there are MANY 2 strokes in MAJOR racing series throughout the world. And, they aren't going to vanish next season...

brian - the hit is something im getting more used to...i find myself on this thing now just trying to choke some more power out of it lol....this jetting issue is really holding me back...the air screw was turned out like 5 or 6 turns, so i set it back to 1.5 like it should, and im going to work on it from there...its running too rich....wiped off spark plug and it ran like a raped ape all the way down my street...turned around and on the way back it got back to stuttering....its no big deal, i like tinkering anyways lol...if something runs 100%, i tend to get bored with it (aside from my daily ride that i rely on)

brian - the hit is something im getting more used to...i find myself on this thing now just trying to choke some more power out of it lol....this jetting issue is really holding me back...the air screw was turned out like 5 or 6 turns, so i set it back to 1.5 like it should, and im going to work on it from there...its running too rich....wiped off spark plug and it ran like a raped ape all the way down my street...turned around and on the way back it got back to stuttering....its no big deal, i like tinkering anyways lol...if something runs 100%, i tend to get bored with it (aside from my daily ride that i rely on)

That's the beauty with smokers. You are always going to have a blast. They really are an awesome thing to ride. Good luck with it and hopefully, we will meet at somewhere like Briar Cliff. If I ever get time to ride my MX bike...