Valve Job!!

bowdog

I have a 2004 Yamaha R6 that is running a little rough at stop lights "when it wants too"... What happens is when i come to a stop light my RPM's fluctuate from 1000 down to 200 and almost wants to stall (only every now and then). I am being told maybe i need my valves adjusted? Talked to the people that took over Hines MotorSports on 23 and they told me about $300. Anyone have any ideas if this is where i should start, and if it is, is $300 a fair price?

I have a 2004 Yamaha R6 that is running a little rough at stop lights "when it wants too"... What happens is when i come to a stop light my RPM's fluctuate from 1000 down to 200 and almost wants to stall (only every now and then). I am being told maybe i need my valves adjusted? Talked to the people that took over Hines MotorSports on 23 and they told me about $300. Anyone have any ideas if this is where i should start, and if it is, is $300 a fair price?

I don't know about the problem, but I was at Ohio Motorcycle in Hilliard yesterday and I was told a valve adjustment on my '94 FZR would be about $360.

Thanks, this problem started at the end of last year while riding in 70 degree temps and i have not had it out yet this year... Another thing is when i am out riding hard with the boys it does it much more often, and when i have the girlfriend on the back and am riding easy it doesnt seem to happen as much?!? I have a M4 full system with a power commander and velocity stacks... The only thing i have done so far is replace my spark plugs and obviously it did not help. i appreciate all the help!!

Edited by bowdog

Ok thank you, when it warms up i will try to adjust... just hate to take to a shop and just let them do whatever and it end up costing me thousands when it was something simple i could have done myself.

A "hunting" idle is a symptom of a lean fuel condition. Or as Issac's Papa said, a vacuum leak. Same difference. Too much air or not enough fuel. A vacuum leak can quickly go to an engine stalls condition.

edit: This might be something that goes away when it warms up outside. Or not...

A too tight valve adjustment is similar, but it would also run a bit off at higher rpms, and not just at idle.

And not likely in cold temperatures, it's usually a problem at higher temperatures.

Edited by ReconRat

:D Sweet!! I live in Reynoldsbug and am more than willing to pay someone that knows what they are doing vs me messing something up!! :bow: Let me know when you would have some time to check it out?!?!?

It was done by the previous owner before i purchased the bike out of Kenntucky. I have had the bike for three years with no problems now this started... Rode the bike around the neighborhood last night and it is doing the same thing that is was when i put it up last year.

Yours does not sound like valves but is this really what it costs for a simple valve adjustment? I know the shim under bucket is more trouble than screw and locknut but WOW!. I can do the valve adjustment on my Guzzi with common hand tools and .75 hour labor.