Superhawk 996

Beegreenstrings

OK so I have been thinking of buying this 2002 CBR 929 RR and all of a sudden a Superhawk 996 that is actually worth looking at comes available. Beautiful. Black w/red decals. Dual Yoshi's. Looks brand new....

What can everyone tell me about them?

I would not even consider it but I was told it is about as close to a RC51 you can get and is still comfortable to ride. Are they just saying that because it is a V-twin?

Bike looks awesome from the pictures the guy sent me.

Once you're on a sportbike vtwin, you'll never look back.

I love my Hayabusa, but nothing puts a smile on my face like firing up the SV and twisting the throttle.

As far as the chickenhawk, I'm not really sure of any issues (I know the RC51s were prone to overheating, but I don't think the 996s were -- so I think that was a fairing vs. radiator placement issue on the RCs). I THINK the 996 don't have the over-the-bars fairing stay, which I like better, but that's personal preference.

Take cash, give cash, joyride, smile, leave cash with seller, take bike home.

Like Justin said, once you go big twin, there's no going back. Peak horsepower be damned.

The RCs run hot, but they seem to run normal there. Does the hawk have side radiators? Expect it to warm your legs nicely if it does. Seating on the hawk is definitely more comfortable.

1st bike, wish I had NEVER gotten rid of it, but making 1500 on hte deal was worth it. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Mods were cheap, easy, monster on hte low end.

Same engine as the RC51 for the most part, same exhaust, JRM got the differences right, you can even get a lower fairing for the 99 to make it sportier, mine didn't have that, but was still awesome.

Much more comfortable than my RC was to ride, spent a lot of hours on it early on, then just sold it for a markup and moved on.

That's the same color of my 996 I sold 2 years ago. Miss her.

The chickenhawk is a great ride, and as JRMMiii said, once you go there, you'll never go back (or at least without). One problem though that is rampant with Superhawks is the RR getting cooked. Then again it's a Honda, so electrical issues are assumed with ownership. That aside, I would just be regurgitating the stuff from JRMM and madcat. If I had disposable cash I'd pick one up just to have for running around town. Good luck with the decision!

i love mine and wouldnt sell even to make a few $. check out superhawkforum.com lots of info...the price on them has dropped so much recently also. most fun ive ever had on a bike and ins calls it a sport touring bike so it's much cheaper for me.

Way back when I bought my Speed Triple, the two finalists were the Speedy and a SuperHawk. It was a tough decision and I probably would have been happy either way, but the triple won in the end.

So since I have never owned a Superhawk, I'm no expert, but the one common complaint that nobody has mentioned yet is range. Those big carbs are thirsty and the tank's not that big. Maybe not an issue, depending on how/where you ride, but some sport-touring types find it annoying to have to stop for gas every 110 miles or so.

I've owned all three. And there is nothing like the big twins. The shawk is the best for the street, best ergos. The RC and Shawk don't have the same engine. Rc is a 999cc Shawk 996. One is a Race bike the other is a sport tourer. Both have the side mount radiatiors. Both are wonderfull bikes. The 929s are nice too but nothing makes me smile like a big twin at 10k rpms..=) The sound The power....Damn I miss them both but the RC more so...crashing sucks