Power Lines versus trees...

Scruit

Anyone know the rules for how high/close a tree can be to a power line before the power company comes out the 'fix' it.

My neighbor just south of me has been notified that one of the trees at the end of his driveway has to come down (40' tall, trunk is 10' from the power line) and a oak that is 50' tall and 20' from the power line has to be trimmed severely.

My neighbor to the north is losing a tree that is also 40' tall and the trunk is 10' from the power lines.

All along the road frontage of my proper there is a row of 8 pine trees that are all 25-35' tall and the trunks are 15' from the power line.

Is there some magic formula they use to decide which trees stay and which get cut? Am I gonna be on the shit list in a couple of years? :mad:

I understand the need to keep trees from the power lines, so if they have to be dealt with then it's for the best. Still, I'd hate to lose all my trees.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4933.15 ? I can't find any thing specific. Tell them no in writing quickly and maybe you can get them pruned only. I do know that they can't sink an anchor for a guy wire to a pole without your permission. Even thought they will act like they can. Went thru this before. They would eventually have to pay you.

AEP brochure on "Understanding Tree Trimming Efforts" (pdf)

found here: https://www.aepohio.com/info/treetrimming/Default.aspx

cliff's notes:

1. AEP Ohio Forester checks first, and looks for:

2. Trees directly under power lines

3. overhanging branches and limbs

4. hazardous trees

5. trees with potential to contact power lines in the near future

6. objective is to remove obstructions to provide at least 10 feet of clearance from the line.

edit: 7. if a tree looks "climbable" to kids, close to a power line, it comes down immediately.

edit: I've actually seen big U shaped notches cut out of the tops of small/medium trees that wouldn't grow much taller.

I told that neighbor it was dumb to plant directly under the power line. Look up first, to see where the tree will grow.

Edited by ReconRat

In my case (and I just measured) the trunks of the trees are exactly 20' from the line of power poles and the tallest tree is about the same height as the power lines. This is on my property and not in the easement.

Both of my neighbors' doomed trees are much closer to the power lines, much taller, and actually have branches within a couple feet of the power lines. I'm sure those trees are in their property.

My neighbor's oak tree is actually about 30' from the power lines, but about 50' tall, so if it falls towards the road it will hit the power lines. That tree is well on his property and the power company are going to prune that one too.

I'm pretty sure that if you are able to deny the power company the ability to prune/remove the tree then you are thereby accepting the liability created by the dangerous tree.

Edited by Scruit

There's no way they can cut down trees that if they fall down would hit the utility lines. If you drive down any road that would include millions of trees. Last time the power company cut my trees I pointed out the trees a foot away from power lines at the power companies office.

Edited by Gump

I'm sure they would like to cut ALL trees that pose a risk to the power lines. But that is the reason they gave my neighbor when they told him they were going to cut his trees down. The oak tree was the subject of negotiation and it is going to be pruney mercilessly rather than cut down.

Looking at the AEP brochure, I'd say the tree that is the same height as the wires, is 10 feet too close. So it's a candidate for having up to 10 feet of stuff trimmed off away from the power lines. Unless it's ruled a hazard.

Your neighbor's 50 foot oak is in the same boat. Ten feet too close. It should also be ok with trimming to clear power lines by ten feet. Unless it's ruled a hazard.

The trees that are much closer, much taller, and a couple of feet away from power lines are in trouble. Trimming might not do it for those.

Edited by ReconRat

I can tell you working for a utility. It really makes no rhyme or reason. Any tree that posses a threat at any time or load can be cut.

If the tree has the reach to come down and take down any attachement on the pole it can be cut.

I am reading that you are stating trunk. The trunk really has nothing to do with it. I submit jobs for this all the time.

If Asplundh, Neslon's or another tree service is the one doing the trimming a "ticket man" will come to your door first. Tell them you want it trimmed to "minimum seperation". Dont let them guys come out and butcher your trees. If its a distibution line they should know how to trim it with out killing the tree. If it's a transmission line you will have some guys that are used to trimming trees out in the middle of knowhere and will hack the hell out of it. I used to work at Asplundh doing transmission lines.

You may be able to tell the same thing to the utility company if they are trimming it. Depending on the voltage of the powerlines will determine minimun separation.

If Asplundh, Neslon's or another tree service is the one doing the trimming a "ticket man" will come to your door first. Tell them you want it trimmed to "minimum seperation". Dont let them guys come out and butcher your trees. If its a distibution line they should know how to trim it with out killing the tree. If it's a transmission line you will have some guys that are used to trimming trees out in the middle of knowhere and will hack the hell out of it. I used to work at Asplundh doing transmission lines.

You may be able to tell the same thing to the utility company if they are trimming it. Depending on the voltage of the powerlines will determine minimun separation.

This maybe true, however, in the past storms the larger power companies are coming into hard times about these issues from the upper powers that be... Power outages are equalling payouts to customers if it goes longer than 2-3 days now. So, the tree trimming ticket is getting some attention.

...and this is just what I have been seeing and picking up from fellow utility workers. "If the tree is in Right of way and threatens the power distribution lines, chances are it is coming down". "We can humanily trim it to a point, but if the crew makes the decision to take it down, we will back them on their decisions".

Well the trunks of my trees are all 20' from the power lines, and they are pine/conifer trees so they get smaller towats the top. The tallest of my trees are level with the power line and the branches are only inches long at that height - so that is how I know there is 20' separation from the wires to the closest branches.

My neighbor's doomed trees have branches that are within a couple feet of the lines. One tree has a thick branch going right between the lower insight cable and upper power lines.

I guess if I haven't heard anythign about it I'm safe - both my neighbors have been notified of the cutting.

Can the power company enter my property to cut trees without notifying me? How wide is the right-of-way?

Scruit i believe they have to make a "good faith" attempt to contact you. Either by mail, inperson or a door hanger. Something of that nature. I havent trimmed trees in 10years or so but by the way it sounds is that your trees will be fine. Who is your electric service with?