Interesting Folding@Home tidbit

alienpi

I have my normal computer running Windows Vista 64 and it's running Folding@home in the background. It only uses 1 core's worth on my quad-core. I have an old computer (Pentium 4) that I sanitized and installed Ubuntu on, and started it folding on my team. This thing is turning out work units left and right, and is making my progress on the Phenom quad-core seem mediocre.

I was thinking about making a Linux virtual machine on the quad-core and having it fold just to see how it compares.

Just thought I'd put this information out there for any competitive folders. It might be beneficial to run the folding in Linux to get more out of your spare cycles.

I have my normal computer running Windows Vista 64 and it's running Folding@home in the background. It only uses 1 core's worth on my quad-core. I have an old computer (Pentium 4) that I sanitized and installed Ubuntu on, and started it folding on my team. This thing is turning out work units left and right, and is making my progress on the Phenom quad-core seem mediocre.

I was thinking about making a Linux virtual machine on the quad-core and having it fold just to see how it compares.

Just thought I'd put this information out there for any competitive folders. It might be beneficial to run the folding in Linux to get more out of your spare cycles.

I turn some pretty decent points with the GPU client on my 9800GT video card. I also run the cpu client on that one, and several other pc's.

I need to start folding again. I have 6.6 million points and over 13k WU's before my folding farm started crashing hardware. I haven't done it in probably a year and a half.

Alienpi, I ran folding on Linux and it is faster just due to the lower overhead of the Linux OS. From what I remember, running in a VM will slow things down even more than just running in windows because you will loose clock cycles to the pair of OS's you are now running. Unless things have changed though, the most math you can crunch is with GPU folding.

Didn't realize so many here run Folding@Home. I created an Ohio Riders team if you're interested. http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=72851

I've been running it for at least 3 years, probably longer! At one time, I have 7 or 8 cores running! Right now, I have 3 or 4. I'll get a couple more running though. I just neglected to do so after OS re-installs, or other maintenance.

I am not sure I am even following? the article reverted back to DNA strans? What is this exactly? How could you run it on PS3 and Xbox? Something you download?
i dont get it....whats the point? and what was someone talking about with points and stuff?

It's a program that runs in the background of your computer. It only uses the resources that you're not utilizing. Basically it utilizes what would end up as wasted electricity.

What is it doing? It's acting as a very small portion of a huge network of computers. This is known as "cloud" computing and allows the group running the program to do huge calculations and processing that would normally necessitate supercomputers.

what are the points for?

Once your computer completes a work unit, (part of the equation?) you are awarded points for doing so. Just a way to show how much you've contributed to the project.

PS3's come with the application install, from what I remember hearing, but you have to enable it, or something. It is not on the Xbox. It just worked out that the processor in the PS3 works out well for this type of work.

What's the purpose of this again? :confused:

Hopefully help doctors find a better cure. Read and help :Dhttp://folding.stanford.edu/

Got off my butt today and got my main rig folding again. Pair of Nvidia gtx260 vid cards folding. Don't know what my daily numbers will be yet but they should be nice.:cool:

Hopefully help doctors find a better cure. Read and help :Dhttp://folding.stanford.edu/

Got off my butt today and got my main rig folding again. Pair of Nvidia gtx260 vid cards folding. Don't know what my daily numbers will be yet but they should be nice.:cool:

There goes my chances of any decent ranking. :nono:

There goes my chances of any decent ranking. :nono:

I've turned just under 4k points since turning them on around midnight last night. Should work out to around 9-10,000 daily if things stay the same. :D

I could throw folding on my two storage servers also and start rocking a pair of nvidia 8800gt's for another couple thousand a day.:cool: The only problem is they are single slot coolers and the fans are dreadful running near 100%. My gtx260's currently only need about 60% fan speed so the noise isn't as bad.