Interesting Folding@Home tidbit

alienpi

I've turned just under 4k points since turning them on around midnight last night. Should work out to around 9-10,000 daily if things stay the same. :D

I could throw folding on my two storage servers also and start rocking a pair of nvidia 8800gt's for another couple thousand a day.:cool: The only problem is they are single slot coolers and the fans are dreadful running near 100%. My gtx260's currently only need about 60% fan speed so the noise isn't as bad.

I need to work out the SLI stuff, because I have 2 9800gt's that I could be using, instead of just one.

You need the high performance client from here;

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

Then follow the directions from this page;

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc4

for the multi-gpu system. I have to turn off SLI to get the cards to run properly. The new nvidia drivers seem to be a lot better at switching between SLI and not without crashing the pc. Makes it easier when I turn off folding to go back to gaming and get the cards back in sli mode.

Oh and I added my F@H stats to my sig.:D

Thanks to everyone for your input. I switched the quadcore's folding to the graphics card. :D After watching the folding progress from the graphics card, I disabled folding from the old experimental machine. As soon as I raise my personal team score to something beyond pathetic, I'll switch to the Ohio-Riders team.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I switched the quadcore's folding to the graphics card. :D After watching the folding progress from the graphics card, I disabled folding from the old experimental machine. As soon as I raise my personal team score to something beyond pathetic, I'll switch to the Ohio-Riders team.

Why not use both? I have 1 out of 2 cores on my desktop folding, and the video card, soon to be 2 cards, once I get it working right!

The folding contribution from the graphics card is so large that the other contributions seem negligible, but I might look into it anyway.

Agreed, but any contributions help! I'm doing it to see how much I can contribute, not to see how many points I can get! The points just put some fun into it!

• 11 months later...
Dunno, I haven't tried that one. I'm big on the science/astronomy. Running SETI, Einstein and Galileo. Finding aliens, x-ray sources, and gravitational anomalies. That's my thing...

I want to help save the world, you want to help find E.T. :dunno: Seems there's room for both of us in distributed computing. :D