Four Americans Held On Yacht By Somali Pirates Have Been Killed

mhallam85

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/report-four-americans-held-on-yacht-by-somali-pirates-have-been-killed/

Im not sure about the politics in this, but it amazes me that something really hasn't been done to stop this crap. Sure I know there is vast amount of ocean to patrol but im sure there has to be a better approach.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/report-four-americans-held-on-yacht-by-somali-pirates-have-been-killed/

Im not sure about the politics in this, but it amazes me that something really hasn't been done to stop this crap. Sure I know there is vast amount of ocean to patrol but im sure there has to be a better approach.

The politics of this are simple: No one wants to touch it. Any government with the ability to remembers very clearly what happened to us when we tried to "fix" Somalia, and the shitstorm that ensued.

because the only other way to get from the indian ocean to the mediterranean (or vice versa) is to sail 10,000 miles around africa.

Bingo. The companies that can't afford to lose their cargo are doing just that, the ones that can afford to pay the paltry (to them, everything is relative) ransoms are still using the Suez. There are a lot more of the latter than the former.

They need to allow us to fund "baiting" trips to lure them out and deal with them. 1 boat, 20 or 30 guys with long range guns and good binoculars. That would be a nice vacation.

Yep, because shooting indiscriminately solves everyone's problems, until your ship gets hit with a RPG. I hope the US sends you the bill for your rescue, just as much as I had hoped the US would send the other people a bill for theirs, if it had happened.

Also, I hope you bring enough provisions for a LONG journey, or at the very least learn to drink your own piss. You won't be pulling into port with all those weapons onboard. Expect a nice lengthy hassle at the US border as well, even with prior proof of ownership.

Revive the practice of "Letter of Marque and Reprisal"

:D

cite: Letter of marque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I kinda agree with this. It not only gives the attacking ship a governmental entity to be responsible to (and if they screw around and hold a "baiting" trip, a entity that takes responsibility) but they are obligated to bring the pirates themselves to trial. Now before everyone goes off on a tangent, I'm of the opinion that they should be tried in a maritime court under maritime law, which would mean that they would probably be executed. If enough of these happen, the perceived risk among the Somalians goes down, and these things stop.

They need to allow us to fund "baiting" trips to lure them out and deal with them. 1 boat, 20 or 30 guys with long range guns and good binoculars. That would be a nice vacation.

When you do this trip I want in. I'd say people need to hire some security guards on a separate boat along side the vessel. Sad to here this had to happen.

The politics of this are simple: *No one wants to touch it. *Any *government with the ability to remembers very clearly what happened to *us when we tried to "fix" Somalia, and the shitstorm that ensued.

Whatever dude. Your boy BJ Clinton fucked that one up. As he fucked up a few other situations. And don't tell me I'm wrong. I was in during this "shitstorm" as were many of my people while you were busy trying to figure out what your pecker was for. And you want to know the real problem with Africa is?Here it is.*

Nobody gives a fuck about Africa.

• Upvote 1

Whatever dude. Your boy BJ Clinton fucked that one up. As he fucked up a few other situations. And don't tell me I'm wrong. I was in during this "shitstorm" as were many of my people while you were busy trying to figure out what your pecker was for. And you want to know the real problem with Africa is?Here it is.*

I agree that no one gives a fuck about Africa, and the reason for that (with notable exceptions) is that they don't give a fuck about themselves. None of these things are our problems, until we intervene and by extension make them our problems.

The reason why the shitstorm ensued is the same reason why operational failures like this fail in the first place: Civilian politics interfered with military policy. If we wanted Said out he was right there, he wasn't hiding in a cave in some ridiculous terrain on a porous border with a "allied" country that we were forbidden to enter, he was right there in Mogadishu. I'm willing to bet if you were to fast forward our operations in Somalia until after 9/11 when the doctrine changed, we would be talking about that country like it was Iraq with a major invasion force, toppled government, insurgent fighting (Al-Shabab), floundering government with the resentment of it's people as a US puppet, the whole ball of wax.

You fought over in somolia? My cousin was over there too he is in the 160th

Pirate leader Farah, speaking from Bayla, a pirate haven in the northern semi-autonomous region of Puntland, vowed to avenge the deaths and capture of his comrades.

"I lost the money I invested and my comrades. No forgiveness for the Americans. Revenge. Our business will go on," he said, adding he had spent $110,000 so far in the hijacking, including on weapons and food and salaries.

Ok, here's the rumble as I've heard it. Two pirates went on board the US Navy vessel to negotiate. They were offered either the sailboat to keep or a misc USN boat to have. They wanted to think about it over night first. Here's where things went bad. The FBI negotiator decided to lock them up over night. Meanwhile an argument started on the sailboat between pirates. A gunfight breaks out, which included launching an RPG at the US Navy ship. Somehow the hostages all get shot. US Navy decides to board the sailboat. Pirates surrender. They find two pirates and the four hostages dead.

...Nobody gives a fuck about Africa.

Well, not completely. There's a serious amount of mineral wealth in Africa, that can be found either in large quantities or found no where else. This has the attention of China. This also brings just enough interest in Africa from everyone else, to keep China from taking it all for themselves.