Outage - 2/28

Casper

Hmmm no redundancy?

Is that a serious question? If so, uhm, this is a free website with no Google ads or anything like that, of which I lose money on. This isn't an enterprise level operation here. LOL. We do have a RAID setup, so no data was lost. Just had to swap the disk and let the raid rebuild.

Now if 500 people want to donate like $10/yr, we could afford a badass setup. I'd love to have 4U's in a datacenter. I'd do a master/slave httpd server and master/slave MySQL server setup with automatic ipfailover. I'd host the slaves at a remote datacenter, so even if one datacenter has network issues, everything would just failover to the slaves at the 2nd DC. That'd be around $3600 for just the rackspace, power, bandwidth, etc.

Unfortunately, it's more like 10-20 people per year donating. Add that to our sponsorship dollars, and we come close to breaking even with bills around a grand every year. I could add Google adwords and what not to the site, but I personally don't visit sites who do that.

Is that a serious question? If so, uhm, this is a free website with no Google ads or anything like that, of which I lose money on. This isn't an enterprise level operation here. LOL. We do have a RAID setup, so no data was lost. Just had to swap the disk and let the raid rebuild.

Now if 500 people want to donate like $10/yr, we could afford a badass setup. I'd love to have 4U's in a datacenter. I'd do a master/slave httpd server and master/slave MySQL server setup with automatic ipfailover. I'd host the slaves at a remote datacenter, so even if one datacenter has network issues, everything would just failover to the slaves at the 2nd DC. That'd be around $3600 for just the rackspace, power, bandwidth, etc.

Unfortunately, it's more like 10-20 people per year donating. Add that to our sponsorship dollars, and we come close to breaking even with bills around a grand every year. I could add Google adwords and what not to the site, but I personally don't visit sites who do that.

It is all good, it is back, and all the data is still here. You rock for keeping it going, I know what a thankless job admin is. So this is my big ass thank you for all the hard work you put in to keeping out little clubhouse on the net up and going.

wow, i thought we had more "supporters" than that. i just figured the rest of the donators didn't notice the special forum. and here I thought our little group were just the cool kids in the short bus.

anyways, thanks for getting it back up and running!

wow, i thought we had more "supporters" than that. i just figured the rest of the donators didn't notice the special forum. and here I thought our little group were just the cool kids in the short bus.

anyways, thanks for getting it back up and running!

17 "Supporters" right now.

We should get Daft Punk Drives.

They are harder, better, faster and stronger too!

:lol:

Is that a serious question? If so, uhm, this is a free website with no Google ads or anything like that, of which I lose money on.... I could add Google adwords and what not to the site, but I personally don't visit sites who do that.

Seriously I don't know why you don't. I think you could make some nice change with Google ads. I don't think it would be bad if there were a few ads, not like the site was plastered with them or something. I myself got a $100 check from google for my ads on one of my forums and my one youtube video that has ads.

:lol:

Seriously I don't know why you don't. I think you could make some nice change with Google ads. I don't think it would be bad if there were a few ads' date=' not like the site was plastered with them or something. I myself got a $100 check from google for my ads on one of my forums and my one youtube video that has ads.[/quote']

Because I'm not all about the money. That was never the intention of this site. I don't mind having ads, but I'm not a fan of Google Ads. I personally think that's one of the big pluses to this site. The only ads on here are local(ish) companies who take care of OR members. Most of them are members on here as well, and interact with everyone on here. You're not going to get that from a Google Ad. If I only cared about the money, this site would be rolling in some bank with Google Adwords, affiliate links, etc. But I personally stop visiting sites when they do that.

Because I'm not all about the money. That was never the intention of this site.

And I know that. That's cool. I however, like money :D.

And you're right about "local" ads. Google ads would be "targeted" but not local.

I'd throw another donation your way sometime but, umm, yeah, well, you probably heard the "paypal" story. :o

Because I'm not all about the money. That was never the intention of this site. I don't mind having ads, but I'm not a fan of Google Ads. I personally think that's one of the big pluses to this site. The only ads on here are local(ish) companies who take care of OR members. Most of them are members on here as well, and interact with everyone on here. You're not going to get that from a Google Ad. If I only cared about the money, this site would be rolling in some bank with Google Adwords, affiliate links, etc. But I personally stop visiting sites when they do that.

A few sites that I visit occasionally use ads, with an option to remove them by becoming a supporter. This is the only site that I have paid up to support though.

Personally, I think the $10 to become a supporter is very worth it to me for the amount of posting and reading I do on here. I think that everyone that posts regularly on here should consider it. I'd so it even without the cool "supporter" logo below my name! :D

A few sites that I visit occasionally use ads, with an option to remove them by becoming a supporter. This is the only site that I have paid up to support though.

Personally, I think the $10 to become a supporter is very worth it to me for the amount of posting and reading I do on here. I think that everyone that posts regularly on here should consider it. I'd so it even without the cool "supporter" logo below my name! :D

Exactly. On those sites you have to pay to remove the ads. Here, you don't. You just pay if you feel like it. And you do. That means something. Not sure what though. LOL