Apple conference live

Casper

I am definitely in the market for a tablet after im done with grad school.

Ill probably keep the iphone 4 and just get a wifi tablet. Figured after grad school the only use in laptop for me is to check email, websites, etc. No more productivity-type projects that will need an upgraded MBP.

Im hoping the Xoom comes down a bit in price. Almost snagged one for 25% off until the ended that promo. I was hoping for atleast a SD card slot on the ipad 2. This may be a deal breaker for me.

I haven't decided yet. I think if I got one, I'd ditch the smart phone thing altogether. Go back to a basic phone, then have this for the mobile internet and jazz. I dunno. iPhone5 will be out around June. I may hold off to see what it is.

Yep I'd wait for the 5 and go from there...

yeah sorry the link wasnt working at the time. what i was trying to say was its still not a solid input. :( those have been manufactured by a few different people now and they work for the iphone itouch and the ipad. i want a usb 2, firewire, thunderbolt or just some kind of input... an ipad would be the unbeatable with a solid input.

but they are still pretty awesome dont get me wrong. i just dont have a use for one.

What inputs are you looking for?
I am definitely in the market for a tablet after im done with grad school.

Ill probably keep the iphone 4 and just get a wifi tablet. Figured after grad school the only use in laptop for me is to check email, websites, etc. No more productivity-type projects that will need an upgraded MBP.

Im hoping the Xoom comes down a bit in price. Almost snagged one for 25% off until the ended that promo. I was hoping for atleast a SD card slot on the ipad 2. This may be a deal breaker for me.

SD card reader - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Takes away from the portability aspect for me...its a small accessory but still an accessory id have to carry.

Well, I'm assuming the SD card would be from a camera, right? You're carrying it too, right? In a case?

Well, I'm assuming the SD card would be from a camera, right? You're carrying it too, right? In a case?

I use it on the go alot to transfer files to/from other peoples computers. I normally just keep my SD card in the slot of my MBP....which is what I would do with the ipad2 if it had one.

doesn't look like much of an update, will stick with my 2010mbp and gen1 ipad. maybe 2012 will offer something worthwhile

Or September maybe.

It was everything I wanted, except for the higher resolution screen. That really just seems odd.

Lame. No USB port, no integrated SD slot, same screen, same crappy non-tablet optimized UI, no 4G, looks like the stupid speaker is on the bottom, no mention that they increased the RAM from the wimpy 256MB the 1st gen has, the front camera is listed as VGA :lol:...

Lame. No USB port, no integrated SD slot, same screen, same crappy non-tablet optimized UI, no 4G, looks like the stupid speaker is on the bottom, no mention that they increased the RAM from the wimpy 256MB the 1st gen has, the front camera is listed as VGA :lol:...

A) Apple's said from the get go there will not be a USB port. They're moving away from USB altogether to Thunderbolt.

B) Nope, no SD slot. Not sure why people thought there would be. Never been on any Apple product.

C) Same screen kinda irks me, but it's still just as good as the Zoom's and cheaper.

D) Non-tablet optimized UI? Eh? It ain't Android :lol:

E) I agree no 4G is a disappointment, but was expected. They did the same thing with Edge and 3G.

F) Not sure about the speaker.

G) No mention of RAM anywhere.

H) Most forward facing webcams on mobile devices are similar resolution.

I guess my question is, what's better? The Zoom? It's easy to say it isn't everything you wanted, but what else is on the market that competes?

A) Apple's said from the get go there will not be a USB port. They're moving away from USB altogether to Thunderbolt.

B) Nope, no SD slot. Not sure why people thought there would be. Never been on any Apple product.

C) Same screen kinda irks me, but it's still just as good as the Zoom's and cheaper.

D) Non-tablet optimized UI? Eh? It ain't Android :lol:

E) I agree no 4G is a disappointment, but was expected. They did the same thing with Edge and 3G.

F) Not sure about the speaker.

G) No mention of RAM anywhere.

H) Most forward facing webcams on mobile devices are similar resolution.

I guess my question is, what's better? The Zoom? It's easy to say it isn't everything you wanted, but what else is on the market that competes?

A) You aren't going to see Thunderbolt on the iPad* either.

B) Except the MBP, setting aside of course that there is a ton of demand for one and there's not real reason for them not to add one.

C) In comparisons the the Ipad Screen is brighter but the text and picture is is crisper on the Xoom. How is it cheaper?

D)No it's a tablet and should have an OS that fits the form factor. Even HP and RIM realizes that..

E) This one actually caught me off guard. Seemed like a no brainer/easy addition. The other 3 (Xoom, Playbook and Touchpad) will support 4G.

F) I noticed on the video and photos I've seen it on. Seemed odd.

G) You would think they would throw that out there if they had increased it. Right now it's 256MB, the other 3 are all 1GB.

H)Uh no. VGA is 640x480 or .31 megapixels. Xoom is 2MP, the Touchpad is 1.3MP and Playbook is 3MP. I'll also add that the Xoom has a dual LED flash that also doubles as a video light.

The Xoom hands the iPad its ass hands down and so will many of the other tablets (of various OS's) as their released. The fact that I'll never need to deal with stupid adapters or iTunes again is pure win. I just wish there were more apps for Android. :lol::( That will change over time though.

• 2 weeks later...