Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Casper

8.9 holy fuck!!!

thats crazy shit!!!!!!!

No shit. Good thing is happened off- shore. The tsunami has caused a lot of damage but had that quake happened on land it would have been much worse IMO. there is a lot of water moving around right now. It will be interesting to see what happens in Hawaii in about 50 minutes.

I guess i dont understand the actual size of things... They are talking 6 foot swails to hit Hawaii? I think of it as a solid wall of water moving hundreds of miles wide 6 foot high... But Hawaii has waves 14 foot high during storms?

Tell me what I am missing?

Sroy Lanka only had a what 5 foot swail hit?

I guess i dont understand the actual size of things... They are talking 6 foot swails to hit Hawaii? I think of it as a solid wall of water moving hundreds of miles wide 6 foot high... But Hawaii has waves 14 foot high during storms?

Tell me what I am missing?

Sroy Lanka only had a what 5 foot swail hit?

Normal waves move in and then back out again even in storms. Tsunamis just keep coming and carry their momentum up onto land. Tsunamis can travel at over 500 miles an hour across open water and a 6 foot tsunami wave can build on its self as it hits land then pushes over.

That was earlier today. It's still failing. Pressures are still rising.

Jesus that's not good. I'm not quite sure how those reactors were designed, but if they have the control rods all the way in and they are loosing coolant with pressure still building....um, not good. Temperatures in there could stay high for at least a day even with coolant.

I'm surprised by a nuclear plant design that allows the boiling water being passed to the turbines to become even slightly radioactive. Aren't those typically in a separate closed loop system? Besides that, the pic looks like its right by the water, seems like they should be able to use pumps to get some cool water in there.