computer diag question

natedogg624

my mom just called me telling me that her computer won't turn on. here is what i got out of her:

- all main hardware (speakers, monitor, tower) plugged into surge protector

- speakers, monitor turns on (albeit into standby mode)

- unplugged tower from surge protector for a full day, still no go

- green led light in back of tower is on, but main power button in front does not work

i think it could be the psu, or even a faulty power switch button. i'm ordering a new psu, but didn't know if you guys had any other insight for me to ask her to look for or try

hp pavilion a6150y

my mom just called me telling me that her computer won't turn on. here is what i got out of her:

- all main hardware (speakers, monitor, tower) plugged into surge protector

- speakers, monitor turns on (albeit into standby mode)

- unplugged tower from surge protector for a full day, still no go

- green led light in back of tower is on, but main power button in front does not work

i think it could be the psu, or even a faulty power switch button. i'm ordering a new psu, but didn't know if you guys had any other insight for me to ask her to look for or try

hp pavilion a6150y

Where's the green LED on the back of the tower? Is it on the PSU or on the motherboard somewhere?

For a manufactured PC, a PSU going bad is a distinct possibility.

yes on the back right next to where the main ac plug goes into and the I/O power switch. from what i remember when i installed the computer a few years ago the green light was for the psu.

also something to add: last time i was home i distinctly remember the fan being pretty loud for an idle computer. i could hear it as i walked into the room where the computer is at.

are psu's pretty generic, all i have to do is make sure it meets the computer min power req't (500w in this case). so i could get a 650w and swap them out?

Edited by natedogg624

Assuming the monitor will power up:

Take power cord from monitor, unplug from the monitor, plug it into the PC, then plug that straight into the wall.

This will rule out (or in) the power cord and the port on the surge protector. (I know, I know, it can't possibly be the power cord... But it could. Easy fix if it is).

ASSuming it still doesn't work - 99% it's the power supply.

Edited by jblosser

If mom's near you, I would physically take the psu out of the computer and take it to Microcenter.

HP, Dell, et al are known for using non-standard mb connectors, so just match things up and you <should> be good to go.

update: replaced the psu and the tower started up just fine. i also bought more ram (2g total (2x1) to now 4g (2x2). I bought the wrong desktop ram so i wasn't able to install it yet and need to return it.

however, the current OS is vista and i am attempting to update it to w7 home ed as it's pretty clear that it's better. However I am getting an error during install about 1/4 the way through the progress bar.. 0x80070001

this was doing the replace option. i tried formatting (after backing up files) as maybe a clean hard drive would work and it still does the same thing. (it didn't take very long to "format" this drive... maybe it's not a full wipe)

the install dvd is an iso file that i burned onto a dvd. The dvd has worked on other computers in the past but i will try burning it onto another dvd and try with the new disk next. if a new disk doesn't work, i think i'll have to slave the drive to another computer and make sure it actually is appropriately formatted.

i can't go back to vista as the format wiped the boot file from the drive. just wondering if anyone else had any ideas.

Edited by natedogg624

If it's a 64 bit install, it might need the rest of the RAM first.

Depends on which slots the RAM is in.

Just a guess...

how would i figure if it needs 32 vs 64? also i'm 99% sure i put the ram back in the right slots, but is there a sure way to tell other than just trying one combo then the other?