Motorcycle Ohio Drving Course????

Jcarlson

Where can I find a copy of what is taught at the Morotcycle Ohio training class? My wife wanted to learn to ride so I bought her I bike. She's got her permit and has been buzzing around the neighborhood. She's doing ok for a newbie.

She's scheduled to take the class at Columbus State Comm. Coll. at the end of May so we have some time to practice. I'd like to find what is taught in the class so she can practice it before she goes. I took the course a few years ago but I don't remember everything we did. Does anybody have the instructor's book or know where I can find it?

I haven't found anything on the BMV website or Motorcycleohio.com

Thanks

Jim

You could go to the course, but theres lines all over the place and it will just confuse you. I dont think you will find what you are looking for without the instructor manual. She should get time on the bike before the test. I took the msf course through a harley dealership and the riding portion of the test was so much shorter than the one the bmv gives, but i also paid $295

This has just about everything they cover in the Basic Rider Course classroom sessions, but does not seem to have the exercises from the riding-portion.

http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMaterials/BRC_Handbook_Vs71_noprint.pdf

EDIT: Look here for a number of other MSF documents:-

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=Library

Edited by bambam
I found more MSF documents that might be useful

I've taken this class. Shit was sooo easy. First day is all class work, then they give you a take home open book test. The next two days are when they put you on the bikes, all of which are 250's. It's hard to remember EVERYthing they showed us, its all pretty basic.

The "test" involves doing a figure 8 inside of a space about the size of a normal parking space. Then they have you do a quick bank to the right or left. After that it was the stop brake distance, and finish taking two slow corners.

That is pretty much it, and like I said you're on 250's, and they make it cake. During the riding test you can mess up once on each part, they'll have you redo it if you do. Oh and don't drop yo bike its an auto fail. The hardest thing for me was the figure 8. Trick to that is turning up the idle on the bike and just let it walk you through in idle =p

My wife took the course a couple years back. Bet she still remembers everything to the driving portion. When she gets home I'll ask her to post it up if it'll help any.

The course is well worth the $25 cost. Also, make sure to wear boots, gloves, pants and protective eyewear. I think regular glasses are acceptable. I'd also advise wearing enough to stay warm because even if it gets cold, the class goes on. That goes for rain too, just not thunderstorms or lightning.

Hi, this is Mrs. Ohio Mike. I took a class that was held Friday evening, all day Saturday and Sunday. Friday night was all of the book learning, pretty basic and not real hard. On Saturday, the first thing we did was learn the basic bike parts (brake, throttle, clutch, choke, etc). Then we started the bike, a few times. Next was walk across the parking lot on the bike, simply learning the feel for letting out the clutch enough to roll along. We progressed throughout the morning in little steps. At the first break I called home to say I had ridden across the parking lot! So as the day progresses, you learn how to take off and shift into 2nd and 3rd gear, rode around in circles in the parking lot. Then you go through some courses, ride the bike in a figure 8 within this square, practice downshift and quick stop within a specified area, riding over obstacles, proper change lane, proper group ride technique, sharp turns, wide turns. This course is great even if the person is never going to operate their own bike. They would be a better passenger and vehicle driver with this knowledge. On Sunday, we went back over the things from previous day and the instructors worked with you if you had any area that you couldn't quite get. After lunch, each person then had to perform the exercises for an evaluation that provided the pass/fail. When finished you have your m/c endorsement and just go to the license bureau and get a new picture license with the endorsement on it, along with a big happy smile! It was so wroth the money. I tell everyone to have their wives take the class. But then you also have to be prepared to buy her a bike.

She should get time on the bike before the test.

i dont necessarily think thats true. the BRC is made for people who have never been on a bike before.

plus, you dont want to start learning bad habits. they are hard to break.