Maintenance on My 00 CBR 600 F4

Mister2

Hello all, about to get my bike out for spring and since i have 20k miles on it, i plan on doing some maintenance like brakes, a new chain and sprockets, new tires and check the valve adjustment.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or helpful info, i am a tech for ford so i work on cars all day, but doing anything more than spark plugs and other light things on my bike i am a noob.

i have been pricing parts out at the local bike shop (Thiels Wheels) but was wondering if anyone had any good places to buy the parts i am looking for.

thanks for any help i really appreciate it!!

When you get a new chain, make sure you get rivet type master link, not clip type and just borrow someone's chain tool. Brakes and sprockets are a no brainer for anyone that is the least bit mechanically inclined so I'm sure that you'd have no problem.

Driven sprockets are cheap but won't last nearly as long as some of the more expensive ones out there like SuperSprox. Any of the average chains (EK, DID, RK) will do fine. Usually you can find deals as sprocket and chain packages, mostly 520 (referring to the pitch of the chain*, stock is 530) conversions and it's up to you if you want to change up the number of teeth on your sprockets for better acceleration or top end, but then you'd have to get a speedohealer too.

*The first number indicates the pitch in 1/8ths of an inch. In this case both are 5's, meaning the distance between rollers is 5/8in. The last two digits are the sprocket thickness in 1/80ths of an inch. A 530 sprocket is 30/80in or 3/8in thick, a 520 is 20/80in or 1/4in thick.

If you're going to wrench your own ride' date=' do yourself the favor and buy a factory Honda service manual. It's expensive, but far cheaper than any cost you'll incur by following a Haynes/Clymer manual.

Other than that... good luck!![/quote']

Interesting take. Do you find the clymer/Haynes manuals to be incorrect or harder to follow?