I'm an Instrument pilot

gen3flygirl

For about the past year I have been training to get my instrument rating on my pilots license. Basically what that means is that I can fly with out being able to see whats around me. The best way to describe this to non pilots is to have you speed down a Texas freeway, blind folded with someone on a walkee talkie telling you where the other cars are around you, the only way to navigate the high ways is by an instrument that picks up radio signals. Today was my check ride. I had to do ground with an FAA examiner for roughly 2 hours. I had to sit there one on one while they questioned me on my knowledge of the aircraft, weather, navigation aides, and any other thing they could think of. Once that was over with I got to go up in the airplane and prove to them that I could fly to the governments standards.Since it was super nice out they get to simulate the no visibility situation that I would in theory be using these skills for is to have me wear what look like plastic sunglasses so that I can't see anything out side of the cockpit of the plane. I found out a week ago that today was my check ride, ever since then I felt like I was going to have an ulcer, on top of that the past 48 hours I was nauseous. Between the examiner having to leave for a period, computer glitches, and a lunch break it probably took 8 hours to get this thing done. When they told me I passed I about cried. I have been so stressed out about this that I haven't been able to sleep and my back would pop every time I took a deep breath.

• Upvote 2

What? I'm disappointed. Nobody made the very obvious "I have an instrument you can fly" comment. :nono: You gaiz are slipping in your :leghump:-ing

Anyway, congrats! I have heard that this is a difficult thing to do, but I bet you did better than you expected you would!

What? I'm disappointed. Nobody made the very obvious "I have an instrument you can fly" comment. :nono: You gaiz are slipping in your :leghump:-ing

Anyway, congrats! I have heard that this is a difficult thing to do, but I bet you did better than you expected you would!

I thought this thread was about making sammiches blindfolded.

Congrats.. Glad to hear you didnt crash. :) Now go get wasted and laid. :)

Had a few beers to calm the nerves. work/ class are delaying the celebrations until friday. You offering on the last part:rolleyes: Hurry up and do what you need to so you can be my safety pilot

I thought this thread was about making sammiches blindfolded.

After today I feel like I could make sammiches blindfolded with my hands tied behind my back while asleep

Congrats! I'm sure you feel like 1,000lbs have been lifted off your shoulders. Sounds like the movie "Firebirds" with Nicolas Cage. They made him drive the jeep with his non dominate eye looking though a periscope, the other was covered. then fly the bird with the cockpit blacked out. Crazy.

Multi engine next?

I am doing the ground school for it now. I am hoping to get my commercial by the end of the summer then the Multi will hopefully be the end of fall quarter.

Congrats! I'm sure you feel like 1,000lbs have been lifted off your shoulders.

yes it does. I walked into the flight school with the huge stupid grin on my face

Congrats!!

Who was the examiner? 8hrs seems like an awful thorough IR checkride!

What/where are you flying?

Yeah it is, I had the chief flight instructor who is also a female. She seems to be a little harder on the other females just because she wants us to do that much better. She had to leave for a bit to go teach a class so that took up 1.5 then when I thought we were ready to go again she had me pull the logs to prove that all of the inspections were done, that took .5 She did that so she could eat lunch. There were a few times other instructors had to interrupt for weird issues. Our computer logs were messing up so we had to figure out why it said I wasn't meeting mins. Then the FAA/IACRA web site was acting up so we were having issues making sure my 8710 was kosher. She also likes to tell stories relating what she asks me to real life situations, doesn't count but it still takes up time.

I am in 172's right now. Got my private in 152's. Will be doing my commercial in a piper arrow and twin will be a cessna 310. I fly out of OSU for training. The approches I did were the VOR 28 into delaware (vectors) then imediatly did the GPS 27 into marysvill( full procedures) both of those were circle around to the correct runway. Then called up columbus approach to do the ILS 9r into ohio state.

Wow! I am impressed..Pilot..Your dick is bigger than mine.:)

I bet you watch Fyling Wild Alaska.

Yes. Yes it is.

I don't have cable :cry: once it comes out on netfilx I will probably finish the season in less than a week

I don't have cable :cry: once it comes out on netfilx I will probably finish the season in less than a week

Guns....motorcycles....airplanes.... who needs to watch other people livin the dream on cable? You have my respect.:bow::bow::bow::bow:

You ever have class with Nick Greeley? He graduated about year ago from over there and was getting his instructors license. Believe he is commercial now too. Not really sure about all of that, but he's got a bike too, and one of my closest friends.

I know he was over there flying for the past 3-4 years since he started and I m not sure all his licenses. Dark curly hair, glasses normally or contacts, no homo good looking dude.

yeah I know him. Haven't seen him in a while though. Does he still work at bar louie? The flight school is pretty small so we tend to know alot of the other students. Bikes and airplanes seem to be a common theme. I know at least 5 other people besides him that have their license and a bike.

Congrats ! The instrument rating you just got is the fifth hardest rating to get. Some high end jet type ratings followed by ATP, CFII, CFI, Commercial instrument, private instrument, private pilot.

You should be very proud, but a word of caution, take it slow & easy in your IMC flying. There is still much to learn ahead of you. Enjoy your up time.

Congrats ! The instrument rating you just got is the fifth hardest rating to get. Some high end jet type ratings followed by ATP, CFII, CFI, Commercial instrument, private instrument, private pilot.

You should be very proud, but a word of caution, take it slow & easy in your IMC flying. There is still much to learn ahead of you. Enjoy your up time.

Couldn't agree more. The instrument ticket is difficult to get and even more difficult to keep "competent" - not just current. Summer is difficult to keep it current around here, but winter offers a lot of 1000 foot ceilings to go play in!!!

One thought I had right after getting mine was, I can't believe people with only a PPL are allowed to fly up here. The instrument rating teaches you so much about you, the plane, the system, and really knowing your surroundings and future situation. The first time you shoot an approach alone down to minimums is awesome.

Nice job. Well done.