painting my bike?

jessecwalters

So, my bike is currently flat matte back, and is looking a little rough (by a little, i mean pretty rough :() and i want to paint my bike. i think im going to just rattlecan it. Im looking for suggestions on paint schemes/colors. I like the matte finish, but am not sure how to do that other then not doing clear coats, but a nice shiny paint job would be nice too. but thats part of the reason my bike looks rough, so id prefer to do clear coats. Im also looking for tips on painting/fixing it. I have a few cracks and places that need repaired.

Any tutorials that you guys are aware of you could point me too? i found one, but its practically a novel. :farmer:

Years ago, I had a neighbor do his car with a 2 inch roller, using house paint. It actually looked very nice....

I've bug bombed many a bike. But not lately. I fail, because I love painting bikes.

Basic advice, keep it clean.

Use a wax remover or cleaner, hopefully one that removes silicones.

Tack rag surfaces before painting.

Elevate parts up off the floor to avoid dust and dirt (36 inches off the floor is good, I like to hang them high.)

Let parts dry really really good before sanding or continuing painting.

Enamels like 320grit and acrylic lacquers like 400 grit. Urethanes, I got no clue.

Wet sanding, of course. Almost all of it. Put a little dish soap in the water.

I've even used 600grit to finish up.

Rubbing compound after that. Sometimes polishing compound too.

It can be done by hand rather than machine, it just takes a LOT longer.

If power buffing, be very gentle on the corners and edges, or you burn right through the paint.

Basic painting is two sticky light coats, and then one heavy coat that ALMOST runs, but doesn't.

That coat of paint is smooth, the first two are rough looking.

Let that dry and sand or continue with more paint.

A paint prep solvent will clean up surfaces before painting. (The wax remover maybe.) Then rub down with clean rags and tack rag.

Don't paint on days with high humidity.

Don't paint on days that are too hot or too cold.

Black is actually a difficult paint, and likes to fog up or crack. sometimes months or years later. (See above heat and humidity.)

Candy colors and trick paints are touchy to get right. Often coming out too dark from too much paint.

Look for a top coat or clear coat that is fuel proof or fuel resistant.

When all else fails, read and follow the paint can instructions.

I'll be trying to match the candy red on mine, making a couple of extra parts match. I hope.

edit: actually, a true urethane enamel will shrink over time to be smooth. It doesn't need sanding if done right. But I've never tried urethane enamel. Almost everything I've done was old school acrylic lacquer.

Edited by ReconRat

Hey man, if you look through my thread over here, http://www.kawiforums.com/zzr600-zx-6r-old-school/169118-kents-project-kawzzr.html You'll find my results of painting my tail section. I used rattle can paint from Colorite.com. Only reason I got it was so it matched the rest. Otherwise, I would have used Rustoleum. Actually, I did for the frame and it came out nice. I watched this guys videos, http://www.youtube.com/user/DIOSpeedDemon#p/u/347/U2j9EJXbR40

I found him to be annoying but his information and knowledge is pretty good. He's got a lot of videos, you'll have to dig around to find the ones about painting with rattle can.

Edited by Kent2406

you can do it with any spray paint.. but honestly unless its a track bike thats gonna get beat up, its not worth it.

i did my track bike last year, and it looked professionally done.

sand, prime, sand, wipe down, wipe down, wipe down

3 coats of base.. 4 coats of clear

wet sand and buff

looks perfect

but spill gas or any harsh chemicals on it and you just wasted all your efforts

and trust me.. you will get gas on the paint when filling up.

also spray paint just doesnt hold up well.. and will dull out eventually

you can get good urethane spray paint, its pricey, and you need to do it in a well ventillated area

id say pony up the money and send it over to paul

honestly wont cost as much as you think, it will be less work for you, and hold up a long time.

if you do it with rattle can, good luck.. and youll probably end up doing it over again in a year

^^ any idea how much? my bike was spray painted by the previous owner, and it was just spray painted, no sanding down (s far as i know) and no clear coats. That was about 2 years ago. And it looks like crap now. I am all for less work for me, but dont want to spend tons of $ on it.

I got my RC8R and GSXR1000 plastics from him and he did (as usual) an amazing job. These are race only bikes and typically, you don't get too great a paint job. Paul makes me look BALLER!

He's really good and can do almost anything!

Agreeing with getting a professional paint job. If you do it yourself, the first try is never quite the way you want it, if it even survives the attempt. It uses up all your time, and is best done over the Winter when not riding.

If you do want to try it, I will even recommend two sets of parts, so you can still ride while working and learning on the others. Or even junk yard parts to practice on.