Savage 308 Edge

Big Chief201

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get into distance shooting I would suggest picking up one of their 10 series if your going savage. You want something with a heavy barrel contour and not the hunter/sendaro contour. The reason is that after a few shots on the thinner barrels, the barrel will start to heat up and string the shots..

Im warning you ahead of time that long range shooting is one of the more addictive and expensive hobbies you can get into.. Just like track days and racing except the bike becomes the rifle. Always tweaking, upgrading, and improving ammo. :)

Its an addiction.

I have a savage 12 LRPV in .223 remington and it shoots damn well and I know plenty of guys at the range I go to who also like their savages, but I agree with flounder in that if you're going to try and get into "long range" shooting with a .308 winchester you'd be better off saving up and getting something better designed for those purposes. In the savage line this would mean one of their model 10's or the 12 target series, but for similar prices you could also be looking at the remington 700's which are customizable by nearly any good gunsmith out there and have been winning competitions for years. I am by no means a competition shooter so take my advice as you wish, but I think you could probably in short time be outshooting your equipment with that edge, and nothing is more frustrating than doing everything right on your end and missing a shot due to your equipment. And so begins the money pit of target shooting!

Im warning you ahead of time that long range shooting is one of the more addictive and expensive hobbies you can get into.. Just like track days and racing except the bike becomes the rifle. Always tweaking, upgrading, and improving ammo. :)

Its an addiction.

Sad truffff

Its actually cheaper to get started with the Stevens version of the gun. I bought a Savage .30-06 package gun for myself, and the same gun in a Stevens is about 50 bucks less. I sold a buddy one for like $300 new, and it is the exact same gun. The only thing different is the name stamped on the barrel.

Its actually cheaper to get started with the Stevens version of the gun. I bought a Savage .30-06 package gun for myself, and the same gun in a Stevens is about 50 bucks less. I sold a buddy one for like $300 new, and it is the exact same gun. The only thing different is the name stamped on the barrel.

Again I will say, Get a heavy barrel model or you are going to have issues after multiple shots in a row. The Stevens is not a heavy barrel model either.

is .30-06, 308, or 300 better for long range / large game hunting?

ide like to buy a centerfire rifle to take hunting out of state for bear/elk/mountain lion/whatever

.30-06 has a lot of drop at 1000 yards, more so than some other calibers. I just picked it because there is surplus ammo out there and a friend of mine gave me 5 coffee cans full of nice once fired brass for it. If your just looking to shoot long range, probably a .243 or 6mm would be better.

.30-06 does alot of things well, rather than just one thing really good. For hunting, even at long range your unlikely to find anything in the United States or Canada that you cant kill with it.

Again I will say, Get a heavy barrel model or you are going to have issues after multiple shots in a row. The Stevens is not a heavy barrel model either.

Well the other nice thing about these is the barrel comes off real easy and can be refitted with aftermarket stuff. This gun is just a decent starting point.

.30-06 has a lot of drop at 1000 yards, more so than some other calibers. I just picked it because there is surplus ammo out there and a friend of mine gave me 5 coffee cans full of nice once fired brass for it. If your just looking to shoot long range, probably a .243 or 6mm would be better.

.30-06 does alot of things well, rather than just one thing really good. For hunting, even at long range your unlikely to find anything in the United States or Canada that you cant kill with it.

I would be using it primarily for hunting and some range time.... would .308 be a better choice than .30-06?

I would be using it primarily for hunting and some range time.... would .308 be a better choice than .30-06?

Well the .30-06 will have a little more gas to get out farther than a .308, but .308 is going to have a lot more choices as far as ammo. And how often do people ever get to shoot farther than 4 or 5 hundred yards? Either one you pick will be good.

Well the .30-06 will have a little more gas to get out farther than a .308, but .308 is going to have a lot more choices as far as ammo. And how often do people ever get to shoot farther than 4 or 5 hundred yards? Either one you pick will be good.

awesome. thanks.

awesome. thanks.

What distances will you be shooting about. Dont worry so much about drop as drop becomes a constant so it doesnt matter if you have 15 ft of drop at 1000 yards or 25 ft of drop. Its always the same so you dial it and know what it is. Ive shot everything from a 6mm, 308, 30-06, 300WM, etc from distances of 0yards out to 1 mile. Yes I said that right. Out to 1 mile. With that being said, the 308 is a good starter gun due to all the options and ammo availability. For hunting purposes, you cant hunt deer in ohio with hi-power rifle so your hunting here is pretty much limited to varmits and pests. Now if you go out west, thats a different story.

Edited by flounder

What distances will you be shooting about. Dont worry so much about drop as drop becomes a constant so it doesnt matter if you have 15 ft of drop at 1000 yards or 25 ft of drop. Its always the same so you dial it and know what it is. Ive shot everything from a 6mm, 308, 30-06, 300WM, etc from distances of 0yards out to 1 mile. Yes I said that right. Out to 1 mile. With that being said, the 308 is a good starter gun due to all the options and ammo availability. For hunting purposes, you cant hunt deer in ohio with hi-power rifle so your hunting here is pretty much limited to varmits and pests. Now if you go out west, thats a different story.

400-500 yards max i would say ....and yea, it would be for hunting out west, or just seeing how many chunks i can blow out of coyotes...i definitely plan to go hunting out west once im out of school though, so ide like to get a gun for it....wont be purchasing for awhile since i just bought my new .17hmr, but just researching options....ive been leaning towards .30-06, but you guys know more than i do

I blame walther and flounder for me not having any money. I plan on starting a bolt gun next winter. Bastards.... anyway im going to do .308 mainly because of all the availability of the ammo. Plus if the shit hit he fan tomorrow I know im gonna be able have more luck finding ammo for a .308 than a .243

I blame walther and flounder for me not having any money. I plan on starting a bolt gun next winter. Bastards.... anyway im going to do .308 mainly because of all the availability of the ammo. Plus if the shit hit he fan tomorrow I know im gonna be able have more luck finding ammo for a .308 than a .243

You dont even want to know the components I have wrapped up in the new build. I could easily buy another track bike for the same coin. :nono: