Rusty rotors

r1crusher

After getting the track bike out yesterday and starting some of my prep work I noticed a LOT of drag on the front wheel. So, having my trusty wrenching whore (thank RVT :D) we tore into the calipers for a good cleaning. We didn't find a lot of buildup on them and after putting them back on the bike there was still a lot of drag. There is a bit of rust on the rotors themselves and like most newer bikes they are semi-floating. I'm now thinking that since the bike sat outside as a salvage for a while that possibly there is some rust build up on the 'bobbins' that hold the outer and inner rotor halves together. I know there will be some drag from the pads but the amount it has now seems excessive, more than on my gixxer.

I did some searching and the only thing I could find to help clean them was to use a small to medium sized rubber cone attached to a drill and some cleaner. Use the drill to spin the bobbin and flush with the cleaner as it's being done, makes sense to me. Of course a Scotchbrite pad will clean up all the other parts.

So my question to everyone else is, what other techniques are there? Use some C-L-R? Just replace them?

After getting the track bike out yesterday and starting some of my prep work I noticed a LOT of drag on the front wheel. So, having my trusty wrenching whore (thank RVT :D) we tore into the calipers for a good cleaning. We didn't find a lot of buildup on them and after putting them back on the bike there was still a lot of drag. There is a bit of rust on the rotors themselves and like most newer bikes they are semi-floating. I'm now thinking that since the bike sat outside as a salvage for a while that possibly there is some rust build up on the 'bobbins' that hold the outer and inner rotor halves together. I know there will be some drag from the pads but the amount it has now seems excessive, more than on my gixxer.

I did some searching and the only thing I could find to help clean them was to use a small to medium sized rubber cone attached to a drill and some cleaner. Use the drill to spin the bobbin and flush with the cleaner as it's being done, makes sense to me. Of course a Scotchbrite pad will clean up all the other parts.

So my question to everyone else is, what other techniques are there? Use some C-L-R? Just replace them?

for someone with so much experience with rusty trombones, i'm surprised this is thread worthy.

also, you're too much of a pansy for nelson, a 600 won't help you, etc etc

You're missing the point, the issue is not the face of the rotors. Duh, riding it will remove any rust there. It's where rotors are joined together that I think the problem is. If the rotors are not allowed to float a little, extra drag is created. I'm just trying to get it into proper shape for next month.

I'll figure out out something.

Thanks for the help (or lack there of) anyway. :thefinger:

We can always run them thru JRMMiii's sandy vag. That should shine 'en up a bit. Then that thing will serve a second purpose to him using it as an excuse from riding anywhere but to Summit and back.