Accident analysis

Bellboy1

I grew up in Dayton and idolized pilots at the airshow and fighter pilots in general. As such I always knew that there was a chance the people I got to know could become a smokey hole in the ground someday, but no one dwelled on it, we just concentrated on the good parts of flying.

Now that I am riding, I finding myself in a similar mindset and trying to just concentrate on the good parts of riding. There have been several accidents around Columbus and I find myself trying to learn from them in an emotionally detached way. First a rider was killed at high speed near my inlaws house about 2 weeks ago. Some reports were he was fleeing from police but either way it was a combination of poor decisions. After my first commuting to work ride last week, the rider from OSU was killed at a busy intersection on the same road later that evening. I do some work with the SAE team over at OSU so I may have even met the guy in passing. This morning as I pulled out of my neighborhood I saw a large touring bike being picked up off 23 by some firemen and pushed into a parking lot. Fortunately it did not look too bad so I don't think it was in a collesion, but I didn't see a rider and the ambulance was still on site. Is the rider OK? Gravel? Left Turner? Lowside? All thougths running through my head because I rode through the same intersection yesterday morning. Do you just move on and accept that this is the price of enjoying motorcycling, or is there something to learn in each case? Maybe I just didn't notice before I started riding, but these three were all close to home for various reasons.

Do you just move on and accept that this is the price of enjoying motorcycling

yes.

The smile on my face, the places I've seen, the roads I've ridden and the people I've met far outweigh it

You do what you can to prepare you mind, self, and bike to be as safe as possible on the roadway.

Prepare your mind by either participating in an MSF course or by studying the course material and other riding guides. Always be reading and trying to learn safe strategies. Avoid reckless operation that can surprise other motorists. Other drivers aren't expecting a vehicle to be traveling twice the speed limit.

Wear gear. The more armor you can put on your body, the better your chances of walking away from a bad situation. Bright and contrasting colors will do wonders to help your visibility. I know my white helmet is extremely visible to drivers, I've been told so. If they see you, they're less likely to run you over.

Prepare your bike by having it in 100% working order. If you have to avoid a situation, your steed needs to be up to the task. Also, running your brights during daylight hours can be helpful and adding additional lights to the front can't hurt.

At the end of the day, your mind needs to be 100% focused on the ride. If you're spending half your mental energy on worrying about the risks of what you're doing, you're not going to be focused enough to react quickly.

accidents are apart of the sport.. as is just that its an accident "for the most part haha" but you cannot dwell on whats going to happen when you ride. I dont know of to many on here that havent been in an accident on the bike.hell The wife and I were at a track day at Putnam last year when she lost the bike to a lowside in turn 8 deadbear right in front of me and i "watched out of the corner of my eye" her tumble across the pavement. its the nature of the beast "she was fine twisted ankle rode rest of the day" but you have to concentrate on the good stuff. how much fun it is to ride... again to dwell on the bad is to ride scared.. not a good way to ride

as long as you are geared up.. it should keep things to a minimum.... keep a vigil eye for things directly around you and enjoy

I've watched as a friend has died in front of me after a race crash. Thought that I would never ride a bike again... I've also been around when guys have been killed at a few other tracks and it just is something you have to push away and out of your mind...

As for the street, the deal is usually a rider that is riding above the ability they posses. I've used it a million times when coaching, but the idea is that there should be a reserve. Meaning, if you ride at 100% of your ability and something pops up, the reserve tank is empty and nothing is left to get you out of trouble or a situation that faces you.

If you can educate yourself and get some training or teaching, that reserve gets bigger and bigger. I know people think I harp on the track day stuff, but I cn promise you that if you do track days to teach you how to use the bike you are riding and how to ride it properly, the reserve gets even bigger.

Sure, there are going to be things like a person blowing a red light that cannot be avoided no matter who you are. But, the cases you mentioned are probably cases where ability was less than the situation needed. Many a rider crash can be shown to be strictly rider error. Again, the random red light runner is something that has no weight on what I am trying to say.

In the end, get out, ride, learn, listen and above all, understand your machine, how it works and give it respect. Using your head and not allowing ego to take control can avoid a lot of issues out there on the street. But, if you see a post about a down rider, maybe read it to see what occurred, but if you do what I do, I simply avoid reading it all together. I know it is cold hearted, but if it stacks on your brain, it can lead to you leaving this great sport and that's a shame. Don't dwell on the crashes and the people. Move on, learn from it and continuously try and evolve as a rider.

Yeh, I just was a little surprised at how detached I was from it. My wife pointed it out to me. She asked how it was that it didn't seem to bother me in the least to hear about this stuff. The whole," I ride ATGATT, have taken the msf classes, listen to advice from experinced riders, and make good decisions" defense mechanisms kick in. I have been around both flying and SCCA racing for many years now and had similar experiences to KTM Brian, but fortunately only witnessed one fatality. Seems like if you are a moderate risk taker in life you have the ability to switch off to the bad stuff emotionally. You learn what you can constructively and move on, never giving it a second thought and just enjoying the sport and all that goes with it. I was just curious to see if it is the same for others.

There are always going to be accidents. I'd rather die doing something I love, rather than cancer, or some other way.

I agree I'd rather go having fun than suffering, accidents happen its part of life it sucks that some don't make it through but the ones that still ride on ride with those lost in their minds of what can happen and don't let it bother then too much.

Let it bother you. But not so much that it become dangerous.

Have fun in the corners. But not so much that it becomes dangerous.

Feel that acceleration. But not so much that it becomes dangerous.

Every time I thumb the starter I promise myself that I will do everything in my power to get home same to my wife and young son. I carry that with me on the ride.

Accidents happen when someone does something unexpected. I just do my best to not be the person doing the unexpected thing.

That, and I keep plenty of traction reserve in every situation I can.

Edited by Scruit
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, there are just so many people on the road in Columbus, I personally live a little more in the country so traffic usually dosen't bother me as much. I'm not a big fan of city riding although it is a lot quicker on a bike.

Every time I thumb the starter I prmoise myself that I will do everything in my power to get home same to my wife and young son. I carry that with me on the ride.

Well said man. I've never thought it through like that...but I think subconsiously I've been in the same spot all along. - Learn from others (both mistakes of theirs and advanced riders doing it well) and ride 300% defensively on the street. I always keep the "NO ONE CAN SEE ME" tenet at the front of my mind...and has saved my butt a number of times..

My accident was a freak occurance where a woman pulled out in front of me and before I knew it, I was head first into a tree. Prior to this, I thought I knew what to look out for...and I also thought if I were in an accident that it would be some broken bones at most since I always wore gear. Little did I know, I would break my spine and become a paraplegic. I always thought a paraplegic was some dumb asshole who did something stupid like diving into a shallow pool.

Long story short, you can learn something from others' accidents but you won't gain immunity. Crazy shit happens and you are taking a risk by getting on a bike. I was only doing 35mph and still wonder how the hell it happened so fast. I wish I could take it all back but I also think about all the great times I had on my bike. There isn't much else that top's riding...except for sex. (Little did I know riding could indirectly take most the fun out of that too)

• Upvote 1

I ride the way Scruit described, but have been known to occasionally get a little too wild. Risk is a part of it all. It's a great feeling when you have something happen where you should be dead, and you pull it off due to that reserve you maintained. It's not so great the other way, I've heard.

My accident was a freak occurance where a woman pulled out in front of me and before I knew it, I was head first into a tree. Prior to this, I thought I knew what to look out for...and I also thought if I were in an accident that it would be some broken bones at most since I always wore gear. Little did I know, I would break my spine and become a paraplegic. I always thought a paraplegic was some dumb asshole who did something stupid like diving into a shallow pool.

Long story short, you can learn something from others' accidents but you won't gain immunity. Crazy shit happens and you are taking a risk by getting on a bike. I was only doing 35mph and still wonder how the hell it happened so fast. I wish I could take it all back but I also think about all the great times I had on my bike. There isn't much else that top's riding...except for sex. (Little did I know riding could indirectly take most the fun out of that too)

I think what happened to you is what we all fear in the back of our minds, and like you have that little voice saying "it won't happen to me".

I don't know if I could ride if I really did believe it could happen that way. I guess it's blissful ignorance, but I'm not sure I could be as big a man as you and handle it the way you have. I hope I don't have to find out.

I think what happened to you is what we all fear in the back of our minds, and like you have that little voice saying "it won't happen to me".

I don't know if I could ride if I really did believe it could happen that way. I guess it's blissful ignorance, but I'm not sure I could be as big a man as you and handle it the way you have. I hope I don't have to find out.

Blissful ignorance is right....hell, I have run every scenario through my head a million times. I think, "if someone told me, don't get on the bike today because you will end paralyzed" I would have happily set my bike on fire. But there is still a part of me who would've thought, Bullshit. That's crazy talk.

I had a conversation with my best friend 3 days before my accident about his cousin who was in a coma from riding without a helmet. I told him, well that was his mistake because riding without a helmet is stupid. Well, that dude is up and walking again and I'm not.

I know a paraplegic who fell off a 10 foot ladder onto a paint can...again a freak occurance. We all live at our own risk and have to accept that we are not an exception but regardless of how much we all say that, there is still a tiny subconcious part of us that think we are. Case is point, I still ride...and I am a fucking retard for it. I guess I think that I might as well try and get some enjoyment out of what I have.

I'm not sure I could be as big a man as you and handle it the way you have. I hope I don't have to find out.

^+1 Its good to be an example for others that a freak occurance does not mean the end of everything. Shit happens, how you deal with it is the part that others remember and respect.

There was a guy named Doug Bader who lost both legs below the knee in an airplane accident in the late 30's. Not only went back to flying but went on to be a great ace flying Spitfires in WWII. I thought of him when I read BKizz's post.

^+1 Its good to be an example for others that a freak occurance does not mean the end of everything. Shit happens, how you deal with it is the part that others remember and respect.

There was a guy named Doug Bader who lost both legs below the knee in an airplane accident in the late 30's. Not only went back to flying but went on to be a great ace flying Spitfires in WWII. I thought of him when I read BKizz's post.

Digression:

My mother was a radar operator in the RAF and she "met" Douglas Bader. He was given a tour of the radar room and while talking to another senior officer, standing right next to my mother, stated; "Have the girl get me a tea."

She replied something to the effect of; "'The GIRL is too busy to get your tea, Sir."

He turned to her, smiled, apologized for being rude and politely asked her to get him a tea. This time he got his tea.

Digression:

My mother was a radar operator in the RAF and she "met" Douglas Bader. He was given a tour of the radar room and while talking to another senior officer, standing right next to my mother, stated; "Have the girl get me a tea."

She replied something to the effect of; "'The GIRL is too busy to get your tea, Sir."

He turned to her, smiled, apologized for being rude and politely asked her to get him a tea. This time he got his tea.

I met Adolf Galland at a German airshow around 1992. He befriended Bader when Bader was shot down and in a POW camp. Admired him greatly, I remember him talking about it during his presentation.

IIRC, Bader was shot down once by the JG26, Galland's unit.

There are always going to be accidents. I'd rather die doing something I love, rather than cancer, or some other way.

^ this

I got into riding after I found out I had cancer at the age of 19. Every thing turned out okay but I had a lot of time to think about my life and what I had done with it. I had always wanted to ride a motorcycle but was to scared of the consequences. After everything happened I said fuck it and bought one anyways. I will NEVER go back being bikeless. My family hates it but the only time everything is right in my life is when I am on my baby.