increasing speed in twistiez

Jamez

Damn, I thought for sure there was going to be an attack for my abrasive post. I'm impressed that I spoke my mind and nobody got irate over it. :cheers:

Yeah, I understand your point of view Brian. Not everyone cares to be a consistent track rider though. If it was free, sure, but it's not worth the money to always go IMO. I feel it's worth a 1 or 2x deal though for sure. I and many others really enjoy street riding and the joy it brings is pretty much what I wanted to get across. It's kind of like JW's and Mormons always knocking on your door trying to convert you when you just want them to keep it to themselves and quit preaching...you know? I consider the track a learning tool and not a lifestyle. Hmmm...I guess I'm just saying that damn it...I'm a street rider and enjoy the freedom of riding whenever I want, how I want, and being with friends. :)

And Bike Nights. They're cool too.:p

That's why vtwin riders are better than everyone else, because they control the beast. Those I4 guys :nono: . Taming a vtwin vs. an I4 is like the difference between taming a lion vs. a housecat. :D

Where does that leave my triple? :D

You're not going to learn well if you don't have the basics down. The OP seems like he doesn't. You need to be able to know how to basically ride a motorcycle before any track day IMO. I rode 2 years before my track day and only thing different I learned was how to lean better in turns. I had others/mentors teach me the most that have done it all before I knew what a motorcycle was. The street isn't a track, which is what the majority of motorcyclists care about...riding the street. Not many people care about track riding when it comes to motorcycling. Everyone should do one, but not many people care to make a hobby out of it. It's not as great/fun as others make it out to be; doing lap after lap of the same shit. Most of them that do them all the time do it because it makes them feel like they're better than street riders, OR they're wanna be stars in their head when in reality nothing will come of it, OR they're just too scared of the street. I personally get tired of hearing track only riders speak of it so highly. I hate the fucking track just because of the that. I thought it was awesome after my 1st time then I hit the street again and realized the street is WAY more fun. I apply what I learned on the track to the street and it made riding more fun, but the street is more fun than a track IMO. :) Track only people kind of get on my nerves.

I am by far a track only rider and I probably would be dead if I hadn't started going to the track. I can now ride ON THE STREET at a much better pace and have way more in reserve. Riding a motorcycle is a constant learning process and the people you ride with can't teach you everything. The reason everyone says to go to the track is you can learn in a controlled environment, it has nothing to do with trying to turn them into a track junkie.

As for you not liking the track, your doing it wrong. :D

:lol: Fuck a bike night! Not a fan of the guys who bought a bike purposely to just ride from business to business and hang out in parking lots are not riders I want to ride with. Fo'sho! There is some people I have met that NEVER even leave the inner city with their bikes...what a waste.

:lol: Fuck a bike night! Anywhere there is people that bought a bike purposely to just ride from business to business and hang out in parking lots are not riders I want to ride with. Fo'sho!

But it's easier to get drunk and ride at a bike night.

I am by far a track only rider and I probably would be dead if I hadn't started going to the track. I can now ride ON THE STREET at a much better pace and have way more in reserve. Riding a motorcycle is a constant learning process and the people you ride with can't teach you everything. The reason everyone says to go to the track is you can learn in a controlled environment, it has nothing to do with trying to turn them into a track junkie.

As for you not liking the track, your doing it wrong. :D

I don't know anyone to learn from on the street anymore. If the track was local and maybe $25 a day...I'd love to be there once a month or so. ;)

I don't know anyone to learn from on the street anymore. If the track was local and maybe $25 a day...I'd love to be there once a month or so. ;)

Come ride in morning traffic with me into downtown, I'm sure you'll pick up a thing or two. :D

Come ride in morning traffic with me into downtown, I'm sure you'll pick up a thing or two. :D

:lol: Can we call that riding or more like trying to survive?

I thought you worked on Research Blvd?

Remember that dbag that saw us at the gas station that night in shorts and no helmet that pulled a wheelie when he saw us? I tend to see his type all over the city.

Edited by NinjaNick

I can fly through the Gap faster than a track guy who is going for the first few run throughs. Likewise, a guy who spends all his dosh on going to Mid Ohio is going to do much better at pushing the speed than myself, who has gone five times. By now I've got the line, the braking points- but finding the limits is still the game...

You're comparing experience and 'track' knowledge instead of skill.

Brian's example is more appropriate. Take your Deal's Gap "expert" and your Mid Ohio "expert" and put them in a neutral environment that neither of them are familiar with.

Then you're really comparing riding ability, because it's testing how their acquired skills translate to the same (new) variable: the road.

Even then, you're predicating the comparison on an assumption that all (or even most) street riders are skilled enough to quickly navigate through Deal's Gap.

I highly doubt that's true. No one is saying that you can't learn to ride quickly and skillfully on the street, but I believe (and I think many of the track riders are also trying to say) that the track allows you to learn much more quickly, and in a vastly safer environment.

It's not about what can or cannot be done; it's about what gives you the greatest chance for success, and the easiest route to get there.

No different than starting on a 250 instead of a 1000. Of course you CAN learn to ride on a 180hp bike; but it's easier to learn on a 250.

Brian's example is more appropriate. Take your Deal's Gap "expert" and your Mid Ohio "expert" and put them in a neutral environment that neither of them are familiar with.

I haven't been involved in this discussion, but that is an interesting comment.

One thing I've noticed that the fastest street riders (I'm talking veterans with many miles under their belts) have in common is the ability to swiftly negotiate roads and corners that they are NOT familiar with, sometimes with little or no line of sight.

I'm not saying that fast track riders can't do that, but I will say that the ability to negotiate unknown terrain is not as necessary on a track where you repeat the same course many times.

The actual technical skills (counter steering, body position, etc) translate to street or track. While they probably can be learned faster on the track, they can also be learned on the street. I have logged many street miles with track instructors and have soaked up much of their knowledge.

Lots of good roads in WV or SE OH have MANY blind hills and curves. The quickest and safest line through those types of corners is different than the track line. That may not be a comfortable situation for someone with a lot of track experience but little on the street.

If you want to be quick on the street...you need the technical skills and experience on the street.

If you want to be quick on the track...you need the technical skills and experience on the track.

Edited by Tpoppa

I've always liked you TPOPPA. :lol: You are a wise man and I thought what you said too, but didn't want to post it. If you don't worship track riding on this site and mention it you get crucified. I try to stay out of that chat, but I was really buzzed last night and shouldn't have gotten on the net right before bed. :eek: Sometimes it's hard to express your opinions on this site because people don't respect it. Kind of like the my way is the only way attitude.

As I stated earlier though, I wish everyone to do atleast 1 or 2 for the learning experience. You don't need to make a hobby out of it though if you don't want to and still be an amazing street rider.

Edited by NinjaNick

Sometimes it's hard to express your opinions on this site because people don't respect it. Kind of like the my way is the only way attitude.

I half-heartedly disagree with this statement. Although I know what you mean and have seen it, I'd say its a select few. This is also coming from me who has been apart of many different forums motorcyle and car related and OR seems hands down the most "open-minded" about things if you will

I think the best ride tip that I ever had was when riding with some locals on the Skyway at the Gap. A guy nicknamed Chile said that every curve on that route could be taken at 70mph. Tried it, and it smoothed everything out just keeping the bike at a constant speed through a section. No braking, no accelerating- just focused on the weight transfer.

Second best thing was Reg Pridmore following me with a camera at Mid Ohio on his RC51. Loosened the grip a little.

Looking forward to the next track day. And next weekend ride for that matter too...

I half-heartedly disagree with this statement. Although I know what you mean and have seen it, I'd say its a select few. This is also coming from me who has been apart of many different forums motorcyle and car related and OR seems hands down the most "open-minded" about things if you will

There's some sites out there that they are like walking into the Hells Angels bar wearing a Mongols jacket. :eek:

the internet is polarizing. It allows every idiot in the world to find like-minded individuals; enough that they think they're right. when someone comes in disagreeing, they all jump on the person and argue them down until they get fed up and leave.

We're all "open minded" with each other because we substantially agree on most things around here.

I would characterize Ohio-Riders.net as a right-leaning mix of sportbike loud-mouths and slightly less boisterous cruiser riders.

so even when we disagree on riding style, we (mostly) agree on politics, values, firearms, morals, etc.

It allows for our debates to be more focused within our interests; i.e. what type of firearm, rather than whether or not guns are bad. Even when we flatly disagree, there's a lot more common ground than most sites.