increasing speed in twistiez

Jamez

all you twats are wrong, sport touring is the best. I can cruise for thousands of miles, drinking coffee, doing motherfucking yoga. the rest of you low rent peons can eat my iron ass.

• Upvote 1

the internet is polarizing. It allows every idiot in the world to find like-minded individuals; enough that they think they're right. when someone comes in disagreeing, they all jump on the person and argue them down until they get fed up and leave.

We're all "open minded" with each other because we substantially agree on most things around here.

I would characterize Ohio-Riders.net as a right-leaning mix of sportbike loud-mouths and slightly less boisterous cruiser riders.

so even when we disagree on riding style, we (mostly) agree on politics, values, firearms, morals, etc.

It allows for our debates to be more focused within our interests; i.e. what type of firearm, rather than whether or not guns are bad. Even when we flatly disagree, there's a lot more common ground than most sites.

This is true.

...or plan an evacuation route for the flooding. :(

I can't ever seem to make riding plans because the weather is impossible this year. I'm soooo sick of rain; it's getting ridiculous. Roads all around being closed, and sewers spraying water out of the man hole lids like a fountain in my neighborhood.

We need Evan Almighty!

Edited by NinjaNick

I don't think speed is his goal here, I think form is, which is perfect. Practicing good form here will help down the road, also, don't forget to look into picking you're lines around the turns, this helps. I personally love leaning into turns, and no, I don't mean knee dragging, just leaning into it is enough to help.

Nope.... If we gauge a wreck as a fail. On one ride through unknown roads around the 555, four of us set out, and two wrecked. Street rider here, same pace- bike came back whole. One street rider wreck, one tracker wreck. Who is the better rider?

Sort of silly to say who is better. I can fly through the Gap faster than a track guy who is going for the first few run throughs. Likewise, a guy who spends all his dosh on going to Mid Ohio is going to do much better at pushing the speed than myself, who has gone five times. By now I've got the line, the braking points- but finding the limits is still the game...

There is luck, there is knowledge and there is a combo of both at times that can effect the outcome. My scenario was taking a new rider period. Both guys ride the street, but one gets track training.

You are only going to know your bike more and more the more advanced the training. Trust me when I say that track guys aren't better riders. We see a lot of guys that just don't get it, think they are Rossi and ball stuff up regularly because they THINK they are on the track.

It was in terms of reserve. On the track, you develop a reserve and knowledge base that understands your bike more than you can learn on the street. If you think you have harnessed the complete ability of your bike and can ride beyond IT by solely being a street rider, I think that is a false hope.

I will say that there are PLENTY of track guys that never get anywhere in terms of learning more. It's sad to say that some guys come and never get anything out of it. Some because they don't try and some because they never got direction and coaching from the school or organization they rode with.

I will use the examples as I mentioned before, but again... The idea is that you will excel with more knowledge and street only is going to be limited. Track only as well. You need a good combo of both and you'd be set...

Damn, I thought for sure there was going to be an attack for my abrasive post. I'm impressed that I spoke my mind and nobody got irate over it. :cheers:

Yeah, I understand your point of view Brian. Not everyone cares to be a consistent track rider though. If it was free, sure, but it's not worth the money to always go IMO. I feel it's worth a 1 or 2x deal though for sure. I and many others really enjoy street riding and the joy it brings is pretty much what I wanted to get across. It's kind of like JW's and Mormons always knocking on your door trying to convert you when you just want them to keep it to themselves and quit preaching...you know? I consider the track a learning tool and not a lifestyle. Hmmm...I guess I'm just saying that damn it...I'm a street rider and enjoy the freedom of riding whenever I want, how I want, and being with friends. :)

For sure!

I think we all have aspects of riding that we enjoy and I too, hate the pushing of it onto others. But, I was simply saying that from my experience from being a so called "racer" I guess and many years as a street rider. I choose race/track for obvious reasons - like why a guy chooses an over/under shotgun vs a pump I guess. Two aspects and two very different thoughts, etc.

I agree that you can learn a ton from street riding. Think about this - street riders have to process TONS of information. Deer, road surface, road design, cars, debris, the bike, the passenger, etc. Track guys have to process less, I think, but at the speed and the way they do it, it is equally challenging. Otherwise, everyone would do it and do it above average...

To each their own, but I think we are saying the same thing but with a bit more passion towards one idea vs the other. In the end, track riding can only help.

It all comes with self confidence. The biggest thing I learned riding is that you have to trust that you gave yourself a safe line to follow within your limits while looking ahead at where you want to go, not paying attention where you are.

Keep the front balls of your feet on your pegs and know your tires will handle more than you're throwing at them.

Get a track day under your belt too. I never got a chance at the track, but I'm jealous of the skill the other riders I rode with had from track day instruction.

I haven't been involved in this discussion, but that is an interesting comment.

One thing I've noticed that the fastest street riders (I'm talking veterans with many miles under their belts) have in common is the ability to swiftly negotiate roads and corners that they are NOT familiar with, sometimes with little or no line of sight.

I'm not saying that fast track riders can't do that, but I will say that the ability to negotiate unknown terrain is not as necessary on a track where you repeat the same course many times.

The actual technical skills (counter steering, body position, etc) translate to street or track. While they probably can be learned faster on the track, they can also be learned on the street. I have logged many street miles with track instructors and have soaked up much of their knowledge.

Lots of good roads in WV or SE OH have MANY blind hills and curves. The quickest and safest line through those types of corners is different than the track line. That may not be a comfortable situation for someone with a lot of track experience but little on the street.

If you want to be quick on the street...you need the technical skills and experience on the street.

If you want to be quick on the track...you need the technical skills and experience on the track.

Good points, but what if a guy has the technical skills and experience needed for the street and gets training on the track That's my point...

We have seen some SERIOUSLY great street riders come to the track only to be at best, average in the Intermediate group. I then have seen some seriously good track guys that have street cred and experience ride the street and really ride at a level that is equal to the guys that know the roads and yet, they are not pushing. Again, that reserve...

Quick story here - There's a guy I know that has been to three tracks he's never been to this year. By mid day, he was running with the top 1/3 of the riders. By end of the day, there were maybe a few guys faster. The idea is that he adapted so quickly to the new tracks that he was fairly quick.

Now, is that ability from years of experience? Is it natural ability? Is that the skill level he's developed over the years?

I think that you take both riders and place them in an unknown environment and have them run whatever that environment is, you'd see the street rider with track experience shine through and adapt quicker and be faster with much more reserve available. I think the street guy will struggle.

Or, do this... Take a track day guy with street experience and the equal of his that has street only. Take them to a neutral road and a neutral track. Take their times. Give them say, 2 hours to learn each place. See what the results are.

Again, it is NOT slandering the street only guy. But, think of it this way... You know how to work on your car to do normal stuff like oil changes, timing belts, etc. BUT, if you went to school and knew how to tear a motor down and had that on top of what you already knew, wouldn't it make you better as a guy that can work on motors?

Make sense? I think Nick's thoughts are correct and true. I also think there are others that have great feedback.

BUT, I am not marking the street only guys as inexperienced. No way. Also, before anyone jumps my case, I have been street riding for a LOOOOOONG time. I got off the street a long time ago also, but I still do a good bit of ridding per year for a guy that doesn't really care to street only ride anymore...

I think that you take both riders and place them in an unknown environment and have them run whatever that environment is, you'd see the street rider with track experience shine through and adapt quicker and be faster with much more reserve available. I think the street guy will struggle.

Or, do this... Take a track day guy with street experience and the equal of his that has street only. Take them to a neutral road and a neutral track. Take their times. Give them say, 2 hours to learn each place. See what the results are.

I see your point, but don't necessarily agree.

Since you mention scenarios, how about this one.

I like to sport tour. Actully, I like to sport ride over touring distances. On a 500 mile day through WV, you'll cover 2,000 corners (probably much more actually). The pace tends to be fast. Some of the roads I've ridden before, some I haven't but there's no way that I can remember the line through that many corners. My pace is based on my ability to negotiate each corner like it was the first time I've ridden it.

Now, I've done lots of those rides with some seriously great street riders and some seriously great track riders (some that were both). One guy that stands out in my mind was a track stud. He was quick on the street as long as he was following someone else, when he was in the lead, meaning he couldn't base his pace on any one else, he was seriously slow (he actually wouldn't lead for that reason). Very strong on the track, but not an accomplished street rider and he knew it.

Sometimes I lead those rides, sometimes I don't. Either way, I've never felt disadvantaged becuase other riders have track experience. I have a reserve also.

Track experience is great. It's a good way to gain experience, but it's not the only way.

If you think you have harnessed the complete ability of your bike and can ride beyond IT by solely being a street rider, I think that is a false hope.

Oh, most definitely. The slab we use won't let us. On a 600 or 1000 hell no, but I like to think I can get close to it on my 14...haha. :evil:

For sure!

I think we all have aspects of riding that we enjoy and I too, hate the pushing of it onto others. But, I was simply saying that from my experience from being a so called "racer" I guess and many years as a street rider. I choose race/track for obvious reasons - like why a guy chooses an over/under shotgun vs a pump I guess. Two aspects and two very different thoughts, etc.

I agree that you can learn a ton from street riding. Think about this - street riders have to process TONS of information. Deer, road surface, road design, cars, debris, the bike, the passenger, etc. Track guys have to process less, I think, but at the speed and the way they do it, it is equally challenging. Otherwise, everyone would do it and do it above average...

To each their own, but I think we are saying the same thing but with a bit more passion towards one idea vs the other. In the end, track riding can only help.

:werd: I agree dawg! :cheers:

How old are you? I ask because I was curious after you mentioned age in your post to TPOPPA.

Oh, most definitely. The slab we use won't let us. On a 600 or 1000 hell no, but I like to think I can get close to it on my 14...haha. :evil:

:werd: I agree dawg! :cheers:

How old are you? I ask because I was curious after you mentioned age in your post to TPOPPA.

Big 4-Oh!