Parking Lot Skill Training

sporttour

Practicing slow speed maneuvering in a parking lot helps hone your riding skills. Instead of buying little cones like used on the MSF courses, save some money. Buy some day-glo tennis balls and cur them in half. These work as great little cones and they stack in a small cinch bag so you can throw them in your tank bag or saddle bag. The more you learn, the better it gets.

• Upvote 1

if you want cheap, just use crap that you gathered from the parking lot like a piece of wood, some cans, empty water bottles etc.

then when you are done, throw it in the trash can. you just did your good deed for the day.

Edited by John

Great suggestion! Every spring I make it a point to go up to the local mall or the community college and practice slow speed skills. Never thought about the tennis balls. That's a good idea. thanks.

I think either way you go is good. I have a .pdf of the MSF riding tips practice excersizes that call for milk cartons or plastic bottles with water or sand in the bottom. I thought that was a bit of overkill for PLP. I used cut up hollow racketball balls since I had some laying around the house. I don't think they show up as good as the tennis balls would though.

Figure 8's, fast stops, 90 degree turns left and right in parking spots, weave through the corners of the parking spots.

That's all I can think of right now.

That about covers it for me too. When i started out this year, I used the markers for the weave and swerve practice. On figure 8's and U turns I just try to see how smooth and how small I can make them using the painted lines. Forced me to get smooth on my friction zone control. I usually did 3 or 4 quick stops as well. At my lot I have also been able to practice the "going over an obstacle" thing using the speed bumps on the outer driveway. Now that I'm out riding about more, I do not do a lot of PLP. Maybe 1 or 2 figure 8's and 2 quick stops and then I head out into traffic. As a newb, the plp just gets my head in the right place before jumping onto the main roads. I'm hoping the repetition makes it so I just react correctly when I need to.

Redkow97- I was pretty concerned about gravel in general , so I used the gravelly part of the lot to practice in it. I did it at low speed but experimented with front brake, back brake, slow turns. I think it developed a feel for what I can actually do around gravel. When I've had to run through it in the street now I have not had any trouble but the plp helped me get over the fear of it on the road. Now I just respect it and try not to do anything stupid as I go through. :eek:

You are never too good, too old or too experienced to practice in a parking lot.

The more you know, the more you understand the limits of your knowledge. Ask any adolescent, they will claim they know it all. LOL

Definitely a good cheap and easy to see obstacle idea - my wife will be doing some manuevering with them next month at the local mall - now to just keep from cutting off a thumbtip with my knife.....dont have a bandsaw handy;)

Yep, those are the MSF drills I started with. Then I work in some additional figure 8's of various sizes and use the speed bumps in my local lot to practice going over obstacles. Since it's rained so much, I go over and try various surface conditions too. I try stopping and turning in shallow puddles and just on wet surfaces since you never know when that might come in handy. For me I've found there is not much difference, but I like the fact that I know how it will react in those conditions and don't have to guess out on the road.

I prefer to use yellow dashed center lines at 70mph. lol :p

Just for giggles and without looking can anyone tell me how long those dashed lines are on the freeway and how far apart they are? :D This is a little test that I use with 16 year olds that are learning to drive, but I've had some parents interested in the answer too.