question

ohiomike

a friend is thinking about selling her bike but not sure what to do. She wants to get another one, more of a road bike like maybe a 650 vstar.

My ?? is this-What should she be able to realistically get out of her 2001 Suzuki Katana 650? It has about 11k miles on it. A few scratches, all cosmetic. I rode it and it runs and operates great. No mechanical issues and she has it serviced probably more than it needs...lol.

Whata ya think? I'm trying to help her out so she does ok with a deal like this and thought you guys here are far more knowledgeable on these kinds of bikes.

thanks

I'd check www.kbb.com for a close and current value for the bike - realistically, selling outright she should get somthing between trade and resale values.

My wife was wanting a 600 sportbike for her first ride, but she's vertically challenged at 5ft. and the only thing we found stock that she could plant both feet on was the new Ninja 250 - but she didn't want a bike that small so we ended up buying her Dad's Intruder 800 to start her on - it's a bit heavy for a starter bike though, and she doesn't like the way it handles of course ( I've had her on the back of too many sportbikes and she grew accustomed ).

650 or 800 twin cruiser would be good if she's been riding a while, but they've got quite a different feel in comparison to the weight, handling, and power of a sportbike - wish I could talk my wife into selling her bike to your friend since she's only put 200 miles on her's in a years time.......but she won't part with it yet for some reason.

Good luck to your friend

Hey thanks. Looks like, in perfect shape, $2300. Someone else told here she would only get $1500 so looks like they're not far off.

My wife too is vertically challenged.....short....lol. I found one of those v star classics for a good price, slammed it so her 4'10 self could reach and at a stop have her feet flat footed and her knees bent. Great, lightweight little bike that has some go power. Got a set of Rush pipes on it, a set of bags and a shield and she loves riding her bike.

Thanks again!

It is a katana... Got any pics? and when did the kats become 650's?

This is wimmen we're talkin about here....lol, I think after doing some checking its probably a 600. Things got some torque tho...first time on something like that. I was impressed with the balance and how light it is. I can see how they could be a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a cute ladies ride paint scheme and all - looks real clean, shouldn't have too much trouble getting what she's asking but probably wont be any fella's buying it;)

Best of luck to her!

Nah, it is relatively cheap to have it repainted - but, I wouldnt invest any $$$ just sell as is - theres got to be some ladies out there looking for a bike.

Did you post this up in the bike shop too? Get more attention there