help with silly putty in fabric...

chevysoldier

So my daughter has some silly putty and she got it in her little chair. It's pretty well into the fabric and I can't get hardly anymore of it out. I tried using ice to harden it but it really didn't help much. Anyone had this kind of problem or have any ideas?

Edited by chevysoldier
typo

So my daughter has some silly puffy and she got it in her little chair. It's pretty well into the fabric and I can't get hardly anymore of it out. I tried using ice to harden it but it really didn't help much. Anyone had this kind of problem or have any ideas?

this will probably be a question you don't know the answer to but what kind of fabric? That makes a big difference

I used to work at a Drycleaners in High School and College and used to know all the tricks of how to get what out of certain fabrics

you know those little saucer chairs?? The filling material is resonated polyester fiber batting. the outside I think is polyester and kinda fuzzy but not really. i am totally livid over this. its a really nice chair and i am really hoping she didnt ruin it.....

you know those little saucer chairs?? The filling material is resonated polyester fiber batting. the outside I think is polyester and kinda fuzzy but not really. i am totally livid over this. its a really nice chair and i am really hoping she didnt ruin it.....

even thought its fuzzy, does it kind of have a silky feel to it?

oh boy this is going to be a tad more difficult to diagnose than I thought due to the make up of silly puddy:

65% dimethyl siloxane, hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid

17% silica, quartz crystalline

9% thixotrol ST

4% polydimethylsiloxane

1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane

1% glycerine

1% titanium dioxide

oh boy this is going to be a tad more difficult to diagnose than i thought due to the make up of silly puddy:

65% dimethyl siloxane, hydroxy-terminated polymers with boric acid

17% silica, quartz crystalline

9% thixotrol st

4% polydimethylsiloxane

1% decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane

1% glycerine

1% titanium dioxide

w...t...f....lmao

I think acetone will cut dimethyl siloxane...(the biggest ingredient in silly putty)

It will cause it to swell a little, but I believe it will dilute it quite a bit, now getting it OUT of the fabric without staining wil be tricky (don't know much about that).

most nail polish removers are acetone.

However, the best solvent would probably be Methanol (methyl alcohol)

without knowing the fabric, these might also dissolve it as well though

(working for a chemical company for 5 months, I sure have picked up a lot)

we use acetone as a general purpose cleaner... good luck

I think acetone will cut dimethyl siloxane...(the biggest ingredient in silly putty)

It will cause it to swell a little, but I believe it will dilute it quite a bit, now getting it OUT of the fabric without staining wil be tricky (don't know much about that).

most nail polish removers are acetone.

the best solvent would probably be Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits)

without knowing the fabric, these might also dissolve it as well though

(working for a chemical company for 5 months, I sure have picked up a lot)

if its a cotton poly blend, acetone will at the very minimum stain but more than likely eat through it.

If its a chair marketed for kid use that the fabric is not Acetate, which as it sounds has acetone in its make up therefore making acetone a viable option

from crayola's web site...

Cleaning Materials

Dull knife or metal spoon

WD-40® (car part lubricant)

Cotton balls

Liquid dish soap

Rubbing alcohol

Soft cloth or sponge

Stain Removal Tips

Scrape off excess Silly Putty with a dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Spray with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. Scrape excess Silly Putty with dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Respray with WD-40 and wipe off stain with cotton balls. If any stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, blot the stain and rinse. Wipe any remaining residue or remaining stain with a damp sponge or cloth moistened with liquid dish soap. Wash garment per the manufacturer’s direction.

http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/staintips/index.cfm

G3- not really an option. Don't even know if I could get a new shell.

Acetone huh. I might try some on a hidden corner to see if it stains. And on some of the putty I got out to see what the acetone does to it.

edit- PUTTY NOT PUFFY! stupid auto correct

Edited by chevysoldier

from crayola's web site...

Cleaning Materials

Dull knife or metal spoon

WD-40® (car part lubricant)

Cotton balls

Liquid dish soap

Rubbing alcohol

Soft cloth or sponge

Stain Removal Tips

Scrape off excess Silly Putty with a dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Spray with WD-40 and let stand a few minutes. Scrape excess Silly Putty with dull-edge knife or metal spoon. Respray with WD-40 and wipe off stain with cotton balls. If any stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol, blot the stain and rinse. Wipe any remaining residue or remaining stain with a damp sponge or cloth moistened with liquid dish soap. Wash garment per the manufacturer’s direction.

http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/staintips/index.cfm

oooh. Nice find. Thanks!

DO NOT USE WD-40 on fabric. A grase cutting dish soap or rubbing alcohol would be a much better option

If I had $1 for every time some hilljack from down the hill tried to spot clean their clothes with wd-40 and it didn't work then expected us to get out the extra stain they put in it, I would have about 5 more bikes

Also, thank you for having a head on your shoulders and testing it on an inconspicuous place first

DO NOT USE WD-40 on fabric. A grase cutting dish soap or rubbing alcohol would be a much better option

If I had $1 for every time some hilljack from down the hill tried to spot clean their clothes with wd-40 and it didn't work then expected us to get out the extra stain they put in it, I would have about 5 more bikes

Also, thank you for having a head on your shoulders and testing it on an inconspicuous place first

Ok. Maybe no on the wd40...

Blast it with brake cleaner. I swear

That's what I use on grease or dirt stains on car upholstry

Isn't brake cleaner MEK? Methyl Ethyl Ketone? Either way, use outdoors. Not good to breath the vapors.

Brake cleaner is no fun to get into the eyes, either.

Brake cleaner is no joke! One time I was spraying some on a running engine, past the fan, and in a very short time, the vapors just about got me. I was having a tough time breathing more than very shallow breaths. Yes, be careful with that stuff.

Brake cleaner is no fun to get into the eyes, either.

Brake cleaner is no joke! One time I was spraying some on a running engine, past the fan, and in a very short time, the vapors just about got me. I was having a tough time breathing more than very shallow breaths. Yes, be careful with that stuff.

ROFL I can see you doing that.....

That's one of those DUH moments.