Charging issues

oomp

so I got my Yamaha out earlier this Spring and the Battery was Dead , no big deal since it had been sitting all Winter . but after fully Charging the Battery it only lasted about a Day and it was Dead to where it would not start . I go get a new Battery, make sure that it was fully Charged and all was good . now it is going down to where it won't Start again . if I Bump Start it , it Starts and runs fine . I have noticed that when I Rev it up at a Light I can see the Headlight get Brighter .

anyone have any ideas on what it might be ?

its a 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Thanks .

so I got my Yamaha out earlier this Spring and the Battery was Dead , no big deal since it had been sitting all Winter . but after fully Charging the Battery it only lasted about a Day and it was Dead to where it would not start . I go get a new Battery, make sure that it was fully Charged and all was good . now it is going down to where it won't Start again . if I Bump Start it , it Starts and runs fine . I have noticed that when I Rev it up at a Light I can see the Headlight get Brighter .

anyone have any ideas on what it might be ?

its a 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Thanks .

Wild SWAG -- your R/R is fried, (hint from the brighter headlight when reved) and it lets the stator charge the liven shit outta you battery, and now your battery is fried too.

Guesstimate solution, you need to buy a new R/R and plan on a battery too. On the R/R, I would make sure it is a MOSFET style design or if you are decent with wiring, grab a compufire series design. (fix it soon, otherwise it will fry other stuff too. )

Here's good chart for figuring it out if you can use a voltmeter.

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Btw -avoid electrosport parts, not all that reliable.

Edited by mello dude

IF your charging system went into an "overcharge" make sure you check your lights after repair. My bike is is nowhere as new as yours, I have a 1982 GS 850. When my voltage regulator failed, it allowed the charging system to output 18 volts. As a result, my rear turn signals, taillight, and instrument cluster bulbs all burnt out too.

man , I suck at Electical stuff , is this something that is all plug in ? also where do I go to get something like this ?

I know the R1 has the MOSFET design style, and looked it up on RonAyers.com - the part # listed was ---

5VX-81960-00-00

I checked it against your FZ6 part # ----

5VY-81960-00-00

Ok a guess is it is the same design, anyway its OEM.

http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/818607

At 83 bucks, its a very fair deal. I'd go for it and look for a battery too.

Another to do, is look at your stator connectors for discoloration to see if there is any arc ing.

Btw - I've use RonAyers in quite a lot of bike parts. They are a first class outfit.

Good luck

I know the R1 has the MOSFET design style, and looked it up on RonAyers.com - the part # listed was ---

5VX-81960-00-00

I checked it against your FZ6 part # ----

5VY-81960-00-00

Ok a guess is it is the same design, anyway its OEM.

http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/818607

At 83 bucks, its a very fair deal. I'd go for it and look for a battery too.

Another to do, is look at your stator connectors for discoloration to see if there is any arc ing.

Btw - I've use RonAyers in quite a lot of bike parts. They are a first class outfit.

Good luck

cool , I will check it out . this really helps

thanks again for the info .

All in agreement on the R/R. It may be worth the money to go ahead and take in to a shop for a quick diagnostic. Those parts start messing up and they can cook a lot of stuff. You will want to have your stator checked mainly, and the wiring harness. Good luck.

+1. I'd start with the new rectifier and see if the battery will hold a charge. If not, return it soon.

Did you get the project bike finished?

here is a pic of it almost done , then I sold it to my little brother :D

the FZ6 like the R6 and the R1 have a built in diagnostic feature that allows you to test all the electronics of the bike. even the battery voltage. no need for any diagnostic equipment on a Yamaha.

the first thing you need to check is your charging voltage while the engine is running.

it needs to be at least 14v @ 5k rpm at minimum. (should actually be 14 at an idle)

if it isn't, don't assume you need to buy stuff.

next unplug the rectifier and look closely at the connectors and the wires. a lot of yamaha's have had problems with the connectors. if it's fine move on.

test resistance of the stator with a multimeter.

this is from a R6. the plug shape might be different but that doesn't matter.

3328827677_1d8d765982_z.jpg?zz=1

I'm calling rider error. As in you were wrong for letting it sit for a year anna half.

Get it fixed!!! So you can go riding in your crocs. :D

ha , it was more like 5 Months tops . you know its my daly ride

apparenly I squid rock crocs 24-7 , you wouldn't know who was behind that would ya :nono:

update .

Checked all the connections , all of them looked good . charged the Battery and fired it up . it started right up and the Headlight was nice and Bright . after running for a few Minutes the Light started getting dim and got Brighter when reved up . I think the Battery is still good but its just not charging like it should . is my best bet to get a new R/R and go from there ?

update .

Checked all the connections , all of them looked good . charged the Battery and fired it up . it started right up and the Headlight was nice and Bright . after running for a few Minutes the Light started getting dim and got Brighter when reved up . I think the Battery is still good but its just not charging like it should . is my best bet to get a new R/R and go from there ?

Yea, grab a new R/R. If you have a voltmeter and can find the + and - on the battery, crank it up and check battery at idle, 2000 and 5000 rpm. It should be in the 14.xx range at 2000 and 5000. With the headlight going bright/dim, my guess youll be seeing 15+ volts at 5000 rpm. If true, bad R/R confirmed. If also true, dont ride bike anymore till you change it.

Edited by mello dude