squid?

Jamez

Every time I throw a leg over my bike I gear up first! Boots, gloves, helmet and armored pants. Like a lot of people are stating "mesh is your friend" in hot weather. To save on multiple jackets and pants I purchased what I call "convertible" mesh gear. Gear that has zip off panels that expose large mesh areas.

I'm running with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and Fieldsheer overpants (love them both). Here in Cincy they go as cold as I want to commute in and up to 90 degrees. Other manufacturers offer similar options.

Perferated leather will offer superior protection but does not flow nearly as well. I've gotten uncomfortable in my fully perferated leather jacket (upper 80's).

Due your research and choose something you like and fits!

Riding pants suck. They're too hard to wear.

Sometimes I do things like use my motorcycle for transportation in the place of a car. I know it sounds crazy, but it works. Donning a helmet is duh - five seconds on, three seconds off. Perf'd leather jacket, a moment to put it on, and less than a moment to take it off. Full gauntlet gloves - same. Alpinestars SMX5's are the shit. I can't go back to wearing non-MC boots because of the awesomeness of that light shank in the sole of them that makes putting your entire bodyweight on two pegs the width of your thumb seem notretarded. I need to find a pair of boots that provides good enough protection but much better aesthetics someday. And I toss the back protector on when I don't have to worry about wrinkling my shirt. Putting on a pair of overpants takes more time than equipping helmet, boots, back protector, jacket, gloves. I'm expected to not look like a dumbass at work, so it's not acceptable to walk into my building wearing leather pants.

How hard is it to just step into a pair of overpants and zip them up? Takes me about 30 seconds.

I admit it's the part of ATGATT I like wearing the least, but nothing short of abrasian-resistent, armored leg protection is any better than riding in your underoos. Jeans will tear away like they're not there, and won't stop the fall either. One of the driving forces of me both taking 20 years off of bikes and coming back to it vowing never to ride nekkid again is the memory of my legs being scrubbed in the ER.

That sucks, and is harder than putting some mesh pants over your work pants.

I always wore gloves, helmet, boots and leather jacket. I also always wore Dickies or Khaki pants so that was me slacking. I never bought a good pair of riding pants and one of my knees suffered once.

Get a perforated, thin leather jacket. My gloves went down further than my wrist so I'd unzip my jacket a the wrists for better airflow. A pair of jean riding pants with knee pads will serve you well too.

Any more on the guy on the yellow scooter? Those DOT piss pots are useless.

ROFL!!! Who cares? That guy was an idiot.

Look at me! I'm gonna jump a scooter on my huge arse, kill the suspension and fall on my face when it rebounds screaming "GTFO." Oh, and all the while, I'll just wear a dinky helmet that only protects the top of my head!

ROFL!!! Who cares? That guy was an idiot.

Look at me! I'm gonna jump a scooter on my huge arse, kill the suspension and fall on my face when it rebounds screaming "GTFO." Oh, and all the while, I'll just wear a dinky helmet that only protects the top of my head!

I CARE!!!

(I want to see what his face looks like with no teeth. Or skin. Or sinuses.)

The better ones are Kevlar mesh or a better abrasian-resistent material than polyester. Motoport makes a very good one, Rev-It too. Not cheap, but neither is an ER run and road-rash scrub.

I owned a JR Phoenix and a First Gear Torrent, but both leave a lot to be desired for crash protection. The Phoenix melted BAD on a gravel road slide on my elbow and shoulder, came right through the padding too...wouldn't trust that jacket at all on the pavement, but I suppose it's better than a T-shirt. Maybe.

I'm looking for a mesh riding jacket. I'm a bit wary though because I crashed in a JR Reactor once and it wasn't much protection - same story as Swingset above - the mesh melted away and shredded resulting in messy abrasions. Most online reviews of riding gear don't seriously address the purpose of the gear at all.... (I.e. How can you recommend a riding jacket that you never crashed in or stress tested in some way? Crash protection is it's only real purpose.)

I have read some good reviews of Rev-it gear in terms of quality and armor, but haven't found crash tests. Has anyone got any hard earned recommendations?

Edited by bambam
Detail

I'm looking for a mesh riding jacket. I'm a bit wary though because I crashed in a JR Reactor once and it wasn't much protection - same story as Swingset above - the mesh melted away and shredded resulting in messy abrasions. Most online reviews of riding gear don't seriously address the purpose of the gear at all.... (I.e. How can you recommend a riding jacket that you never crashed in or stress tested in some way? Crash protection is it's only real purpose.)

I have read some good reviews of Rev-it gear in terms of quality and armor, but haven't found crash tests. Has anyone got any hard earned recommendations?

I went down at the track in my agv 2piece leather suit at a pretty good speed. It was a lowside. I got up with no injuries, luckily. I'm a firm believer in wearing the leathers I don't really trust the mesh.