Frame Sliders

Jst2fst

In all fairness crashing is not predictable and sometimes sliders can help and sometimes they can cause more damage. I have removed all frame sliders from my race bike,but the street bike has them.

you ever get that price?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, that may differ from others and may be worth less:

I have no-cuts on my 07 600rr. They could definitely save some valuable plastic street bits in a stationary or low speed fall. My bike free-fell from nearly vertical in my garage and the handlebar didn't even hit the ground, it was propped up between the slider and the Vortex (solid mount) peg. Although I have no issues with cutting my race plastics, I still choose the no-cuts, because I don't think putting the bending moment on an extra-long motor mount bolt is a good idea, as Brian alluded to. I have heard of no-cuts cracking engine cases, but it's sort of model-specific depending on the strength of the area behind the slider location (unfortunately for Cooter I seem to recall this being a problem on one of the generations of 1000rr). As far as flipping the bike in the grass, it is definitely possible, but I think it would be a fine line between generating enough moment to make a difference and the chinese aluminum these things are made of breaking free. I went down in soft grass with the bike neither flipping nor the slider breaking off, although the stock peg did significantly influence the course of the bike before it broke off. Even if the slider does break off, hopefully it has absorbed a significant amount of an initial on-track impact in the process, and not directed a more signifcant amount into the engine case behind it.

If something happens to make me eat my words, I'll be sure to update you guys. In the meantime I have two sets of these in my basement for spares, and one will be going on my streetbike when I get it back together.

In all fairness crashing is not predictable and sometimes sliders can help and sometimes they can cause more damage. I have removed all frame sliders from my race bike,but the street bike has them.

the ass(fault)man has a very valid point. Sliders are meant to cover most "popular" crashes, like a low-speed lowside slide or a zero-speed drop. You crash while kicking it sideways at 140 (or a $1.85, as the cool kids are doing it nowadays) and all bets are off.

the ass(fault)man has a very valid point. Sliders are meant to cover most "popular" crashes, like a low-speed lowside slide or a zero-speed drop. You crash while kicking it sideways at 140 (or a $1.85, as the cool kids are doing it nowadays) and all bets are off.

Stripped an engine bolt at about 75 mph and a low side and it slid off the track into the grass. Caught, pulled back on the slider and pulled the bolt enough to strip the threads. Was still in there, was bent and a BEOTCH to remove being bent and when we needed to replace, we had a tough time getting the hole repaired to allow for the OEM engine bolt to go back in.

Also crashed in the wet at Mid-Ohio coming onto the front straight and the bike hit the (at that time) high curbing and caught the slider. Ripped the slider back as described before and put the bike up in the air enough to have it come down nose first and flip. Ripped the fairings off and bent a bunch of stuff.

You can say that "popular", but the fact is that if the bike goes off pavement at any speed that is fast enough to cause it to travel far into the off road section, it is in serious danger of causing more harm than good.

Again, street crash and it comes to rest in the dirt? Fine. The idea is that the pavement is what they are designed for. But, the pavement isn't always going to be there when you crash - on track or on the street...

Like I said, it used to be that every racer in the paddock used sliders. Now, you RARELY ever see them. Under fairing ones are popular, but most common are none at all. Think about that...

What's the concensus with track use of Militant Moto's Barrier Bars? I've been eyeballin' a pair for my bike since there's 2 mounting points for each side instead of just one -- but the ZX14 is prone to engine case damage with standard sliders

Ok, so then from what I'm reading frame slider are bad for track but good on the street but they can also cause the frame to bend and strip bolt holes. So am I just better of by not having them then or is it personal preference....

Ok, so then from what I'm reading frame slider are bad for track but good on the street but they can also cause the frame to bend and strip bolt holes. So am I just better of by not having them then or is it personal preference....

They are good for anything that stays on pavement. If it gets off on to the grass or earth, the risk increases for damage. Street or track. BUT, street is unlikely to be tossed into the grass at a high velocity like the track crashes that happen... Plus, if the off track/street is rough and bumpy, it doesn't make much difference in overall damage, but that roughness will increase the slider damage to the motor, frame, mount holes, etc a BUNCH...

Again, it is personal and I have only given you what we experience. Again, it used to be a big thing and as stuff kept getting damaged, it was cheaper to replace bodywork vs a wallowed out and destroyed engine mount hole...

Do what you feel best with. One thing I always tell everyone is that if it gives you peace of mind? Do it!

I dont think most guys here would want the underfairing frame sliders since most people here want to save their fairings incase of a drop on the streets. Most track guys could give two shits about the fairings as long as the bike structural integrity is ok. Spiegler has some pretty cool LSL frame sliders. Top notch company IMO.

I dont think most guys here would want the underfairing frame sliders since most people here want to save their fairings incase of a drop on the streets. Most track guys could give two shits about the fairings as long as the bike structural integrity is ok. Spiegler has some pretty cool LSL frame sliders. Top notch company IMO.

That's not true at all. It's a matter of bigger loss. Fairings or engine cases? Exhaust canister or wallowed frame hole?

Under fairing sliders are the shit. The will protect what regular sliders are designed or thought to protect, but not have the negatives like we discussed...

That's not true at all. It's a matter of bigger loss. Fairings or engine cases? Exhaust canister or wallowed frame hole?

Under fairing sliders are the shit. The will protect what regular sliders are designed or thought to protect, but not have the negatives like we discussed...

That's what I was trying to elude too with the structural integrity comment.

Do they make them for any other bikes though besides ducati's? What brand makes them btw?