2006 Ninja 650 - Very well maintained, and loved unconditionally.

RSparky

My 650 is an in-line twin. It has low-end grunt, and a power band from 7k-9k. High torque, but not much horsepower when you rev it out.

600's are in-line 4 cylinders. They're whiny and bitchy sounding, but... The more you twist it, the more horsepower you get. Plus, what I'm expecting to upgrade to, is a super-sport, so the suspension will be an upgrade.

My 650 is more like a sport tourer. Looks sporty, but the bars, seat, rearsets, motor, ang drive are all optimized for touring. I will certainly miss that, as a commuter, but nothing fills all role perfectly. If I could stick an in-line four in her frame, I just might. Then, slowly upgrade the suspension bits as I see fit. But I can't.

The real downer about switching to an SS though, will be insurance. I paid $83 for the year for her...

If you are using your bike on the street 90% of the time I HIGHLY suggest you hang onto the 650. Unless you plan to track a 600, I think you will be disappointed in the long run. After riding a 650 on street, you will feel like the 600 is boring and really uncomfortable when ridden anywhere near legal speeds. Yes, a SS has a better suspension but if you do emulators in the forks, the suspension works for fine for the twisties. I had no problem keeping up with most of these SS guys in the twisties back before I got injured.

I too was in your same shoes at one time. I wanted the SS because they were "cooler" and had major power when you wring them out...and that is exactly why they pay a premium for insurance because that shit too addicting to control on the streets. I rode a few SS bikes (600RR & ZX6R) and was happy to go back to the torque of the 650 at the end of the day. In the end it's your call but I reaaally think you should spend some time on a SS before making a quick decision like I almost did.

Bkizz, I don't know you were in ohio. I read about your misfortune on riderforums. Tons of respect man. I've been debating with myself over that for the year I've had it, and I do know I'll miss it. That said, though, it's not the bike I'm wanting. I may be assuming an ss is, which may be wrong, so I just might try to ride somebody else's. Good call on that.

My kill, I know its too high. But it's a craigslist price lol. Got an offer this morning for 700 less.

I need to update my listing, because I took the mods off. I might lower it then.

i'd like to get 4k, but 3900 is doable, depending on what else one wants.. i'll leave on the head and taillights. it'll have the grips and levers on too. sportbars could stay for $4k... and like i said, it'll have service manual, and i have digital copies of both.

also, i forgot it has a battery tender hook up already on there.

i really don't want to lose any more on it, because the original intent was to take that money and get something else... ima have to save up more to get anything worthwhile. selling my mods can supplement it, though i guess.

My kill, I know its too high. But it's a craigslist price lol. Got an offer this morning for 700 less.

Id take it. That gives you 3800 toward you SS. You'll be able to get a nice bike for that. Anyways GLWS, a 650r is on my short list for my next bike.

• 2 weeks later...