Bulletproof glass question

Bad324

It hits the window, throws off some sparks, makes a whizzing sound and leaves a crack mark.

Same concept as the General Lee's tires squealing sounds made on dirt roads.

Ok I'm watching a movie and for some reason this really bugs me...

What happens to a bullet or how does it react when it is shot at bulletproof glass?

Certainly depends on your bullet and velocity, but here's a video with a pistol round:

"bulletproof" glass around 1:50 mark

The projectile deforms and transfers/disperses it's energy through the layered glass and plastics. Pretty neat stuff. I believe 4 inch thick lezan is considered "bulletproof" but IDK up to what caliber or # of hits.

I spent alot of time driving/in armored vehicles, military and other gubment agencies.

I miss them dayz.

I only ask because in this movie this broad took a pistol and just unloaded the magazine with the gun 6" from the glass and her face about 2ft from it and was shooting it straight on. Then unloaded a machine gun of some sort, again straight on.

This led me to think what would happen in real life if someone were to do that

I just wanna say how much of an idiot that guy isfor sitting there and shooting bullet proof glass with no protection.

+1000000, all that lead and energy has to go SOMEWHERE, and I certainly wouldn't risk it going into myself like he did!

I only ask because in this movie this broad took a pistol and just unloaded the magazine with the gun 6" from the glass and her face about 2ft from it and was shooting it straight on. Then unloaded a machine gun of some sort, again straight on.

This led me to think what would happen in real life if someone were to do that

Let me guess.. SALT.

Truthfully in my experiences and knowledge it trully depends on what bullet you are firing but in that movie, from what I know she would have never left that room unless it was in a rubber bag.

6" from a window and a low powered round like that, they are not going to stick. They are going somewhere and that was a small room.

Low powered as in handgun, and not a rifle with a trully supersonic round. Then you can get into armor piercing and then cold brass lathe turned solid rounds meant to do one thing only and that is to tear something off at a long long distance. At a short distance, say 100 -300 yards. I seriously do not want to be the guy sitting behind the glass as its being tested.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

This^.

Different manufacturers make different variations of bullet-resistant glass, but it is basically made by layering a polycarbonate material between pieces of ordinary glass in a process called lamination. This process creates a glass-like material that is thicker than normal glass. Polycarbonate is a tough transparent plastic -- often known by the brand name Lexan, Tuffak or Cyrolon. Bullet-resistant glass is between 7 millimeters and 75 millimeters in thickness. A bullet fired at a sheet of bullet-resistant glass will pierce the outside layer of the glass, but the layered polycarbonate-glass material is able to absorb the bullet's energy and stop it before it exits the final layer.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fscience.howstuffworks.com%2Fquestion476.htm&rct=j&q=how%20is%20bullet%20proof%20glass%20made&ei=EYTRTa3XE6jM0AGK78CaDg&usg=AFQjCNGMoFX6OxRmMUhMRreA7LKjq4gQNQ

lathe turned solid rounds meant to do one thing only and that is to tear something off at a long long distance. At a short distance, say 100 -300 yards. I seriously do not want to be the guy sitting behind the glass as its being tested.

hmmmm Lathe Turned solids.. yummy.. oh yeah.. I have some coming later this summer. :)

Fragments in a way called "spalling" (if it works).

Like hitting proper armor on a tank.

Here's 50cal, 308 and 30-06 on bullet resistant glass. Punches right through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fCZvOHd5dg&feature=related

And at the end of this one, large caliber handgun bullet just flattens and vaporizes when it hits. slow motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1PG_JhkWM

whatdeheck... there were like 10 posts before I could get mine in... geez...

Edited by ReconRat