Another Battery Thread

Bad324

I did a search but somehow I rarely come up with the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to break down and buy a new battery for the VFR before I head to Deals Gap in a few weeks. I'm 90% sure the battery is my issue but I still need to get a voltmeter on it and test it first.

Anyway, I came across this battery from batteries plus but curious if anyone has any experience with it. There is also a $15 off coupon and a store right down the street from where I play softball so it'd be cheap and convenient but if its a shit battery then I'd rather go with option 2

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/33722-XTAZ12S-Xtreme-Permaseal-Battery/558-CC/4419-Motorcycle-Batteries/638925-Honda/VFR800A-Interceptor/800CC-2002-to-2010.aspx

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-trugel-battery-mgz12s?mg=7487&t=1&td=1

Jesus that's expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMSWX8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003YMRH70&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1T6RE1TBPYHXYP4P34FR

That's what I'd recommend. Unless you really wanna be baller and get an LiPO4 battery.

Edited by JRMMiii

Brian;

THe one ou have listed from Batteries Plus is the same one I have in my R1. I bnought as a replacement when OEM one died. A replacement from the dealer was close to $200. The local Batt+ store had a replacement in stock for $75.

I haven't had any problems with mine for over 2 years. But I use a battery tender religiously now if I know I won't be firing her up within a week.

AGM batteries do not need a battery tender. they can sit for over a year without a charge.

that's what makes them better than lead acid batteries.

you could get the scorpion battery they sell probably $20 less. a lot of guys on other forum's have them and seem to have good luck with them.

+1 for batteries plus, I purchased one of the $75 batteries two years a go. It took a shit in the fall before i got a chance to put it on a trickle charger, figure i was sol and went into batteries plus this spring to buy a new one. It did not say it on the packaging but the battery had a 1 year warranty. I was a couple days past the 1 year mark but they said it was close enough and handed me a new one off the shelf.

Yeah, forget gel, it's old tech and didn't really make it as new technology, before the AGM (Absorbant Gas Mat) batteries were offered.

So, two choices, buy lead-acid and replace almost every year. Cheap.

Or get AGM which isn't hurt by vibration from a motorcycle. Expensive.

Its not that AGM batteries don't need charged, its the fact that they are better at deep cycling and are not damaged ( sulfated ) by draining them.

Actually AGM batteries do need charged manually from time to time but its important to use a trickle charger and not charge them too fast which will damage them.

AGM batteries are usually heavier than standard batteries and have about 2 times the standard life of a normal battery. Also for some reason its easier to pull cold cranking amps out of them, they usually have a monster rating.

I work for a luxury car manufacturer and we are starting to put AGM into more and more of our veh ciles because they are power hungry pigs.

It really comes down to how you care for your battery. If you use a trickle charger, check the levels, don't let it run out of charge, etc etc etc. You can get 2-5 years out of a battery.

More expensive in some instances does mean better quality (Yuasa batteries for example) but only if you take care of them.

This doesn't really answer your question I guess, but if you're going to thrash your battery and not take proper care of it:

Why waste money?

Its not that AGM batteries don't need charged, its the fact that they are better at deep cycling and are not damaged ( sulfated ) by draining them.

Actually AGM batteries do need charged manually from time to time but its important to use a trickle charger and not charge them too fast which will damage them.

AGM batteries are usually heavier than standard batteries and have about 2 times the standard life of a normal battery. Also for some reason its easier to pull cold cranking amps out of them, they usually have a monster rating.

I work for a luxury car manufacturer and we are starting to put AGM into more and more of our veh ciles because they are power hungry pigs.

agm has a very low self discharge rate. (15 months compared to only almost 6 of a lead acid)

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.php#anchormf

Don't buy this, but wow. Here's the future of batteries?

http://www.skyrichbattery.com/product_info.php?cPath=10&products_id=559&language=1

hjtz10s-fp.gif

lithium batteries suck in the cold temps. which doesn't make them desirable for use in colder climates.

It really comes down to how you care for your battery. If you use a trickle charger, check the levels, don't let it run out of charge, etc etc etc. You can get 2-5 years out of a battery.

More expensive in some instances does mean better quality (Yuasa batteries for example) but only if you take care of them.

This doesn't really answer your question I guess, but if you're going to thrash your battery and not take proper care of it:

Why waste money?

I don't know what guys do to kill batteries so fast but they should be getting at least 4+ years from a battery if they don't keep draining it with lights or an alarm etc.

I never put mine on a charger (never have) or a tender and it's the original battery with a build date of sept 2002 on it.

one more thing for everyone,

if you store your battery indoors for the winter you need to charge it 2 times a month.

and if you store it in temps below 60 you only have to charge it once a month. (cold preserves a battery charge)

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/maintenance.php

Edited by serpentracer