Mustang collectables

redkow97

My grandfather worked for Ford for many years, and my uncle recently shared some pics of him with the original Mustang prototype.

(this)

800px-Ford_Mustang_I_Concept_car-500x333.jpg

(NOT this)

65MustangLeftSide-742952.JPG

I guess they were on some kind of press tour with the open-top rear-engine V4 car. My grandfather worked in PR & Marketing.

In any case, I believe there were only two of the prototype made. I'm told one was destroyed, and the other is in the Henry Ford Museum (I've seen it there, and that's where it is in the picture I posted).

To cut to the chase, I am now in possession of an original "Mustang" assembly-line jump-suit with my grandfather's name embroidered on the chest. I'm sure these weren't all that rare in the 60's, because every line worker had one (or probably 5). What I think makes mine unique is the fact that it was only used in photo-shoots, so it's in immaculate condition.

My question for you guys is, how do I preserve it, and what do I do with it? I've had it hanging in a garment bag in my closet for a few years now, and the pictures just reminded me it was there... I have no intention of selling it, but I'm considering loaning it to the Henry Ford Museum, if they even have any interest in it...

thoughts? would this really be worth a lot of money? Part of me doesn't want to find out that it's valuable so I'm not even tempted to sell it...

My question for you guys is, how do I preserve it, and what do I do with it? I've had it hanging in a garment bag in my closet for a few years now, and the pictures just reminded me it was there... I have no intention of selling it, but I'm considering loaning it to the Henry Ford Museum, if they even have any interest in it...

thoughts? would this really be worth a lot of money? Part of me doesn't want to find out that it's valuable so I'm not even tempted to sell it...

What is the garment bag made out of? It actually could be worse for the garment than hanging in a closet to the open air

Go directly to a drycleaner and have them preserve it like they would a wedding dress but don't let them charge you the same price because that would be way way simpler to preserve than a dress

it's fire retardant material and probably gives the wearer cancer, but ya, I think some kind of vacuum storage would be ideal.

If I put it in the museum, I would loan it to them initially. IF i were to sell it though, I would want to make sure it went some place it would be displayed.

The dry cleaner is a good call. They frequently do wedding dress preservation work. Columbus Lace does commercial class work (theater curtains, stuff like that) so they might also do something along the lines of curator-class preservation or could point you in the right direction.

it's fire retardant material and probably gives the wearer cancer, but ya, I think some kind of vacuum storage would be ideal.

If I put it in the museum, I would loan it to them initially. IF i were to sell it though, I would want to make sure it went some place it would be displayed.

if preserving it in a box like a wedding dress is something you want to do, I can call my old manager in Cinci and see if they can hook you up and I can handle getting it there and back whenever I plan to go down again