New Bike Recommendations. ideas...

accel_is_my_drug

I made the terrible mistake of selling my 97 VFR750 a few months ago. (I think to a guy on this board... and if you are, I hope you are treating her well and putting tons of miles on her like she deserves!)

Anyways, I have the opportunity to find another bike, and not sure what I can/should get. This will probably be my last opportunity for a bike until the kids head off to college, in 18 years, so it needs to last.

I loved my VFR, but always wished it had a little bit more power, just a hair more sporty, and fuel injection. I know the obvious choice would be a slightly newer VFR800, maybe a 2001. But what else is out there? I think an SV1000 is appealing, but have not spent that much time on one...

Mostly I used my old bike for commuting, about 40 miles each way, and the odd day trip to the triple nickel or hocking hills or stuff like that.

I want my new ride to be as capable and comfortable as my old ride. Are there any alternatives to the VFR? Anything I should be looking for?

If possible, I want to keep my budget to $5500.00.

What is out there?

A busa my be a little on the obese side for me.. also, I double dog dare you to find one for under $6K.

I'll start looking into the sprints...

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/2345870528.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2396508711.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/2392330496.html

I'm winning :D

Busa's with swing arm extensions and chrome wheels are not really my style, kudos for finding a bunch on CL though. I would like to be able to commute on this bike, or a title-less trackday bike, although cool, is not much of an option either.....

Busa's with swing arm extensions and chrome wheels are not really my style, kudos for finding a bunch on CL though. I would like to be able to commute on this bike, or a title-less trackday bike, although cool, is not much of an option either.....

you double dog dared us...I had to jump in and show its possible to find. FTR, I don't like em either but I saw your comment and thought challenge accepted! :lol:

Not all busa have that kind of set up check out our sponsors

I think you hit the nail on the head in the OP... sv1000 meets all your criteria.

-Low mileage one can be had for < $5500

-Sportier than a VFR, but not a full on sportbike

-Fuel injected

-Enough power to have fun on and still keep up with some of the late model 600s

-Suspension is adjustable and good enough to let you carve the SE Ohio roads without worry.

I'm a little bias because I have one and have put some seat time on it during some spirited rides, and it's fine... better handling than the Hayabusa obviously, but I've never been on a proper 1k or 600cc sportbike. I never could quite catch UP on his ZX6R -- but who can?

A CBR1100xx,,, Never thought about the blackbird, time to do some research.....

Are these, size-wise, a big bike like the busa or ZX14?

Will they handle better than the VFR?

What sort of recalls or reliability issues does the SV1000 have? Any owners like to share some info?

Maybe I just need to spend more time looking for a 2001 VFR800. FI, and the cams are still gear driven.. save extra cash for suspension upgrades....

A CBR1100xx,,, Never thought about the blackbird, time to do some research.....

Are these, size-wise, a big bike like the busa or ZX14?

Will they handle better than the VFR?

What sort of recalls or reliability issues does the SV1000 have? Any owners like to share some info?

Maybe I just need to spend more time looking for a 2001 VFR800. FI, and the cams are still gear driven.. save extra cash for suspension upgrades....

Handle better than a VFR? Probably not, definitely not if you were to upgrade the VFR suspension

Also if you end up with an 01, I'm not sure if those have the same electrical gremlins the 02-05's do but I'd save some bucks to upgrade a few electrical components as well

If I'm right the 2001 is the last year for gear driven cams, 800ccs (783cc) and no VTEC.

Seems like the perfect year... 2002 was the introduction of VTEC. As for the rectifiers taht burn up, I may still have a spare for my last VFR in the garage....

I'm starting to wonder how terrible a set on risers on a real sport bike would be for longer rides....

If I'm right the 2001 is the last year for gear driven cams, 800ccs (783cc) and no VTEC.

Seems like the perfect year... 2002 was the introduction of VTEC. As for the rectifiers taht burn up, I may still have a spare for my last VFR in the garage...

yup, you'd be right. I'm not very mechanical so the difference in the cam drive didn't bother me and the VTEC took some getting used to but with a PCIII on the way it should take care of that with ease. I picked up my 06 last year right around your price range and so far its been the best bike buy I've made