Aprilia RS4

RSVDon

can someone enlighten me on what its for? is it just a low cc street bike, like a beginners bike, or is it meant for small cc racing class? ive only heard of 125s on the track, and i thought they were young kid bikes (like the moto2 stuff with 12yrs old)....never seen one on the street...its a neat bike, just not sure what its intended purpose is?

Edited by Steve Butters

can someone enlighten me on what its for? is it just a low cc street bike, like a beginners bike, or is it meant for small cc racing class? ive only heard of 125s on the track, and i thought they were young kid bikes (like the moto2 stuff with 12yrs old)....never seen one on the street...its a neat bike, just not sure what its intended purpose is?

Europe.

A 125cc is the largest bike anyone under 18 yo can buy in Europe. Usually with the restriction of no more than 15 crank HP. So that's what Aprilia did. Took their RSV4 styling, placed it on a featherweight chassis, and gave it a 15 HP 4-stroke motor.

The old bikes were 125cc 2-strokes, but they made way more than 15 HP and kinda defeated the purpose of the market they were going for.

Isn't the RS4 what Megan fox rode in Transformers 2?

That was the old RS125. IMO, still the sexier of the two, faster, and a 2-smoke which means instantly cooler. But, didn't really fit the requirements of the demographic that would ride it. Aprilia brought these over to the US as a "track-only" bike for $5k a few years back.

Aprilia-RS125-7.jpg

Europe.

A 125cc is the largest bike anyone under 18 yo can buy in Europe. Usually with the restriction of no more than 15 crank HP. So that's what Aprilia did. Took their RSV4 styling, placed it on a featherweight chassis, and gave it a 15 HP 4-stroke motor.

The old bikes were 125cc 2-strokes, but they made way more than 15 HP and kinda defeated the purpose of the market they were going for.

is there a large market for people under 18 in europe? i know here its rare to see someone under 18 on the street

is there a large market for people under 18 in europe? i know here its rare to see someone under 18 on the street

Yes, definitely.

I don't know how recent this is, but an example of the "stepped" system.

At the moment, the European Union (more popularly known as “Brussels”) has been trying to make rules and regulations which should be able to be applied in all the Union’s countries. Unfortunately, the countries are free, to some degree, to apply these rules. This means that in the case of motorcycling all rules are either not enforced or not applied, depending on the country.

An example of the above is the so-called stepped licensing scheme, which allows 16 year olds to ride a bike with a maximum capacity of 125cc. Or if between 18 and 21 years old, a bike with a maximum power output of 25kW (35 hp; see the list) or with a maximum power to weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg (0.1 HP/lb). These people are required to ride with the restricted license for a minimum of two years before they can apply for a “full” license, this means that if you got your motorcycle license on your 18th birthday, you can upgrade on your 20th. Alternatively, if you get your license a day before your 21st birthday, you can only upgrade on your 23rd. Older “adults” (We’re all children at heart aren’t we? :-)) who only have a car license are allowed to commute on a 125cc motorcycle in some countries.

People with a “full” license or above 21 years of age can get a full-power bike.

Edited by RSVDon