New Social Group- Ohio Shadow Riders

Artmageddon

Wheezle750 and I were talking about riding and it came up that it would be nice to get a group of Shadow owners together for rides and to talk shop.

I figured this would be a good way to try to organize something.

So if you own a Honda Shadow(any model), join up!

If you don't have a Shadow and just want to fit in with the cool kids, feel free to join as well.

:honda::cruiser:

Removing your baffles is the easiest and cheapest way to make your bike louder. Another cheap option is to cut the mufflers off or un-bolt them and put some slip-ons on or exaust ends. Do a search on Shadowriders.net, you can find a lot of useful info there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I'm new here-- I have a '99 Shadow ACE 1100. I live on the east side (Reynoldsburg) and I'm always looking for cool folks to ride with. Or someone who can tell me what this bizarre noise is. Oh well.

Sounds like a plan. Given that I live less than 2 miles from the wings n rings place on Broad (I think I saw that people were trying to put a bike night together there) I don't have a very good excuse for not showing up there.

It's the most bizarre high-pitched chirping noise. Kind of sounds like the "belt squeak" you get in cars sometimes. Only heard at mid-high rpms, only when the engine's warm. Matches in frequency with the engine's vibrations, but bumps can make it pause. It occurs regardless of what gear it's in and in neutral.

Engine performance (acceleration, throttle response, idle, etc) appears to be unaffected.

At one point we were able to make it stop by prying out on the lower pipe with a screwdriver, but couldn't find any good reason for this. We were also able to change the noise by grabbing various sections of the engine and pipes with a towel while it was running. This led me to think it was a vibration-related noise, so I set about torquing every damned bolt/ nut I could find. Changed the exhaust gaskets too, for good measure. Still had the noise. Hoping to make the problem magically solve itself, I changed the pipes, and the noise is still there.

So, at this point, my plan is this: If I can't find anyone who knows what the noise is, I'm just going to ride it till whatever's causing the noise breaks, and then I'll know what to fix.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Just an update because I'm excited-- I found the fuggin noise! A little brass bushing setup under/behind the swing arm. It appears to have been designed to help alleviate extra vibration in the end of the lower exhaust. Anyway, a buddy and I spent several hours pulling off parts while poking the bike with a screwdriver-- when the driver hit that bushing, the noise stopped!

Pulled it off, and it was rusted and squeaky (there's a little part that is supposed to rotate a bit). Large amounts of PB Blaster, some sandpaper, and a huge nasty blob of axle grease, and the part's back on and the noise is gone!

Like I said, I'm just excited, this noise has been progressively getting worse for like 6 months, and I couldn't fix it.

I'm going riding now. Yay :D

Yep, the repair was a success, had a decent ride today. Anyone wants to go wander around in the evening this week (I'm out of class at like 6 every day) just let me know, otherwise I'll try to actually meet some people at the BWR thing this time on Thurs. That is every week, right?