the Brew House Pub

Fonzie

Place for general conversation & camaraderie. This is also the original 30+ posts, before Ben upgraded the social pages, allowing for each to break into multiple threads, similar to the main board

Post about Leiny's Fireside Nut Brown, that started the thread that ultimately led to me starting this page.......

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=17751

I've never been into, or even understood the whole fru fru beer/microbrewery craze. More of a Coors Lite kinda guy. To me......Beer's beer, and all those niche' ones were for the same stuck up snob yuppie wannabes who order $5 coffees at Starbucks. As George Carlin said......The more complicated the coffee order, the bigger the asshole!! :D

That being said.......When I went over to PA/NY 2 months ago for the big XX meat, the guys "persuaded" me to drink copius amounts of the local favorite, Yuengling. ;) Pretty good stuff. Went out with another friend last month, and decided to have a Sam Adams Octoberfest with him when he ordered one. Pretty good as well. In fact, went to buy some for the house a few days later, and that stuff must be like QVC......When it's gone, it's GONE!! :eek: There was still a week left in October, and the couple 6 packs I'd seen a few days earlier when I decided to try Cherry Wheat & Harvest Moon instead, were vanished by the time I went back.

So I've tried some others since then. Sam Adams Cream Stout....Kinda strong/bitter. Didn't taste the carmel & stuff like they claimed. Did really like the Cherry Wheat though. The Harvest Moon was OK as well. Budweiser American Ale was OK, but I kept having this suspicion while I was drinking it, that if I had a regular 'ol Bud alongside it......I may not be able to tell the difference ;) Had an Amber Bock & local microbrew the barmaid said was "tastetastic & her favorite" with a rasberry taste, up at Myle's Pizza in Bowling Green last weekend. The Bock was pretty good. Rasberry......Not so much :nono:

Anyways......Went to the store tonight with the intention of finally trying Sam Adams Winter Ale, that I keep putting off for others that catch my eye when I get to the beer aisle. Well....Guess what? The Leinenkugel's caught my eye this time. Kept debating, but decided I see the Winter Ale everywhere, so I'd give the 'Kugel "Winter Seasonal" the nod this time

Glad I did.....Me LIKEY!! :D Very smooth, and has kind of a hazlenut aftertaste to it, which may sound kind of crazy in a beer.....but I dig it

So there 'ya go. My $.02 & ramblings about my recent forays into the top shelf beer culture. I guess I'm one of "those assholes" now. Oh wait.....Some people think I always have been!! :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you join.....Do everyone a favor & list your top 3 or 5 favorites. You may have something the rest of us haven't found/tried yet

Like I said.....I'm a newby, but here's mine so far:

1) Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown

2) Great Lakes' Christmas Ale (tried it last week when the DTC crashed Buddy's :D)

3) Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat

4) Sam Adams' Oktoberfest

5) Shiner Bock

Roadtrip!! dancingnaughty.gif

http://www.greatlakesbrewfest.net/

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/communityBreweryTours.php

http://cleveland.about.com/od/westsiderestaurants/p/greatlakesbrew.htm

Also......got this message from a friend on my XX board, who lives up by Ann Arbor. Think he may be twisting my arm to come up & visit. ;) Hell.....Maybe we'll turn this into a DTC function & grab a room for the night!! :)

Hey Russ, if you want to sample some good beers, come up and visit me. Every July there is a beer fest from the Michigan Brewers Guild.

Here is a link to their site from this years past festival. It is a good time. Ride up, drink beer, hang out. Ride the next day and head home.

Was just at the store, and think I found the beer I'm gonna try for St. Patty's day......Great Lakes' Conway's Irish Ale :D Been wanting to try their Edmund Fitzgerald for awhile now too

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerProfile.php?beer_id=00000006

Anybody else got a Paddy's Day favorite, aside from Killians's ;)

Nothing extraordinary I know.....but tried a Shiner Bock with dinner the other night. VERY good beer. Didn't have any flavors to it that I could detect, but really liked the taste of it. Went down very smooth

BTW....If I have to see another of those stupid Budweiser "Drinkability" commercials....I think I'm gonna hurl!! :nono:

Anyone Have Dead Guy Ale from Rouge Brewery? It's been my new thing the last few trips to the beer place up the street. It's good going down (I've known a few women like that too...) and it's got a kind of sharp after taste thats almost citrus like (...see above).

In case you didn't see mine down below......Thought it'd be cool if everyone listed their top 3-5 favorites. You may have something the rest of us haven't found/tried yet

Some others I've tried over the last month or 2.......Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Pretty good, but bit of a funny aftertaste to me. Bitter maybe?? Tried Leiny's Oktoberfest.....Pretty good as well. Nothing noteworthy. Their Creamy Dark was OK too, especially since I'm not usually a dark guy. As a matter of fact....Drinking one as I type this ;)

Case in point....Guiness. I've tried it several times over the years, and have never understood what all the fuss is about. I find it to be a very strong, bitter taste. Seems like you either LOVE Guiness or can't stand it.....Kinda like Hillary Clinton! :D

Speaking of which.....Sam Adam's Cream Stout, which I didn't really care for either, for the same basic reasons as Guiness. Gave a bottle to my neighbor though, who's a big Guiness fan.....And he loved it.

Lastly Sam Adam's Winter Lager. Finally got around to buying some back at Christmas. It was OK.... A bit strong. Not sure I'd buy it again, but wouldn't turn it down if offered to me

BTW......Funny pic add Jase ;)

So I was in that mostly Harley road house out East of Columbus with a pair of metric cruisers, and asked for a wheat beer (Hefeweizen), and got a definite "deer in headlights" look from the waitress. I had to quick ask for a Sam Adams, they had that... Burgers were good, fries nothing special...

Ok, I'm trying another Columbus Brewing "Ohio Honey Wheat Ale". I don't remember what they taste like. They don't taste like honey, wheat or much even an ale. More like a ... beer. But it does taste stronger than others, and the ale taste does come through. There are some hints of some flavors blended, but I can't pin it down. Overall a tasty brew, not a fancy like the Blue Moon. No bitter taste, just tasty. Dang, pretty good kick for a single bottle of beer.