Dynojet Ignition Module and Quickshifter Opinions

ohdaho

I may have found a pretty good deal on an ignition module and quickshifter for my 05 zx6r. $140 shipped.

But what exactly is everyone's opinion on this? Is it worth the gains? Is it a good deal.

Bike mods:

Jumper mod

full arrow exhaust

K&N air filter

May get a thinner race head gasket this season

Im slowly tracking my bike out. Next big purchase will probably be new forks/internals. The $140 sounded like a good deal, so Im curious if I should jump on it.

Thanks.

Fork internals and rear shock should be priority number1.

However, that being said, regarding the topic - if tracking this bike only, yes - go with a QS unit. You'll never understand why you ever were riding w/o one. If street riding, it is a complete waste of money...

I may have found a pretty good deal on an ignition module and quickshifter for my 05 zx6r. $140 shipped.

But what exactly is everyone's opinion on this? Is it worth the gains? Is it a good deal.

Bike mods:

Jumper mod

full arrow exhaust

K&N air filter

May get a thinner race head gasket this season

Im slowly tracking my bike out. Next big purchase will probably be new forks/internals. The $140 sounded like a good deal, so Im curious if I should jump on it.

Thanks.

Bazazz ftw!

Thanks for yalls opinions!

I definitely want to get my suspension set up, already have a penske rear shock installed...just waiting for a good deal on some forks/internals.

I happen to come across the IM/QS on kawiforums at a pretty cheap price and felt it was too good to pass up at the time. If I had the option of going with a Bazzaz set-up, I would have but bazazz didnt show any love for the 05-06 zx6r.

Looks like im getting some new toys by the end of the week. This hobby is getting addictive fast....and not cheap.

Edited by ohdaho

U use your quickshifter more than suspension ? :wtf:
wat. you mean all those bumps you don't use your suspension?

What I'm saying is:

If I want to do clutchless, on-throttle up shifts (which I do like to do :rolleyes:) the stock shifter is not capable of doing that, where the QS is.

If I want to go over a bump, the stock suspension was capable of the act of compressing and rebounding the forks, it does not require a full Ohlins setup to manage that.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but the QS is more of a discernible difference than upgraded suspension.

What I'm saying is:

If I want to do clutchless, on-throttle up shifts (which I do like to do :rolleyes:) the stock shifter is not capable of doing that, where the QS is.

If I want to go over a bump, the stock suspension was capable of the act of compressing and rebounding the forks, it does not require a full Ohlins setup to manage that.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but the QS is more of a discernible difference than upgraded suspension.

Whoa...

As for street, you are right on the suspension... Stock stuff is pretty damn good nowadays. QS is no different than putting anything else on your bike for street use - it is user preference and we shouldn't judge.

That being said, if you honestly think a QS ranks higher than aftermarket suspension components (Do both together - stock front and aftermarket rear is like buying 1 high performance tire for your Porsche and 3 skinny no name tires and hoping it all works out...), you are well off base. I mean that in the most friendly way possible, but at the track, more time will be dropped with better suspension than a QS or exhaust, etc... You can run faster on a stock bike with great suspension than the same bike with a bad ass exhaust, PC, QS, race tires, Supersport Engine build, trick and lightweight parts, etc and OEM/stock suspension...

Also, the idea on a QS is to gain that thousandths of a second on each up shift. You really need to be running full throttle and high RPMs to benefit. Otherwise, it is such a waste and better to put funds towards other more important things. Now, you track it at all (drag or road race) and you are totally cool not go and again, shouldn't judge. Just saying to the kids out there considering this bolt on piece, it isn't worth it for street use... Rather, never designed for street use...

Also, the idea on a QS is to gain that thousandths of a second on each up shift. You really need to be running full throttle and high RPMs to benefit. Otherwise, it is such a waste and better to put funds towards other more important things. Now, you track it at all (drag or road race) and you are totally cool not go and again, shouldn't judge. Just saying to the kids out there considering this bolt on piece, it isn't worth it for street use... Rather, never designed for street use...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of the quickshift to cut the spark for you for clutchless shifting? I'd say the fact of saving time wouldn't really be the point there, but making sure the engine isn't firing while you're shifting. Just my two cents.

Agreed. I guess I just feel I get more out of the shifter because I use it most of the time on the street. And the few times I do track days (~two a year), I am mid-pack novice and don't ride hard enough to actually take advantage the suspension upgrades (front and rear) that I have. I have them just because I want them and because I feel they are going to be a little more forgiving than stock if I were to "run out of talent".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of the quickshift to cut the spark for you for clutchless shifting? I'd say the fact of saving time wouldn't really be the point there, but making sure the engine isn't firing while you're shifting. Just my two cents.

fuel or spark depending, in this case spark yes. in theory, when you do clutchless upshifts old-school with quick off/on throttle it lessens the torque load on the engine allowing you to seamlessly shift into the next gear.

the qs just does the quick off/on throttle dealio super quick for you eliminating this area focus and allowing you to use that extra concentration elsewhere.

so the point is to gain that couple thousandths of a second that it takes you to roll off and back on the throttle (and the slight momentum loss from letting off) and allowing a computer to do it for you much quicker. the engine not firing is just a byproduct of the qs doing its job.

Edited by natedogg624

What I'm saying is:

i will agree to an extent that the qs is more noticeable than an upgraded suspension because it's immediate fun and "cool" that can be had. although i'll agree with brian more that suspension is a more worthwhile upgrade that takes off seconds from one's laptimes vs thousands of a second from qs use and should be a much higher priority than a qs.

however, at the price he's found it - it would be something i dont think i'd pass up even if suspension wasn't done yet.

You are correct as to how it works. But, for racing or track days and even drag racing, that minimal amount of grabbing and pulling in the lever is time added. You eliminate that with a QS. Just using your foot with wide open throttle is knocking off time (even though VERY minimal, but add that up each lap! ;)) each and every lap/pass...

Again, it is not designed for the street guy but rather a race application...

Bazazz ftw!

Since this thread was jacked long before I got here: Anybody got an extra Bazzaz "pull" switch lying around?

It'll be some time before I put my faith in this newfangled thingy. Before using it, I'm curious - how deliberate do you have to be with the shifts? If you're too gradual with the pressure can you miss the kill window, or does it trigger at a high enough load to guarantee an upshift?

Since this thread was jacked long before I got here: Anybody got an extra Bazzaz "pull" switch lying around?

It'll be some time before I put my faith in this newfangled thingy. Before using it, I'm curious - how deliberate do you have to be with the shifts? If you're too gradual with the pressure can you miss the kill window, or does it trigger at a high enough load to guarantee an upshift?

Bazaaz'a unit is awesome. Like the others, you can program how long the delay is. I am experimenting on the RC8R right now with a USB stand alone unit for possible catalog part entry. It has worked flawlessly. In fact, it works better than the KLS unit that comes with the bike as you have more ability to tune it in to your desired wants...