Skyline drive - Virginia

Jcarlson

So who has ridden Skyline Drive in Virginia? I taught wifey to ride and bought her a starter bike - 82 Suz GS450L. I think I created a monster when I taught her to ride - she loves it!! I'm tossing around the idea riding the Skyline in October.

Since she's still a newbie I thought the Skyline would be good for her. It's 105 miles and 35 mph - perfect for a beginner. She'd never make the 500 miles from Columbus to Front Royal so I thought we'd trailer the bikes to Front Royal and stay the night at a motel. The next day we'd ride to the end in Waynesboro and stay the night. We'll ride back to Front Royal and spend another night. Head back to Columbus the next day.

Share you thoughts, experiences, tips and tricks. I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

PS - I really don't mean to sound like a dickwad, but right now I'm only interested in Skyline Drive. I know there are better, cooler roads, but I'm not going there this year. So, if your story is about another road, hold it til next time or start another thread. Sorry and thanks for understanding.

Jim

I think I would be ok for a newb ...only issue I see is, im not sure what the fuel range is on that gs but there aren't many exits with near by gas stops so I would plan ahead and scope out some stations

Agreed with above on the gas situation. The other thing to remember is you need to keep the sightseeing portion in check. There are some mad beautiful views from that road and almost no guard rails, you go over the edge and it could be a couple hundred feet almost straight down. There are plenty of pull offs so you can get off to stretch or just to look out and enjoy the countryside. It's not a technical road and with a sportbike most guys will find even 5-10 over the speed limit boring. Most turns you will never need to slow down. It is just a great ride to hold a steady pace and enjoy it for that feature. I rode it twice last year and loved it. First trip was in Virginia from Peaks of Otter up north to Humphrey's Gap. Wish it could have been longer but it was a side excursion off my main route. Later in the year I went from Sparta NC down to the Linn Cove viaduct and back. Was wanting more on both occasions, you will enjoy it. It is a nation park system road so stay close to the speed limit, I have heard stories that speeding fines are steep. Haven't seen anything to confirm the story though.

i rode it 2 years ago. its a great road with tons of good views.

not many places to get off for gas.. but there is a spot about 40 miles into it that you can get off to get gas, its a little far off the drive but its not bad.

you can also fuel up about 5 miles before you get on.

you have to pay to get on skyline drive if you didnt already know.

and if you go over the speed limit they will pull you over (i got pulled over for 60 in a 35, but got a warning)

This is the kind of info I'm looking for - the stuff you don't find online or in the books. I considered the gas situation. I have a ZG1000 Concours with a 7.5 gal tank so I'm good on fuel, but hers has a 3.5 gal tank so there is some concern. She should get just about 120 miles but one never knows and I'm not going to push it. I'd be a dead man if she ran out up there. One thought I had was to carry a one gallon can in my saddle bag as a backup so if she does get low she'll have enough to bail out and get more along the way. I will scout for gas stations along the way before I go. Mapquest can do that for you.

I knew it was a National Park and I knew about the fee. It's $10/per and is good for seven days. Didn't know about the speed thing. I guess I figured 1) too steep and twisty to go fast (in a car anyway), and 2) where would they run radar from up there?

Thanks guys and keep em coming!!

I've ridden Skyline and south where it becomes the Blueridge Parkway. Skyline was beautiful but very congested the day that I was there. In context, I wanted to enjoy the twisties as much as the scenic views and traffic prevented that.

Down on the Blueridge there is no fee to ride and the views are just as breath taking. Same things apply as above, plan ahead for gas, food and lodging. I rode all day and I never got into an issue with any of the above just by using common sense, don't start a ride on a quarter tank, if you stop for food top off. As you get further south, toward Cherokee, the road tightens up but is not an issue for beginners at the posted speed limit. It does become more interesting as you aproach 70MPH! :D

nice road but, riding it gives me a headache. to slow, much traffic. much LEO w/vascar. traffic tickets co$t hundreds.(plural) turned me against skyline drive forever.

Edited by JBWalker

It's a beautiful place to ride man! I live down in dc currently and make that trip often.

Only thing I would say about taking a beginner up there is make sure she is comfortable in riding 180 degree curves with massive elevation changes, it can get wicked depending on what part you ride.. And not a whole lot of room for mistake if you come in hot. My buddy had the same scenario and took his wife up there about a month ago and she went down, she is ok but messed the bike up pretty bad. IMHO rt211 the road that connects you to skyline is more fun than skyline and more consistent. Skyline has a lot of gravel and the cops are assholes. There is also a gas station on 211 about 5 miles south of the skyline drive ramp.

Have fun out there man and post some pics of your trip! You'll love it!

Red

Rccs

yeah, a speeding ticket there is a federal offense, as its federal land.

expensive.

but IMO there is no reason to be going fast on it anyway. slow down and enjoy the ride.

Well we're not looking for massive twisties, just a nice slow ride through the mountains. Like I said she's a newbie so she can't handle that stuff anyway.

I'd love to do BR Pkwy, but that's a little further than we want to travel for the timeframe we have, plus I think it might be a little much for her right now.

I've watched the vids on Youtube and it looks like a nice enjoyable ride. I haven't been there since I was a six year old kid, but I love the mountains and can't wait to go back.

I'm originally from upstate NY (Rochester) and spent most of my summers camping in the mountains from New Hampshire to North Carolina. Look on the map. If you can find some type of historical marker, slave owner's home, somebody's log cabin, chances are I've been there. I just wish I remembered them all. I would take a week in the mountains over two weeks on the beach.

Now, I'm 48, empty nester and the Mrs. and I are looking for places to go!! This ride is on my bucket list and will be first to be crossed off.

I did it on my vfr and got sucked into the twistys and earned a ticket. 35 is too slow on a sporty bike. I want to get back on the Valkyrie for a laid back style ride and that will be much better.

Major tip - watch out for deer and bears! Saw a couple bears and mucho deer. Especially in the late afternoon and evenings.

Also take the wife out on some practice rides in SE Ohio for a warm up.

Good luck

Good idea Mello!! She's been wanting to go to Hocking Hills, get a chalet with a hot tub, do the nasty thaaaang, you get the idea. I know there is a website that list bike friendly cabins and rates the grades leading to the unit so you know whether you can get your bike to the door or not.

She likes the slower more layed back rides. She's got an 82 GS450L and I have an 06 Kaw Concours ZG1000 so we're not really twistie kinda of people anyway; in other words WE'RE OLD F@&KERS!!

I'm with you on Bambi & Yogi. I don't need a rack in the face - unless it's hers of course!! LOL