Traffic

madcat6183

Okay, I don't care if this has been discussed prior or not, but I need to vent.

I did the math, I've driven in about 75% of the states, some during rush hour, some only on weekends, several other countries(Germany, France, Brussels, etc. and China), but I have never seen anything like Columbus traffic.

I am not sure if it goes back to the instructors, or simply the fact that people can't drive here. But I have NEVER experienced more ignorant people on the roads in my life. Everyday, something new amazes me, but it could even be weekends, holidays, middle of the night, but it is daily.

My biggest thing is what I call left laners, pretty explanitory, but I don't get it. Why do people feel that cruising in the left lane is okay? I can't grasp it, I have tried for years, but I can't. You get people in beaters, Benzs, today it was a 7 series BMW w/ 30 day tags. The facts are simple, if you are not ACTIVELY passing people at that time, you should NOT be in the left lane. I don't care if you just passed someone, or see a truck a mile away, don't do it.

My gf, used to do this at times, and when I ride with her, I will rip her, I don't care, my friends, same thing. Anymore it doesn't matter.

The other one I love is when a cop has someone pulled over on the right shoulder and everyone in the far left lane or middle lane decides to slam their brakes on or stop basically, on the highway. Why does this make sense? I always slow down and move from the right lane, but why would you slam your breaks on or stop? Do people think that cop is going to just say screw these people I have pulled over, I am going to get you, even though I have no radar, laser, or pacing proof you are speeding at all?

Please let's jump in here. I want to hear some of your favorites and best stories to date.

And if anyone thinks another city/state is worse, why? I love in NH that the cops will pull you over just for being in the left lane if you are not passing someone. It should be like that in every state, period.

I totally agree. I commute every week day. 1 hour each way. I have at least 5-10 cars everyday that will not get over. I even swerve and get super close to them to let them know i am there. They usually have both right lanes wide open.

Another thing that bothers me is that everyone uses the middle lane, which turns a 3 lane highway into a 2 lane highway. Pass the trucks and get back in the right lane if you are driving slow. Half the time i use the right lane because its faster.

I really enjoy the people that do under the speed limit when there really isnt any reason. Or those in the left lane passing, but passing at about a half mile an hour faster than the person in the lane next to them and not really passing, if you are going to go...go! I do find 270 on the south side to be nice, people do usually move pretty good on it, aside from that though, Columbus is pretty brutal.

My biggest thing is what I call left laners, pretty explanitory, but I don't get it. Why do people feel that cruising in the left lane is okay? I can't grasp it, I have tried for years, but I can't. You get people in beaters, Benzs, today it was a 7 series BMW w/ 30 day tags. The facts are simple, if you are not ACTIVELY passing people at that time, you should NOT be in the left lane. I don't care if you just passed someone, or see a truck a mile away, don't do it

this is my all time biggest pet peeve of driving as well.

I bet SWing'r hates these kinds of people too :D

• Upvote 1

O the fact that people can't drive here. But I have NEVER experienced more ignorant people on the roads in my life.

you have never driven in pittsburgh apparently.

Try 10-12 hours delivering fuel in Columbus/Dayton... I have plenty of time to see bad driving habits all day long... My list of complaints is long... But to hit your point on cruising in any lane seems to be that wonderful technology of the cell phone. People get so wrapped up in their conversations that they forget their other bad driving habits. Bad driving aside I do see some great legs in short mini skirts and more!

ohio drivers are assholes...

my favorite is when i am on a 2 lane, and someone gets mad that I am passing them so they actively attempt vehicular homocide, either by veering into my new lane, or by attempting to drag race whilst I am overtaking them.

Try 10-12 hours delivering fuel in Columbus/Dayton... I have plenty of time to see bad driving habits all day long... My list of complaints is long... But to hit your point on cruising in any lane seems to be that wonderful technology of the cell phone. People get so wrapped up in their conversations that they forget their other bad driving habits. Bad driving aside I do see some great legs in short mini skirts and more!

even people without cell phones don't know how to check their mirrors or judge how quickly a vehicle is coming up on them. I hate when I'm stuck behind someone and not ONCE do they check their mirror for miles.

I drive like what most people would call an asshole 90% of the time. However, I check my mirrors, I get out of the way for faster moving traffic and I've only ever been in one accident that was my fault. I just take it as I'm better than everyone else, which really doesn't come as a shock to me.

I also have been known for being a super asshole and doing the "Ohio Pass". Pass them on the right and then get back over far too close to their front bumper for their comfort. I then watch my mirror to see the reaction which is normally funny. This only happens when I'm super pissed off but never to elderly, I think it'd give them a heart attack.

Edited by Bad324

Oh I definitely have driven in PA, Pitts, Philly, Jersey, VT, NY, PA, CO, etc. I still stand by the fact that Cbus is the worst. I don't mean the most aholes, I mean the worst drivers.

What I have found in NY is that people are Aholes, same iwth Jersey, BUT they drive fast, know what they are doing, and get it done. If osmeone wants to pass me at 100 and then swerve ovre to get out of the left lane, I am 100% fine with that because I will not have to break or even slow down if thy are going 20 mph over what I am.

Never saw all 3 lanes on the highway doing the same speed in a row so no one can pass before until I moved to C-bus. Also, when it rains, people freak out and go 45 on the highway. I know gas is expensive, but I can't stand those going under the speed limit by 5-10 mph on 2 lane roads in no passing zones or with heavy traffic where you can't safely pass.

I'm thoroughly convinced that Ohio is the only state where people will try to legitimately kill you because you're a motorcycle rider, which is pretty sad because there are more licensed motorcycle operators in OH than anywhere else in the country. I've had people actually tell me that they would try to inhibit a motorcycle's forward movement if they attempted to pass a car. Some drivers have some severe anger/self-esteem issues out here. :nono:

I'm also not a fan of the people that just try to 1-up me because I'm on a motorcycle. I'm doing 75 in a 65 in the left lane all by myself with nobody around me and I get blown past by a dude doing 85 in a truck in the next lane over. It could be a Thursday evening when there's nobody else around and this kind of stuff will happen. If you want try that kind of crap, go to Texas where EVERYONE on the interstate is faster than you.

I feel safer riding in CA than in Ohio. If there's an issue up the road, you are allowed to lane split or use an open portion of a lane to ride past it and avoid it all together. That and people in the Golden State actually know how to MERGE and use ALL the lanes of traffic. You alternate one after the other like it's a zipper. It's not hard, people.

Out of the 39 states I've ridden my motorcycle through, I put Ohio and New Jersey on top as the worst car drivers in the United States. Honorable mention goes to Massachusetts for their art of severe tailgaiting.

Edited by the_silverfox

I've seen horrendous driving all over, but many points here are valid. I do not like Chicago congestion, but at least the few times I've driven up there people do not rubberneck like they do here. In fact I came to the conclusion that if there was no blood, they don't even lift off the acclerator. I wish it were that way here. A flat tire on the side of the road can increase my commute by 20 minutes as everyone slows down to look.

Not sure I follow the left lane thing unless you are going slow in that lane. I do not understand why people do that at all. I do often ride there in any vehicle, but its usually at 5-7mph more than the surrounding traffic, I constantly watch my mirros for cars coming up behind me and will move over to the right if that happens, and I typically use it to position myself between "packs" of cars.

My other pet peave is that people totally DO NOT understand how to use both the on and off ramps around Ohio. I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on brakes because of people slowing on the on ramp because they were too stupid to look in their mirrors and adjust speed to just blend into traffic. Likewise, I have seen people cut across two lanes of traffic and race to an exit only to slam on the brakes when they realize they can't make the curve. WTF?

I love how whenever I'm driving to work and merging from 670 to 270 they feel the need to get in my lane, without signalling (when I have my signal on letting everyone around me know I'm merging), causing me to slam on my brakes. I also love how whenever I'm in the middle lane doing my usual 70mph and someone from either the right or left lane decides to cut me off, without the signal, when they were the ones going slower in the first place. I mean I can understand if you were like "oh shit about to miss my exit!" but no they are like "o u kno just wanna cruise here and piss u off lolololololol". I get out of the way if I see someone behind me coming up fast or whatever...

Another thing that gets me is people who drive on Broad street (From Mount Carmel to Pataskala). For some reason they don't grasp the idea of a turn lane and slam on their brakes constantly. Also they don't seem to understand lights and when intersections are backed up.. If there is a back up so much that they are about to block an intersection... you're not suppose to block the intersection. You're suppose to keep it open and they freaking FREAKING HONK AT ME for doing the right thing. Seriously people

Oh yeah. Like previously stated people don't know how to use the entrance and exit ramp from 270 to 70. Like they don't understand the concept of you go then that person goes. No. Everyone is like "IM INA RUSH UR NOT IMPORTANT"

/rant

Edited by gidet

The problem is there are a lot of dumbass morons who will sit in the left lane because "I'm doing the speed limit, I can drive in whatever lane I want"... those are the people I like to Ohio pass and then brake check :D

every state i've driven in, people drive like assholes, myself included. i would say so far, LA was the worst, Phoenix being 2nd place for "almost full retard almost all the time". LA was the only place I've seen where the entire population was full retard full time, even past midnight.

NYC and parts of NJ is up there, but as was mentioned before, it gets confused with "full retard" when in reality, it's just "everyone in a big fucking aggressive hurry". I won't even mention large cities in various asian countries because let's be honest... you can't classify that sort of chaos as "traffic". it's more like a "semi organised swarm".

How about the people who enter the highway at like ten mph slower than the posted speed limit messing up the entire flow of traffic already going the proper speed. Or in reverse... they slow down to like 50 a mile before the exit. I road rage daily. Left laners get the long honk of my f150 horn till they move over. Center lane drag racers are the worst too... i'll keep going faster till i get by. Unless i hit the limiter.

I never complained about the traffic in L.A. Don't get me wrong sometimes it sucked. But never like the movies... Haha,

The one place I hated was Chicago. Could have been because when we where there but we went up for a car show. And o refuse to trailer my car. Fun part of the car shows is drivin there and the looks and conversation you get in on the way. We where sitting in traffic on the road that is by the boardwalk that has the ferris wheel. Can't remember the name. But people start FLYING PAST US. on the shoulder. I could here the rock clicking on the side and glass of the car. We where in dead stop traffic.... The shoulder drivers were going like 60mph... My wife counted 16 cars... One right after another... 17 if you count the cruiser with his lights on behind them....

I was so pissed... The cruiser must have called on the radio right away because there was another cruiser waiting at the next ramp... My wife had to calm me down since I stopped and the cops wanted to cuff me.... They thought I was going to attack I guess...

I flash 'em with the headlights, then give a simple 'beep beep' get over honk, then if they don't get over, I hold the horn.... after a few minutes of that, they usually get over. I get flipped off a lot, but they get the point, right? :)

My other pet peave is that people totally DO NOT understand how to use both the on and off ramps around Ohio. I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on brakes because of people slowing on the on ramp because they were too stupid to look in their mirrors and adjust speed to just blend into traffic. Likewise, I have seen people cut across two lanes of traffic and race to an exit only to slam on the brakes when they realize they can't make the curve. WTF?

^ This. Agreed.