Going up to cleveland on sunday where's a good place to eat/visit

Carwhore

there are a TON of good places to eat in Cleveland/Ohio City, but he's in Ridgeville... that's way West.

If you're going to expand your search to within Cleveland city limits, my wife is touring the "25 restaurants Cleveland can't live without." (as rated by scene magazine)

http://www.clevescene.com/gyrobase/to-die-for/Content?oid=2341604&storyPage=4

I've probably eaten at 8 of them. My wife is workign her way through all 25 this summer. I do trackdays, she drops $100 on a meal with her friends.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want "good" food, check out greenhouse tavern, crop (they might be closed right now, waiting for their new building), mallorca (if you like sea food). pacific east if you like sushi, lola or lolita (if you like michael symon), b-spot (burger and beer, another michael symon joint), paladar or momocho (if you like latin american fusion type food), and a shit ton of other places. the above are places i go to on a semi-regular basis around the cleveland area that haven't been mentioned.

Jbot's list is good. It just depends on what type of experience you're looking for and how far you're willing to drive. Are you bringing kids? That matters too.

I can leave the back door open for you and you can dig up whatever booty you can find while I'm gone..

That last statement is ambiguously vague/gay on purpose.

So ambiguously gay he said it twice.

Shame on me for not reading the first page, I didn't realize he was heading to NRidgeville.

Any "good" places are going to be a haul. Aces was mentioned, and it's on the way southern edge of town. Fine, if you like 'better then bar' bar food. It's pricey for what you get.

I eat at Fiesta Jalapenos in NRidgeville a lot. I love Mexican food though. Otherwise you'll have to go a few towns over (eastward towards Cleveland) for good food. Crocker Park in Westlake isn't too terrible of a haul, but there's nothing really 'Cleveland-native' about it... it's just mostly higher-end chains and bars (a la Cheesecake Factory).

There's a couple nice bars in Avon (Two Bucks - everything is $2) on Detroit Rd. And a really fancy restaurant called "The Strip" ($50 meals). Bubba Q's in Avon if you like BBQ (I've been there twice, not really MY kind of food, but it's definitely filling).

There's a dive bar in Avon Lake called Tailgators that I go to sometimes, and Time Warp in Westlake (much nicer). I think Inya's questions are pertinent to know what you're really looking for (atmosphere, food type, and price-wise).

Waiting 1-2 hours for my meal is not my idea of dining....unless dining includes the owner getting paid while you drink his liquor and beer.

Everyone is different...but if I were the OP I wouldn't want to waste 1-2 hours of my limited time on Sunday waiting around to be called for my table. Unless there were hand jobs and back rubs to be had.

Waiting 1-2 hours for my meal is not my idea of dining....unless dining includes the owner getting paid while you drink his liquor and beer.

Everyone is different...but if I were the OP I wouldn't want to waste 1-2 hours of my limited time on Sunday waiting around to be called for my table. Unless there were hand jobs and back rubs to be had.

honestly I believe their (melt) "stand around and wait for a table" business strategy is to drive liquor and beer sales. Half of their restaurant is waiting area.

roll with the Melt... not sure if they do call ahead or not? I cant remember.

you can call ahead for takeout which I've done several times but they don't do reservations

honestly I believe their (melt) "stand around and wait for a table" business strategy is to drive liquor and beer sales. Half of their restaurant is waiting area.

this

I've heard the East Side location isnt nearly as bad as the LAkewood one

Are you coming by yourself? Do you want bar food, slightly better bar food, or fine dining? Do you want a big beer selection? Don't care about alcohol? What TYPE of food?

Answer those and you'll get it narrowed down.

The offer still stands for you to go in through the back door and rummage around.

..my house you guys. Seriously. Grow up.

When I went to fatheads it was packed to the brim and the wait was about an hour so pretty much any good place is gonna have a wait. I have however gotten a table at melt in 5 minutes before so I guess it is all in when you go as to how packed it will be.

if you spoke spanish, and felt ok with feeling like a total noob outsiders who stumbled into the local awesome mom and pop food joint, i'd send you to pupuseria la bendicion for some el salvadorean food. also, for some reason, their fried chicken is fucking boss. i've had some good fried chicken from all over the damn place, and literally, it is top 5... at least when i went, it was.

but nobody there speaks english. i can stumble by in really awful spanish, and i can sort of semi read it, so it worked for me. they do have menus in english.

if you're going with family though, just go to fat heads. it is much more accessible, and some damn fine sammiches.