09 zx6r electrical issue. dash quits,bike runs rough

drummerjay

2009 zx6 with 4500 miles.Long story short i was leaving ohio to go back to indianapolis on bike. was riding for about 10 minutes, looked down and dash was not working at all. just after that the bike started running real rough and was hard to keep running. i made it to a friends house where i could park it and i physically shut it off, it did not stall.i then tried to restart it and the dash was working again, fuel pump sounded strong but would not crank just clicked. so i had to get in a car and head back to indy. I had one of my friends go over to either haul bike to dealer or do a little troublshooting and get it back to my house in ohio. when he got there the bike fired right up and sat an ran fine.. he shut it off while he got his jacket an helmet ready to ride it back to my house, then it would just click again. He is currently doing some research to try to figure out what this particular piece is called but there was a little black module or box under the tank that he could feel the "clicking" in when it was trying to start. after messing with it a little bit he got it to the point where it started up 4x in a row so he suited up and road it to my house. 8 mins into the ride the dash went out followed by it really not wanting to run and 2 minutes later it quit running and coasted into my driveway. Again he is trying to find the name for what he felt the clicking inside of and i will update with that info. Battery cables are tight, fuses good, always kept on a battery tender, didnt notice any pinched frayed or wires that would be causing an issue. has anybody experienced this and what have you found to be the cause? Thanks

Same here, mine went a step further, the battery got overcharged and burned up, the dealer changed the regulator, ecu and the regulator which was the root cause. Just had only 300 miles on it at that time

2009 zx6 with 4500 miles.Long story short i was leaving ohio to go back to indianapolis on bike. was riding for about 10 minutes, looked down and dash was not working at all. just after that the bike started running real rough and was hard to keep running. i made it to a friends house where i could park it and i physically shut it off, it did not stall.i then tried to restart it and the dash was working again, fuel pump sounded strong but would not crank just clicked. so i had to get in a car and head back to indy. I had one of my friends go over to either haul bike to dealer or do a little troublshooting and get it back to my house in ohio. when he got there the bike fired right up and sat an ran fine.. he shut it off while he got his jacket an helmet ready to ride it back to my house, then it would just click again. He is currently doing some research to try to figure out what this particular piece is called but there was a little black module or box under the tank that he could feel the "clicking" in when it was trying to start. after messing with it a little bit he got it to the point where it started up 4x in a row so he suited up and road it to my house. 8 mins into the ride the dash went out followed by it really not wanting to run and 2 minutes later it quit running and coasted into my driveway. Again he is trying to find the name for what he felt the clicking inside of and i will update with that info. Battery cables are tight, fuses good, always kept on a battery tender, didnt notice any pinched frayed or wires that would be causing an issue. has anybody experienced this and what have you found to be the cause? Thanks

Any luck? It was a fun ride today while it lasted :D

Same thing with a short somewhere while running. Dash and gauges will go goofy and out. Won't start after that, battery voltage is too low. Jump it and the same thing happens again. But it will run ok till it gets shut off. The one I saw, it was the radiator fan not turning, and it shorted out. So the gauges didn't go goofy and out, till the radiator fan tried to run.

Edited by ReconRat

Where's the god damn dislike button... :nono:

i keed :D

I almost bought an 04 750 last week if the guy woulda come down on the redic price he had it at so I promise I'm not hater

• 4 weeks later...