suspension gurus come in..

Hoblick

so after my week long trip with nothing but twisties, im rethinking my current suspension choices.

i love the lowered look, but i need something that handles better.

i love the show, but gotta have the go.

im not a typical harley rider, and i throw my Street Glide around as much as i can.

currently im running some preogressive rate springs, shortened damper tube, and heavier weight fork oil. (gives the SG a great look, but performance wise is lacking alot)

rear shocks are stock shocks that were sent out to be shortened and re worked for my weight, and re valved or sprung or whatever they do. they are adjustable by air pressure from a hand pump.

what im looking at so far..

Progressive makes a Mono Tube catridge setup that replaces the whole damper / wet bath set up.

about $300

Traxxion makes a catridge setup that is just insanely nice, with all sorts of adjustments and what not but its $1200

then racetech makes a HP spring and fork emulator setup to go in the stock forks

my thinking is the mono tubes will be my best bet for a better performing front end.. updating the old technology with a cartridge style i just dont think i can go wrong. and i can still lower the bike some if i want.. i think ill jsut lower it 1" instead of the 1.5" (still want to lower the front because of the 12" wheel)

rear wise

im thinking either the progressive 840 touring shocks $500

Ricor shocks $639

or what id love to have but dont want to pay for Ohlins Shocks $1000

all of the above mentioned are non air shocks

the 940 progressive shocks have a ton of great reveiws, and still give me an inch of lowering but retain stock shock travel.

also id love to have the suspension actually set up to me so i can gain the most out of it.

so any thought on the situation?

need more info on stuff to help me with a decision?

Edited by Hoblick

Isn't this kind of like asking which hard luggage will work best on an R6?

Just seems like you're spending enough on suspension to buy a cheap old sportbike like an F3 or something similar. hell, I am biased because I owned one for so long, but I bet an EX500 is every bit as quick as the glide in a straight line, but wil be "sporty" enough to make you grin a lot.

Isn't this kind of like asking which hard luggage will work best on an R6?

Just seems like you're spending enough on suspension to buy a cheap old sportbike like an F3 or something similar. hell, I am biased because I owned one for so long, but I bet an EX500 is every bit as quick as the glide in a straight line, but wil be "sporty" enough to make you grin a lot.

i cant very well load a ex500 up with my wife and luggage for a week.. and do 2500 + miles comfortably.

im not asking for sport bike handling.. it wont happen, and i know this. what im wanting is a vast improvement over what i have.. which isnt a stretch believe me.

i love my Street Glide, but id like to make it more stable in the bends.

seems like you would run out of ground clearance before you would even get the full benefits of a built suspension?

ground clearance isnt my issue.

the suspension is old technology and stock is like riding in a cadillac.. and on my bike its like riding in a cadillac with bad suspension lol

lowering the bike didnt help obviously. so im gonna be going another route.

im not trying to turn it into a track bike lol

i just want to be able to throw it into a corner and have complete confidence in the bike, and as much stability as i can.

ground clearance isnt my issue.

the suspension is old technology and stock is like riding in a cadillac.. and on my bike its like riding in a cadillac with bad suspension lol

lowering the bike didnt help obviously. so im gonna be going another route.

im not trying to turn it into a track bike lol

i just want to be able to throw it into a corner and have complete confidence in the bike, and as much stability as i can.

gotcha! didnt think of stability being the issue, just thought you wanted to corner low lol

whatever route you take, with how many miles you ride, it would be best to do it right the first time....the ohlins might be $400 more, but if you plan to ride another 30k miles on that bike or whatever, then it might be better in the long run

ive taken shortcuts with suspension work before and not been pleased with it and ended up redoing it anyways...then youre out more than if you had just done it how you wanted it to begin with

had one.. loved it, but for 2 up, loaded down, it just wasnt comfortable for 2000+ mile trips.

any of you guys ever ride 2 up for more than 100 miles around here?

I have on my RR but never anything like you do mileage wise but a 100 miles yes :D It has left me looking for a bike that would do better 2 up prolly a VFR in my future if I can find a deal on one.

really?

can we be mature here?

asking a question from people who know how to set suspensions up

and the differences between different shocks, fork setups

again as stated, i know it wont handle like a sport bike, im just trying to improve the handling, stability of the bike.

I don't know if there is a whole lot you can do with that bike though. it is what it is.

the rake and trail is probably it's biggest obstacle. there is a reason why sport touring and sportbikes look like they do.

tires will also play a big role in the handling of a bike too