Quiz: Identify the traffic infractions

Scruit

Ill start, first problem is he's driving a buick

California stop

The people turning left are turning into the outside lane unless its double lane turns

The van turned into the outside lane

Edited by Jamez

First vehicle didn't wait until traffic was clear before rolling the turn, or didn't stop at all - unsure from the video.

SUV stopped in the crosswalk, but didn't roll until traffic was clear.

SUV turned into the left lane instead of staying in her (the right) lane, and/or didn't signal her lane change.

Buick driver didn't stop for the turn. :D

The only one I see is the car in front not turning into the nearest lane. Both cars were stopped at the stop bar before pulling forward.

1. Not turning into nearest lane.

2. Hyundai not stoping at the stop bar. The car infront of him did.

3. Stopping on the crosswalk.

I see oncoming cars turning into the "far" lane also, but I cannot tell if there are two lanes turning left across the intersection.

I think I know where you're going with this, I recall you had a "pet peeve" awhile back. I think there is something about both lanes being clear before turning into traffic, at least that's what I was taught in drivers' ed. I think there are several redundancies in the rules to allow for somebody screwing up, like not changing lanes within xxx feet of an intersection vs. turning into the nearest lane vs. yielding to both lanes.

IOW, I think what you want to do is wrong, but I may be wrong.

Ok, ok, I'll play! SUV does not stop behind the solid white line, ensuring there are no pedestrians crossing before proceeding forward to obtain a clearer view of oncoming traffic. Once pulled out onto new road, immediately jumps to the middle lane instead of far right lane and then when clear, merge into the middle lane.

Did I win and what's my prize?!

Edited by Kent2406

Here's my list:

1) Several oncoming cars turning into outside lane - but I din't expect anyone here to pick that out becuase you can't tell how many turn lanes there are. Nice catch.

2) The SUV in front of the camera car ran the stop sign. *Even though they stopped*. You can tell by the shadow of the red car in front of him that the red car was stopped straddling the stop bar. The SUV then set off, rolled right past the stop bar and stopped well past the bar. This is a stop sign violation. Won't get you a ticket, but *is* a vioation.

3) The Buick (me) did *not* run the stop sign, even though I set off at the same time as the SUV. As I was stopped waiting behind the SUV I was stopped *at* the line. My duty to stop having been thusly discharged I was free to enter the intersection as soon as it was clear and safe to do so.

4) The SUV (again) then commited one of two violations... Either they turned into the outside lane, or they turned into the insde lane then changed lanes without signalling. It could go either way.

The main thing is *my* stop though. I know people have been cited for running a stop sign for doing this, even though they stopped at the stop bar. One case went to the supreme court. I just can't find the cite right now. The officer in that case admitted that the car had been stopped at the stop bar, however she felt this was not a valid stop because there was a car in front of him (that was stopped pas the stop bar) and that she felt the second driver should have made a second stop. The supreme court found in favor of the driver.

Edited by Scruit

The main thing is *my* stop though. I know people have been cited for running a stop sign for doing this, even though they stopped at the stop bar. One case went to the supreme court. I just can't find the cite right now. The officer in that case admitted that the car had been stopped at the stop bar, however she felt this was not a valid stop because there was a car in front of him (that was stopped pas the stop bar) and that she felt the second driver should have made a second stop. The supreme court found in favor of the driver.

I agree with you there and do the same thing. Unless I misunderstand and you're phucking up the rotation at a multi-way stop by tailgating the car in front of you through the intersection.

I agree with you there and do the same thing. Unless I misunderstand and you're phucking up the rotation at a multi-way stop by tailgating the car in front of you through the intersection.

At a multi-way stop I will always make a point of pulling forward and stopping a second time, even if I only move 3 or 4 feet. Not worth the hassle of dealing with people who would floor it to stop me from "running" the stop sign.