49cc Zuma... Need a plate in ohio?

Dubguy85

Yes it is considered a motorcycle, you need a plate and insurance if you want to use it for the street.

There was something you "didn't" need with a 49cc, can't remember what it is. Motorcycle endorsement?

at 49cc one might think it could pass as a moped, which would require less work, but a quick check on the bmv page yielded:

"The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not:

have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;

produce more than one brake horsepower; and

propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact your local Deputy Registrar location, if you have questions."

source: http://bmv.ohio.gov/moped_info.stm

from that piece of information I would conclude you would need to title it and tag it as a motorcycle. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
You need a plate and an endorsment. I have one and so do 12 of my other buddies. It is just like you buying a motorcycle.

you're half right.

I fairly certain that you don't need an endorsement for vehicles under 50cc.

That might not be true if it's a 2-stroke, but a 49cc 4-stroke definitely doesn't require an "M" endorsement.

Still needs to be registered and plated though.

you're half right.

I fairly certain that you don't need an endorsement for vehicles under 50cc.

That might not be true if it's a 2-stroke, but a 49cc 4-stroke definitely doesn't require an "M" endorsement.

Still needs to be registered and plated though.

I'd check on that. I don't believe that is accurate.

I'd check on that. I don't believe that is accurate.

it appears you are correct. That must have changed somewhat recently, because I am certain I read it on the BMV site, but I can no longer find it.

No time to look very hard now. Maybe later.

it appears you are correct. That must have changed somewhat recently, because I am certain I read it on the BMV site, but I can no longer find it.

No time to look very hard now. Maybe later.

Been that way forever. I've had a few scooters and each had to be endorsed, insured and tagged as a motorcycle. In fact, when I worked at a motorcycle shop in the late 90s, we rented scooters for guys to use for the motorcycle tests...

Anyways, it has to be tagged and is considered a motorcycle...

Been that way forever. I've had a few scooters and each had to be endorsed, insured and tagged as a motorcycle. In fact, when I worked at a motorcycle shop in the late 90s, we rented scooters for guys to use for the motorcycle tests...

Anyways, it has to be tagged and is considered a motorcycle...

No dispute on that part - I was thinking they changed the licensing requirement.

I could swear that you didn't need an "M" endorsement to operate a scooter under 50cc, but I can no longer find that section of the BMV site.