Where Can I find this at a local box store?

Bad324

http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switch-Switcher-Splitter/dp/B0043JBLC0

as the title states I need something like the above link and preferably able to grab it at a local store as I need it by early next week for sure. Also, need it local because I'd like the ability to easily return it if it doesn't work the way I want for this project

Go to any local stereo / home theater installer.

hmm good call. My conundrum is that I will be using it for audio in an RV.

My Dad wants me to add outdoor speakers to his RV with the capability to switch off the inside ones and the only thing I can think of is tap the rear speaker wire and add this inline so he can have the outdoor ones on with the inner rear speakers off

Don't believe it will work the way you are describing. You have to run both sets of speakers to the box, in order to pick from witch one you want. Unless I am not understanding the diagram. It is basically a distribution block with a selector.

The way the diagram shows it, you have to run from the head unit to the box, then both sets of speakers to the box. Factory speakers, could be spliced into it, by cutting and re running, but the outside speakers would have to be completely ran from speakers to the box.

Basically, you would have to wire from the head unit, to a distribution point, then run wires for both sets of speakers.

Why couldn't you just use toggle switches to kill the power from each set of speakers? Same concept, just don't have the box to pick witch set to run. You would have to tap into the wires from the head unit, but same concept.

Edited by DoughnuT

Don't believe it will work the way you are describing. You have to run both sets of speakers to the box, in order to pick from witch one you want. Unless I am not understanding the diagram. It is basically a distribution block with a selector.

The way the diagram shows it, you have to run from the head unit to the box, then both sets of speakers to the box. Factory speakers, could be spliced into it, by cutting and re running, but the outside speakers would have to be completely ran from speakers to the box.

Basically, you would have to wire from the head unit, to a distribution point, then run wires for both sets of speakers.

Why couldn't you just use toggle switches to kill the power from each set of speakers? Same concept, just don't have the box to pick witch set to run. You would have to tap into the wires from the head unit, but same concept.

I've done very simple installs in mine and friends vehicles so anything custom like this is completely new to me. If I am wrong or you have a better solution I'm all for it.

My plan was pretty much to wire it from the head unit as you stated. Then splice the wire running to the rear of the rv to the speakers into the box slot a and the outdoor ones into slot b. If my thinking is anywhere near correct this should be able to toggle between the two speakers. If he wants the front ones turned off, I figured keep it easy and just use the fader so he then only has the outdoor ones on if his GF is on the inside sleeping or watching TV.

Can you explain the toggle switch more? I don't think I follow how that would work or what kind of switch

Or am I just totally over thinking this whole thing and is it possible to use the subwoofer output to run outdoor speakers?

This is the head unit I'm picking up for him today: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDHDR44/JVC-KD-HDR44.html?tp=5684

the sub out on mine is already filtered to lows only. I would be so is that one.

Or connect the inside speakers to the front channel & the outside speakers to the rear channel then use the fade to turn the inside speakers off when wanted. :dunno:

hmm thats the simplest solution yet! I don't know why I always over think things and forget about the simple ones. Unless anyone wants to chime in why this is a bad idea or won't work, I might go this route. My only concern is that if my dads gf is sleeping in the back and hes driving and wants the music up front still. I'll have to give him a call and figure out if thats an issue he'd run into often

My only concern is that if my dads gf is sleeping in the back and hes driving and wants the music up front still. I'll have to give him a call and figure out if thats an issue he'd run into often

Maybe not everyone in the RV would want to listen to Boy George at the same time?

Edited by DGTL GRL

My only concern is that if my dads gf is sleeping in the back and hes driving and wants the music up front still

damn just talked to him, my concern was valid and he doesnt wanna go that route

Any toggle switch would work, as long as it is on/off. All you would have to do, is to put a box with four switches in it. Take the + speaker wire, to each speaker "factory" installed, run from the head unit to the switch, then from the other side on the switch to the speaker. Do that for left and right.

Splice into the line before the switch for the outside, and this will be your power for outside. wire them the same way as the factory, left wires to left outside, and right to right outside, so he can make adjustments if he would want to.

This way, he could even turn the music off, if she is sleeping in the back, and only have the music up front. All it is doing, is breaking the power source of the speaker, and won't let it play. As long as you splice the outside speakers before the break of inside speakers, you can control any combination of the four speakers you would want on.

Just make sure you mark as you go, what switch does what. That way your uncle doesn't get beat by your aunt for waking her.

Edited by DoughnuT

Why do you have to go to a big box store, why not just buy in where you found it?
preferably able to grab it at a local store as I need it by early next week for sure. Also, need it local because I'd like the ability to easily return it if it doesn't work the way I want for this project

this would be why