Helmet Lock

Jamez

Being a fairly new rider I still have no idea what to do with my helmet at times.

I have seen people hang them off the handlebars which I don't agree with and I've seen people set them on the ground by the bike.

I live in a pretty nice area but you never know. I dropped a pretty penny on my helmet and don't want someone walking off with it. SO I started looking into helmet locks but I'm only able to really find bike specific locks.

Has anyone ever seen a plastic wrapped metal cord like for guns or bmx bikes for locking a helmet, or is this a dumb idea?

Thanks

i usually hang on to mine but if i do leave it i just have a small master lock that i use to lock the d-rings to the passenger peg, that same key also happens to unlock my gun case too cuz it was a 2 pack lol

Hey that's nice. Does that fit under rear seat? I have basically no room under mine....

Its about the size of a thick mens wallet..would fit in your jacket pocket if nowhere else to put it..very compact

Don't most bikes have the lip under the passenger seat to lock the helmet to? I do this any where I go so I don't have to worry about it. If they want the helmet they either have to cut the strap or steal the bike?

Don't most bikes have the lip under the passenger seat to lock the helmet to? I do this any where I go so I don't have to worry about it. If they want the helmet they either have to cut the strap or steal the bike?

That's just it they do cut straps so I don't trust that method in an area thats unsecure

If you can manage your bike to accompany this, most bikes do, here is a really clever idea that works well:

Black Diamond "D" carabiner (for rock climbing) is easy to fit in the trunk and once you put it through the helmet's D-rings, clip it over the top frame rail (between the tank and seat mount bolt (swing the latch straight down)) and re-install the seat, it is impossible to remove! The helmet hangs down the side of the bike. Cost - about $6. You can put one on either side for two helmets.

I don't have to use this but I know lots of people that do.

I have one of these..I put it throught the chin guard and around the top of my tripletree

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/CableLocks/4603D

looks like you could cut that with scissors...

i got some 3/32" steel rope, ferrules and made my own little passenger seat hook. sure it could be cut as well, but it would take a couple minutes. and my alarm would be pissing them off the whole time. :rolleyes:

looks like you could cut that with scissors...

i got some 3/32" steel rope, ferrules and made my own little passenger seat hook. sure it could be cut as well, but it would take a couple minutes. and my alarm would be pissing them off the whole time. :rolleyes:

If the thief brings scissors then obviously they really wanted that helmet and I'm not sure there's much you can do to stop them. I think the master lock thing would work great, I'm just looking for something to deter them or stopping the simple grab and go.

If someone wants to steal something bad enough, they will find a way no matter what contraption is holding it on.

I have one of these..I put it throught the chin guard and around the top of my tripletree

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/CableLocks/4603D

Wow, those are pretty nifty :D

I use a metal cable with loops on both ends that is wrapped in rubber that came with my bike and put it through the helmet strap loops then lock into the locking mechanism under my rear seat in my tail. It's also pretty effective but I really like that masterlock cable lock. Looks quick and effective!