Touched up my rusty header with rattlecan high-temp spray paint - pics

Josh1234

My bike isn't exactly a show-queen, but I decided the rusty header was a little much. Here's the "before" pic:

be2.jpg

Yes, it's a single cylinder, so no, it doesn't have a real manifold, and yes, it only has one exhaust header :wtf::o

I screwed up and bought silver, instead of black paint, but since the frame is silver, and I think the exhaust header used to be silver anyway, I just went with it. I'm revisiting this process to do the rest of the muffler soon anyway, so silver is better than rust, and I can always make it black later if I want.

Lots of wire-brushing and sand papering later, I'm ready to paint:

be5.jpg

I placed the bike in my high-tech paintbooth and masked off the area around the header; Translation: on the front walk, I used some painters tape and newspaper:

be6.jpg

It didn't come out perfect, but well enough... and DEFINITELY better than rust :p

The bike from the side:

be7.jpg

3/4 shot

be8.jpg

Yes, I desperately need to re-do my whole muffler in black!

be9.jpg

Big improvement in appearance for $9 in paint and some elbow grease.

• Upvote 1

If you're a little more adventurous, you can take the header off completely and take it to Evans Automotive on Morse Rd. I had my headers done because I hated the look of the untreated metal on my unfaired bike. They cleaned and finished the surface nicely, and it was under $200.

picture.php?albumid=728&pictureid=10680

picture.php?albumid=728&pictureid=10631

If you're a little more adventurous, you can take the header off completely and take it to Evans Automotive on Morse Rd. I had my headers done because I hated the look of the untreated metal on my unfaired bike. They cleaned and finished the surface nicely, and it was under $200.

Nice! I was wondering about removing it, but I didn't because I thought I might need a replacement gasket to put it back on, and I didn't have one handy... But I'm not sure if I will or if it just bolts on. It'd be MUCH easier to sand/paint if I could pull the exhaust though.

• 3 weeks later...